Help!!!!! Brisbane Or Melbourne??????

kellyjamie

Hi all,

dilema!! weve booked flights and accomodation for our 3 week reccie in june to Melbourne, BUT were wobbling abit and are seriously reconsidering BRisbane!! after speaking to a pom whos been in brisbane for 2 years at the emigrate show on saturday we are now really unsure where to go! were thinking of why we want to emigrate better weather, laid back lifestyle, more family time and things to do together you know all the usual and thinking is brisbane more likely to offer us that? OH MY GOD HELP!!!:arghh: ao anyone please offer your opinions, tho we cant afford to go to both places on our reccie so have to decide now as we may need to change our flights!!!!:goofy: thanx xx

Morning,

I am off to brisbane - purely because of work. i loved Melbs when i was there 16 months ago - and it is 7 years since i was in brisbane. so i have no idea which is better - which is not much help i know.... But:

surely it would cost you money to change accommodation and flights. admittedly - not much - but a bit of cash. Have you had a look at just taking a budget flight to bris for a week? Tiger or virgin blue? if you are looking at making the move for the rest of your life - surely it has to be worth making yourself afford the week in brisbane aswell. or you could end up in melbs or bris thinking "I wish we had gone to look at the other place." don't constrain yourself before even getting there - by cutting down the time on the recce in each place - you might be able to see more of the country.

Good luck

Guest Les & Woz
Morning,

I am off to brisbane - purely because of work. i loved Melbs when i was there 16 months ago - and it is 7 years since i was in brisbane. so i have no idea which is better - which is not much help i know.... But:

surely it would cost you money to change accommodation and flights. admittedly - not much - but a bit of cash. Have you had a look at just taking a budget flight to bris for a week? Tiger or virgin blue? if you are looking at making the move for the rest of your life - surely it has to be worth making yourself afford the week in brisbane aswell. or you could end up in melbs or bris thinking "I wish we had gone to look at the other place." don't constrain yourself before even getting there - by cutting down the time on the recce in each place - you might be able to see more of the country.

Good luck

Hi

I have been to Melbourne and Brisbane. Personally I prefer Brisbane and the climate is much better. Depends if it's the weather you want. Brisbane is much smaller but it's near to lots of really good places (Sunshine Coast & Gold Coast) which are both very different. We want to go and live in Yeppoon north of Brisbane. Check that out on the internet. On your recce please make sure you go to Brisbane even if for a few days you won't regret it.

Good luck !

Lesley

Guest Les & Woz
Morning,

Good luck

Hi

Sorry my reply to you went to ajgwa but you can see it on the wall !

Lesley

Guest JoanneHattersley

I`d say BRisbane! But then we have been here for three years now! We love it! Visited rellies in MElbourne and to be brutally honest we are so glad that we dont live there. We came to Australia for a lifestyle change. In melbourne all we would have achieved is the same lifestyle as UK but different place!We got the lifestyle change in Brisbane. Mild WInters here.

well to be honest the weather is a major thing for us, like the typical whinging pom and that was the one thing about melbourne thats been at the back of our minds, i asked our 11 yr old son this morning which he,d prefer and he said "brisbane mum definately, we will be able to be outside so much more and do loads of stuff as a family" and thats the exact reason for our long drawn out taking 4 years wish i was there yestaerday cant wait to be there move!!:smile:

Guest Les & Woz

You can get really cheap internal flights - some are $10 it's a bit like easy jet!!! Melbourne only just over 1 hour flight from Brissie. You will pick Brisbane when you see it!

Les

Kellyjamie

We are in Noosa at the moment a couple of hours from Brisbane and have spent a week here, a week on the Gold Coast which if you like being entertained is the place to go but it was far too full on for us. the 2 weeks prior to this were spent in Geelong near Melbourne. I have to say that as cities go we personally prefered Melbourne. There seemed alot more to do and it appeared cleaner and seemed more vibrant. There was super public transport and information although the transport was ok in Brisbane we did struggle to find the tourist information. We got internal flights with Virgin Blue and only paid £100 for 4 of us to fly from Melbourne to Brisbane.

