2 links say a thousand words.....

surfndirt

So (from what you've posted) thanks to employer sponsorship it cost you nothing to get to Australia and it will cost you nothing to leave Australia, yet still you moan on. Or do these posts help make you feel like you've made the right decision?

Hi Peach, yeah - cost me nowt to move here 8 years ago. Wasn't Australia that paid for it though! Nah, I am going to pack in my current job - sell the bikes and ute and turn up at DFW on a wing and a prayer. No-one is paying for emigration # 2 :-). Apologies if it seems like a moan - just telling it like it is. Maybe one day your neighbours inspired rose tints will also start to wear thin... Again, I love the place and I'm 100% that I will be back at some point. Just not interested in being part of the scam for a while is all....

Hi Peach, yeah - cost me nowt to move here 8 years ago. Wasn't Australia that paid for it though! Nah, I am going to pack in my current job - sell the bikes and ute and turn up at DFW on a wing and a prayer. No-one is paying for emigration # 2 :-). Apologies if it seems like a moan - just telling it like it is. Maybe one day your neighbours inspired rose tints will also start to wear thin... Again, I love the place and I'm 100% that I will be back at some point. Just not interested in being part of the scam for a while is all....

Well rid of such a miserable person.

Happy (if you can manage it) flight.

Oh, and don't come back - until you have changed your attitude.

Stop whinging!!!

Australia (Perth in particular) is worth every inflated dollar to live here.

It is all about quality of life - surely!!!!!

Please go to where you can buy a cheap house - enjoy.

Australia needs positive people who realise that like all economies there are blips. But, (as an ex Brit) I wouldn't swap my life here in Perth for a cheap house anywhere.

Sure is, all about quality of life. That's why I left Perth after 6 months of being there and went back to the East coast. That's why I'm now off to the US after 7.5 years on the East coast. That's exactly what it's about.... And what my original post was about. Agree completely. Not whinging - telling it like it is, many don't like the fact though. Aussie is an overpriced economy with a large population of un-educated aggressive people, that has some of the best immigration propaganda machines in the world - specifically targeting the UK and now more than ever India and China. Hell, they're gonna have to find some people to buy the boxes in Point Cook - again, telling it like it is. As has been mentioned many times on here before - look up the actual meaning of the term - 'lucky country'. Again, I am a citizen and love the place - doesn't mean I can't be critical about it - in just the same way as the UK with it's issues etc etc.

[h=2]2 links say a thousand words.....[/h]

All they say is that you don't understand the relationship between housing demand and housing supply and their relationship to the economy.

Suggest you go away and learn about this before lecturing other people about the economy: otherwise you just make yourself look foolish.

Property sales and demand are picking up across Australia. Hopefully, the new building forecasts are gradual, rather than boom style growth. Australia is entering a new economic cycle.

There has been a levelling off in mining, which to a large degree needed to happen but other aresa like agriculture are picking up the slack. In 2013 Asia's middle class is now 500 million. By 2035 the middle class of Asia will be 3,000 million, yes 3 bn people on Australia's door step will drive demand for dairy, meat protein etc. Btw, that same population would live here in a heart beat given the opportunity. The queue of investors with $5million for the investor visa is growing.

Also, the population of Australia is projected to grow to 40 million by 2050, up from 23 million today, that is close to a 75% increase in numbers in less than 30 years.

Well rid of such a miserable person.

Happy (if you can manage it) flight.

Oh, and don't come back - until you have changed your attitude.

You do realise you are in the 'moving back.....' forum? The place where people can discuss and critique life in Australia after (in many cases) long periods of time here? Again, many people seem to really dislike the critique but have no issue with it when considering another country i.e. US / UK. Seems you may have been spending too much time looking at the bright lights coming out of the box in the corner of the room rather than thinking for yourself. Anyway, no malice intended - enjoy Perth, there's plenty to enjoy. All the best, SurfnDirt

Sure is, all about quality of life. That's why I left Perth after 6 months of being there and went back to the East coast. That's why I'm now off to the US after 7.5 years on the East coast. That's exactly what it's about.... And what my original post was about. Agree completely. Not whinging - telling it like it is, many don't like the fact though. Aussie is an overpriced economy with a large population of un-educated aggressive people, that has some of the best immigration propaganda machines in the world - specifically targeting the UK and now more than ever India and China. Hell, they're gonna have to find some people to buy the boxes in Point Cook - again, telling it like it is. As has been mentioned many times on here before - look up the actual meaning of the term - 'lucky country'. Again, I am a citizen and love the place - doesn't mean I can't be critical about it - in just the same way as the UK with it's issues etc etc.

At a guess, I would say you are originally from Yorkshire UK - or thereabouts.

All they say is that you don't understand the relationship between housing demand and housing supply and their relationship to the economy.

Suggest you go away and learn about this before lecturing other people about the economy: otherwise you just make yourself look foolish.

Hi Skani, good point - taken on board. Thanks for the feedback. Still doesn't get around the fact that people can live in a little box in one of the shitest areas of Melbourne or that place in TX with the link though? Geez, really stirred up some people with it though, guess that's what these forums are for. Again, you do realise you are in the 'Moving Back.....' forum where people are allowed to think and express that maybe moving 'back' / or 'across' is a good idea for a while? My post was not really intended to offend people who are happy here in Aussie - that's why I put it here. So if it did then I apologise... I guess that is the bigger question - why you biting?

Hi Skani, good point - taken on board. Thanks for the feedback. Still doesn't get around the fact that people can live in a little box in one of the shitest areas of Melbourne or that place in TX with the link though? Geez, really stirred up some people with it though, guess that's what these forums are for. Again, you do realise you are in the 'Moving Back.....' forum where people are allowed to think and express that maybe moving 'back' / or 'across' is a good idea for a while? My post was not really intended to offend people who are happy here in Aussie - that's why I put it here. So if it did then I apologise... I guess that is the bigger question - why you biting?

