Moved from brisbane to paignton devon - fantastic removalists both ends

fizzybangs

We had Kent (Wacol) in Brisbane who went overboard to help us, fantastic rate, did absolutely everything for us. Kent contacted White & Co in UK who were also fantastic. I'm quite awed by the whole experience having always previously packed and unpacked everything myself! Delivered when they said it would be, nothing missing and nothing broken or damaged. Communication from both companies was first rate with almost immediate responses even when I emailed the Manager at Kent on a Sunday night at 9pm thinking he would get it the next morning!

Hi Fizzybangs,how's life in Paignton?How long since you arrived back?Glad to hear your removalists did the right thing by you!x

Left Oz 16th April and returned via Los Angeles for a break there arriving 21st April at Heathrow. We were in a holiday cottage near the beach to start with but moved into rented flat overlooking Paignton Harbour 2 weeks ago and it is AWESOME! Every day I wake with joy. We cannot keep up with the stuff we want to see and do. We've had visitors since being back and have been visiting in Cornwall and Slapton Sands but really haven't started with all the family yet - so many to see all over the UK. Weather doesn't faze me so far and now I go and sit in the sun and enjoy it instead of hiding under cover. I am sleeping better and feeling so much fitter every day so must be the water or climate or something!

The weather variability is counteracted by the awesome scenery, the parking problems and costs here at the coast are counteracted by the fact that we can walk everywhere and the public transport is awesome - every 10 minutes to Torquay, Newton Abbot, Dartmouth and buses to Exeter or Plymouth and then there are the trains not that we've used them yet. However, despite running all over the place buying stuff our fuel expenses haven't changed at all! Our weekly food bill is a third of the cost! Wish I'd bought an i pad in Oz though as they are cheaper there LOL Everyone is so darned polite and friendly it has been such a shock to realise how rude and unfriendly Australian's actually are.

Left Oz 16th April and returned via Los Angeles for a break there arriving 21st April at Heathrow. We were in a holiday cottage near the beach to start with but moved into rented flat overlooking Paignton Harbour 2 weeks ago and it is AWESOME! Every day I wake with joy. We cannot keep up with the stuff we want to see and do. We've had visitors since being back and have been visiting in Cornwall and Slapton Sands but really haven't started with all the family yet - so many to see all over the UK. Weather doesn't faze me so far and now I go and sit in the sun and enjoy it instead of hiding under cover. I am sleeping better and feeling so much fitter every day so must be the water or climate or something!

The weather variability is counteracted by the awesome scenery, the parking problems and costs here at the coast are counteracted by the fact that we can walk everywhere and the public transport is awesome - every 10 minutes to Torquay, Newton Abbot, Dartmouth and buses to Exeter or Plymouth and then there are the trains not that we've used them yet. However, despite running all over the place buying stuff our fuel expenses haven't changed at all! Our weekly food bill is a third of the cost! Wish I'd bought an i pad in Oz though as they are cheaper there LOL Everyone is so darned polite and friendly it has been such a shock to realise how rude and unfriendly Australian's actually are.

Welcome home Fizzybangs .....and when you get a couple of hours .....CROYDE .........glad you are enjoying it .....so much to see and do .....

As an aussie I am disappointed most of the time by the behaviour, most (minority excluded..me & others :cute:) are very rude especially on the west coast!

Good to hear that you are settling in nicely. I do so agree - the friendliness levels are way high here! And getting up in the morning is actually a joy! I envy you Paignton, it's a nice little place!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jean95

Hello Fizzybangs. We are returning to Scotland after 26 years in Oz. And we have also chosen Kent for our shipping. So it was good to hear that you had such a positive experience with them. Must admit of the other companies from whom we requested quotes Kents was the only one who actually came to our house and checked out what we wanted to ship. That was a big plus in my book. We are looking at returning home in late September or early October and John from Kents said he will call round again because of course we have changed our minds on what we are shipping.:laugh: However no problem for him. Great first impressions.

One other thing I would like to ask anyone with advice out there. We will have to buy a house when we return to the UK and so obviously we can't provide an address for delivery. We will be staying with my sister until we get that settled and she does not have the room to store this amount of stuff. So what would be the cost of storage in the UK? If anyone has any knowledge on that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hello Fizzybangs. We are returning to Scotland after 26 years in Oz. And we have also chosen Kent for our shipping. So it was good to hear that you had such a positive experience with them. Must admit of the other companies from whom we requested quotes Kents was the only one who actually came to our house and checked out what we wanted to ship. That was a big plus in my book. We are looking at returning home in late September or early October and John from Kents said he will call round again because of course we have changed our minds on what we are shipping.:laugh: However no problem for him. Great first impressions.

One other thing I would like to ask anyone with advice out there. We will have to buy a house when we return to the UK and so obviously we can't provide an address for delivery. We will be staying with my sister until we get that settled and she does not have the room to store this amount of stuff. So what would be the cost of storage in the UK? If anyone has any knowledge on that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hi Jean,

When we moved from Canada to the UK a few years ago we stayed with our mum and put everything into storage. We rented 9 cubic m for about 100 pounds per month in Matlock, Derbyshire. It was probably on the slightly more expensive side but was very dry, climate controlled and very secure. That was enough for all our stuff coming from Canada (enough furniture for a 1 bed flat more or less). We used it for just over a year in the end. That was in 2009 not sure if prices would have gone up very much since then.

Archived