Hanging frames etc on walls in a rental?

bwatt99

Im finally moving into my rental after as container has cleared customs and due to deliver next week,yahooo.

My questions is on my rental lease it says not to hang stuff on walls using pretty much anything you can think of,is this the norm with having a rental,did you guys who have rented hang anything up or leave the walls blank.

Is there things out there im sure i have seen stuff by i think a company called 3m that says leave no marks on walls are they any good.

I have a lot of nice mirrors,canvass prints of our baby girl etc etc i would love to make it more homely and not have them all stored away,whats your thoughts on renting and hanging frames etc etc on walls.

Be aware if you leave marks or anything from putting hooks or hanging stuff on the walls, you may lose some/all of your bond. Or be redecorating to get it all looking as it was.

Personally, if its a shorter term rental (a year or less) I'd not bother. Get inventive and print some photos off to go in a stand up frame or some such. Stick them on fridges.

Our lease said the same--I think it's a standard wording. However, a bit of negotiation with the landlord gave us permission to hang things so long as we used proper picture hooks and small nails--turned out their bigger concern was things like tape or blue tack that tear the surface of the wall.

Strangely, the managing agent (probably to justify their existence) actually specified a maximum number of hooks--but this was so big we'll never hit it.

As a rental is yours for the period you are paying, you have the right to enjoy living here. That will include hanging pictures, as any normal home has these.

Ask your leasing agent for permission to put them up. Keep the proof of your answer.

Without that, you could always knock in the brass nails that have the hook attached and hang lightish things up. I would only do this on white walls (see below) not coloured ones. Leave the heavy things under the bed until you get your own place (if you do).

Those nails will pull straight out and leave a tiny hole that probably won't even be noticed. If you can see it, shove a tiny dab of wall filler in and your done. If the wall is coloured, you may have issues covering the dab of filler though.

Archived