As for the weather, well yes Melbourne was cooler but then I think I like the thought of it being more seasonal and you get the variations in daylight. It didn't stop us going out or doing anything whereas since arriving up in Brisbane it has hit 41 degrees which was unbearable and kept us indoors (never happy are we!) it gets humid and it is dusk at 6.30pm and as far as I know there is not much variation on this.

The sea is warmer in Queensland, even me who never goes in the sea has been in at every chance.

For us, we thought there was far more to do near Melbourne than Brisbane.

All this said we had decided that Victoria was for us, now 2 weeks down the line we are as confused as ever.

If there is any way you can stretch to getting both in during your trip I'd do it. They are both such different lifestyles. Could you just come up for a long weekend?

All this said we still can't decide but I am glad that we were able to visit both.

SORRY! I guess this doesn't answer your question.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday, after almost 5 weeks here ours is nearly over and it is a fabulous place,

Michelle

Guest hels269

Hiya

Deffo look into the cheap internal flights - they are next to nothing for internal flights and it will be well worth it. Both Brissy and Melbs are brilliant - i love them both. Melbourne I think is far cooler and by that I dont mean just weather wise. Its far more multicultural and theres loads more to do than Brisbane. I mean queensland is lovely but it isnt the most forward thinking of states in my opinion. However I spent 14 months in Brisbane and love it because I love the water and I love being outside until all hours. It certainly is a dilemma. But i nice one. Id love to have mroe of a choice of where to go. But alas I have to start my trip in Qld and then who knows, I will see what happens.

Good luck with your decision

Helen

I would say Brisbane....you have the Gold Coast to the south, the Sunshine Coast to the north and a nice country town in the middle.

Melbourne is very cultural, but the weather and some of architecture I wasn't keen on.

Brisbane is growing rapidly and you have to look at the money that's being poured into the place to improve the infrastructure and build good communities.

Areas like Seventeen Miles Rock, Sinnamon Park, North Lakes etc... are just a few of many areas that have been designed for modern living.

They're are 2 totally different cities..............Melbourne is more European and has four distinct seasons - sometimes on one day! Depends what you want to do workwise - Melbourne has more industry and a booming economy.

Maybe stick to the original plan and see how it feels..............

Guest liveandworkinoz

Hi there,

I am an Aussie and I wd def advise Brissy!!They don't call it Brisvegas for nothin!!

It can be a tad slow paced,but you can get to the Gold Coast in 40 min as well as Noosa,Byron Bay..etc.Housing prices cheaper as well and the weather is a billion times nicer than Melbourne(as are the people).Mel is a bit like London...hope this helps.J

thankyou everyone, all your advice is much appreciated. we have been trawling the internet for 3 hours looking for cheap internal flights and the cheapest we could get was $240 each return!!! no way will we pay that and nor can we afford that. This is such a very hard decision and we were totally for melbourne but since the weekend have had a change of heart, and to be honest the last place i want to go is some where like London, we want to slow it down abit and chill out were both young enough as are our kids to change our lifestyles and have time to appreciate it. We live outside Edinburgh just now which is home to about just over a million folk and thats probably big enough for us and to be honest we rarely venture into the city anyhow? (am i talking myself into brisbane??) im not a huge fan of the sea but the fact that brisbane has a man made beach is fab as it will have no sharks!! were looking for accomodation in brisbane just now and have been told it will cost us bout £300 to change our flights so we,ll see what happens,

Thanx again:wubclub:

Guest hels269

hiya

i wouldnt go to brisbane for the manmade beach - its pretty small and rubbish and i dont know anyone who goes there - but the lure of the sunshine and gold coast is enough to make brisbane an attractive prospect for families

H

Guest JoanneHattersley
Sinnamon Park, etc... are just a few of many areas that have been designed for modern living.

I live there! Bloody lovely it is too!

