Building & Contents Insurance - we just saved $$$$. Happy days!

frogian

As we all know its expensive here in QLD for home & content insurance and as our current policy is up in a few days time I figured I'd best see if we couldn't save a few quid, so I jumped on the net a couple of hours ago and set about getting quotes.

Figured I was on when I got a quote that saved us $300 as most quotes were coming back in the region of our renewal figure, but some were up to $800 more for the year, for the same cover!

Being honest, who we've just insured with (youi) were last on my list to try due to them having quoted me $2,200 for car insurance a couple of years back. They said it was due to the fact that I had no experience driving in Oz........Hmmmm, I'd been driving for around 18 years, most of that in the UK (accident free, on my part, I may add), before I moved here.......Anyway, that's a different story....

They came through tonight though and have just saved us $1,100! (almost identical cover. The excesses are $100 more each on building and content).

Happy days!

If you are in the market for B&C insurance, give them a go!

Guest The Pom Queen

Might give them a try Suncorp are going up to just under $5k and one company wanted to charge $10,200 :elvis:

As we all know its expensive here in QLD for home & content insurance and as our current policy is up in a few days time I figured I'd best see if we couldn't save a few quid, so I jumped on the net a couple of hours ago and set about getting quotes.

Figured I was on when I got a quote that saved us $300 as most quotes were coming back in the region of our renewal figure, but some were up to $800 more for the year, for the same cover!

Being honest, who we've just insured with (youi) were last on my list to try due to them having quoted me $2,200 for car insurance a couple of years back. They said it was due to the fact that I had no experience driving in Oz........Hmmmm, I'd been driving for around 18 years, most of that in the UK (accident free, on my part, I may add), before I moved here.......Anyway, that's a different story....

They came through tonight though and have just saved us $1,100! (almost identical cover. The excesses are $100 more each on building and content).

Happy days!

If you are in the market for B&C insurance, give them a go!

just out of interest..... regular three bedroom house contents insurance how much roughly are we looking at? Do they allow monthly installments or is it necessary to pay all in one go?

How did you sort your exorbitant car insurance in relation to not having Australian driving experience?

Samdom depends which part of Oz you are looking at for insurance - very different in each state. Re car insurance if you take a letter from your current insurer saying you have held rating 1 for so many years should overcome any insurance probs.

just out of interest..... regular three bedroom house contents insurance how much roughly are we looking at? Do they allow monthly installments or is it necessary to pay all in one go?

How did you sort your exorbitant car insurance in relation to not having Australian driving experience?[/quote

We're in Cairns in a three bed house (out of the flood zones). For building and contents our renewal with QBE (via a broker) was coming in at $2,800 but we got them down to $2,300 by increasing our excess on both buildings and contents from $500 to $1,000.

Youi charged $1,008 with an excess of $600 on both building and contents. As it was so cheap we added in a further $4,500 cover for my OH's engagement ring (covering accidental loss anywhere), which brought the premium up to $1,162. The invoice doesn't split what portion is for buildings and which is for contents I'm afraid.

Although I did the Youi quote on line they had someone call me back to finalize the quote. They asked loads of questions about the house etc so they could tailor the quote accordingly (was on the phone for about 40 mins to them and it was worth it).

Regarding car insurance I phoned around a bit and got it for $580 (I'm only paying around $360 at the moment).

• 2 weeks later...

with the cheaper insurers really do your research; there's a reason why they tend to be cheap; they don't pay out without a fight. Mate who's a panelbeater has a several cars in his yard where the insurers won't pay out and the drivers can't afford to fix them or take the insurer to court so they get dumped, same with the floods - I pay extra for Suncorp simply because they are just about the only insurer who does cover it as standard.

Archived