Lived in the North of England for too many years (36) and got sick of the whinging, whining and 'it's not fair' attitude from so many Northerners. Some lovely friends too - don't get me wrong - but so glad to be living in a positive go-getting place like Australia.

And, yes, I do know this is about going back to the UK.

Just dropped by to make me realise that I made the right choice.

This really isn't the place for you, and I am sure you will take your negativity to the States too. Lucky them.

Lived in the North of England for too many years (36) and got sick of the whinging, whining and 'it's not fair' attitude from so many Northerners. Some lovely friends too - don't get me wrong - but so glad to be living in a positive go-getting place like Australia.

And, yes, I do know this is about going back to the UK.

Just dropped by to make me realise that I made the right choice.

This really isn't the place for you, and I am sure you will take your negativity to the States too. Lucky them.

Yeah cool, sounds like you have made the right choice. Awesome..... It's a great feeling when you make a big decision like that based on a premise of leaving where you currently are for a better life / more opportunities elsewhere hey. Again, all the very best to you and yours.

Yeah cool, sounds like you have made the right choice. Awesome..... It's a great feeling when you make a big decision like that based on a premise of leaving where you currently are for a better life / more opportunities elsewhere hey. Again, all the very best to you and yours.

Thanks - a decent response.

Wish you all the best.

I looked at the pic of the house in Footscray and wondered why it is so cheap. I would have expected about $450,000 for that one. You just don't get houses under $350,000 anymore. Perhaps it has bad foundations or something, I don't know. As for the American house everyone knows they have gone bust over there so what's the issue? My daughter's friends have bought 6 houses in the US for peanuts, renting them out.

I looked at the pic of the house in Footscray and wondered why it is so cheap. I would have expected about $450,000 for that one. You just don't get houses under $350,000 anymore. Perhaps it has bad foundations or something, I don't know. As for the American house everyone knows they have gone bust over there so what's the issue? My daughter's friends have bought 6 houses in the US for peanuts, renting them out.

It's not a house, it's a unit and I have to say it looks in poor condition, very much bottom end of the market. Yuck.

There is something very, very wrong with the Aussie economy - that, there is no doubt at all....

Footscray, Melbourne

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-footscray-113749843

Richardson, TX

http://www.trulia.com/property/3121924068-2807-W-Prairie-Creek-Dr-Richardson-TX-75080

Not even the most cripplingly rusted on 'Oz is not in for a fall' supporter and can look at these and have a valid argument. Impossible.

...... I bet there will be people who will try though :-)

Enjoy.

The Texas one is in Tornado Alley. The one in Melbourne has less chance of getting taken out by a tornado, thus no rebuild costs.

My post was not really intended to offend people who are happy here in Aussie - that's why I put it here. So if it did then I apologise... I guess that is the bigger question - why you biting?

I'm not in the slightest bit offended. Why am I "biting"?

Because you wrote that those 2 photos prove " There is something very, very wrong with the Aussie economy - that, there is no doubt at all...."

They don't prove that at all. They might show that there is a problem with housing affordability in Australia.

But that is not the same as "the Aussie economy".

On the contrary, the fact that so many great value houses can be bought in the US is frequently a direct result of drastic problems in their economy after the GFC. So many people lost their jobs or were offered fraudulent loans which they couldn't repay that they had to walk away from their homes. Oversupply leads to lower prices.

The situation is the reverse in Australia.

I'm not in the slightest bit offended. Why am I "biting"?

Because you wrote that those 2 photos prove " There is something very, very wrong with the Aussie economy - that, there is no doubt at all...."

They don't prove that at all. They might show that there is a problem with housing affordability in Australia.

But that is not the same as "the Aussie economy".

On the contrary, the fact that so many great value houses can be bought in the US is frequently a direct result of drastic problems in their economy after the GFC. So many people lost their jobs or were offered fraudulent loans which they couldn't repay that they had to walk away from their homes. Oversupply leads to lower prices.

The situation is the reverse in Australia.

I would disagree that many of the loans were fradulent. They weren't. People were caught out by their own greed and not thinking things through (thus giving them the opportunity to blame others when it all went wrong and they could not afford the repayments). I saw an article in the UK with a section on a young lady who wanted to buy her first house. The house she had her eye on cost £250k. She earned £25k and had a 10K deposit. She had no concept that a mortgage of 10x her salary was stupid and that she would be bringing herself no end of problems when she could not afford the repayments - even on an interest only basis. She was outraged that the bank had actually turned her down for the mortgage, so was going to try a less reputable lender and do one of those mortgages where you self-assess your income (can't remember offhand what they are called but they are generally the ones that people who are self-employed would go for). In this case, she was the one acting fradualently, not the bank.

The fact that the bank is willing to lend you the money does not mean you are obliged to take it. Personal responsibility has to take priority, rather than just blaming the banks as if people were forced to take out the loans in the first place.

I would disagree that many of the loans were fradulent.

I was referring specifically to the situation in the US where loans were made by banks to people who obviously couldn't afford them, where documentation was deliberately falsified by the banks, the conditions were not explained to the borrowers, and then the mortgages were onsold to other financial institutions - which weren't aware of the shonkiness of the loans - so that the original lenders didn't suffer a loss. In this way the banks acted fraudulently to the borrowers by not disclosing all the facts and also acted fraudulently to the other financial institutions to whom they sold the mortgages.

Anyway, the ultimate result of all this was that house prices dropped by an average of 30% in the US....which was the point I was trying to make to the OP.

• 7 months later...

If you are going to USA to avoid Indians and Chinese,then you are jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Archived