Hi all,

dilema!! weve booked flights and accomodation for our 3 week reccie in june to Melbourne, BUT were wobbling abit and are seriously reconsidering BRisbane!! after speaking to a pom whos been in brisbane for 2 years at the emigrate show on saturday we are now really unsure where to go! were thinking of why we want to emigrate better weather, laid back lifestyle, more family time and things to do together you know all the usual and thinking is brisbane more likely to offer us that? OH MY GOD HELP!!!:arghh: ao anyone please offer your opinions, tho we cant afford to go to both places on our reccie so have to decide now as we may need to change our flights!!!!:goofy: thanx xx

I think that Melbourne and Brisbane are two totally different places. Different people like different places....you will get some who rave on about Brisbane and others who will rave on about Melbourne.

Brisbane has the heat all year round and can be very humid. Melbourne has 4 seasons which is nice especially when the temp does get up to 40+. Yes it rains in Melbourne however you only have to look at what the weather has been like in Brisbane the last few months....beaches closed due to constant wind/rain so if you are looking for the outside life style this maybe something to think about.

To be honest I think it all comes down to personal choice....however I would say that when you come over to validate remember that any holiday is different to actually living in a place.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Deb xx

hiya

i wouldnt go to brisbane for the manmade beach - its pretty small and rubbish and i dont know anyone who goes there

H

It's pants, isn't it? Mind, it's being done up at the moment.

Live on the Gold Coast; have only been to Brissy a couple of times, but it's okay down here! Great for a visit if you decide on coming to Brisbane- maybe another spanner in the works?

Good luck,

Jo x

Guest Clare1969

I know exactly were you are coming from such decissions. We were going to Melbourne until 4 weeks before moving date then we changed our minds completely and decided on Brisbane/Gold Coast and have not looked back we have now been in Ormeau (northern gold coast) for nearly 4 months and love it, we decided that if we were having a change of life why not go for the complete change in weather as well, just wished we had made the decission before we had booked the flights and removals as the last 4 weeks in the UK we a bit stressful.

Guest JoanneHattersley
I think that Melbourne and Brisbane are two totally different places. however you only have to look at what the weather has been like in Brisbane the last few months....beaches closed due to constant wind/rain so if you are looking for the outside life style this maybe something to think about.

This is not an every day occurence in Brissie! We are in the monsoon season , which is why we have had excessive rain and some high winds.

The outdoor lifestyle continues here through wind and rain! You will still be able to go places when it rains and I guarantee you can find people sitting in outside coffee shops even in teh rain!

Im glad that they have the sense to close the beaches if that is what is needed!

This is not an every day occurence in Brissie! We are in the monsoon season , which is why we have had excessive rain and some high winds.

The outdoor lifestyle continues here through wind and rain! You will still be able to go places when it rains and I guarantee you can find people sitting in outside coffee shops even in teh rain!

Im glad that they have the sense to close the beaches if that is what is needed!

Dont think I actually said that this is an everyday occurance!! OP was asking for experiances of Brisbane and Melbourne, I was pointing out that Brisbane does not always have perfect weather just like Melbourne doesnt.

However as you said Brisbane is in the monsoon season which is a regular occurance!! Something that OP i am sure would want to know about so as to take that into account!!

As with Brisbane, Melbourne also offers an outdoors life style during the not so good weather!!

If closing the beaches is what was needed its because safety comes first, I was pointing out that this is what has happend and obviously not being able to go on the beach might be a big thing for OP, in no way did I expect you to take it personally!!!!

Deb xx

Guest TRACEY & PETER

We are hoping to settlein Melbourne although we will live about an hour outside city, not keen on cities, brought up in london and now live in essex about an hour out,

Anyway, we have decided on melbourne because of the weather being seasonal, i dont like the thought of housework when the weather is too hot and quite like the start of the winter in UK, just a shame if lasts so long and a shame we dont get a nice summer.

We havnt been to oz and cant really afard to go before we move, so we are tring not to have changes of minds because its just to hard to get a realistic view from anywhere, because we are also different and like and dislike different things.

I havnt been much help to you but its made me feel good writting that down.

Cheers

I would hope that both places are great and a great deal nicer places to live than here.

Tracey.

Archived