Off to Oz and full of questions!

Wanji

Since I came home last summer after traveling in Georgia, Armenia and Iran, I've been thinking about my next big trip. Australia popped into my head immediatly. I graduated two days ago and with the shitty economy and lack of jobs it's the perfect timing for me to get my WHV and catch a plane to Oz.

I haven't booked my flight yet but i'm thinking of arriving in Cairns sometime in September so I can go and look for some regional work. Do you guys think Cairns is the best place to start during that time of year or would you advise a different place? I dont like big cities so I don't want to spend a lot of time in Sydney.

What about bankaccounts, which bank has the most atm's and not only in big cities but also in smaller towns?

How about simcards for my mobile. Which provider has the best coverage around country?

I have an Iranian visa in my passport. Do you guys think I will get in some trouble with immigration? I have a Dutch passport. Or do you guys think it's a good idea to get a new passport? This one is still valid untill june 2015.

The distances in between places in Oz are huge. I probably want to cover them by public transport. As I'm not in a rush, would you get a Greyhound pass or just buy tickets for each trip you want to make?

Any other general advise?

Thanks!

Guest lulum1986

I'm also interested to see the responses to this thread. I'm going travelling but in Jan. I can't afford to go before. I want to start in Cairns but have been advised to go start in Sydney at this time because of the weather? not To sure for myself either. Would ideally like to start in Cairns and work my way down to end up in Sydney

Hey :) so i'm off to Oz in September too and i'm starting in Melbourne. September is like spring/summertime so In NSW and Victoria etc its getting hotter but up north it is the rainy season as its a bit more of a tropical climate. Im hoping to do my farmwork in Jan but will be looking to do it somewhere in NSW. Hope this helps :)

Hey :) so i'm off to Oz in September too and i'm starting in Melbourne. September is like spring/summertime so In NSW and Victoria etc its getting hotter but up north it is the rainy season as its a bit more of a tropical climate. Im hoping to do my farmwork in Jan but will be looking to do it somewhere in NSW. Hope this helps :)

Why do you wanna do it in NSW in january? More jobs available at that time of year?

NAB , ANZ banks have ATMs and branches all over...

Vodafone , TELSTRA are the best IMO

Why dont you start from the west,,,as you mentioned you dont like big cities...Start from Perth and ...you could njoy the weather now...:)

Cheers Njoy

It does! Can't say more

I'm intrigued! So visiting certain countries upsets immigration? As in you can't get a visa for oz or they'll grill you as to why you were there? I have to say this has never even crossed my mind before, but I'm very interested to know more if anyone has anything to add?

Guest Ptp113
I'm intrigued! So visiting certain countries upsets immigration? As in you can't get a visa for oz or they'll grill you as to why you were there? I have to say this has never even crossed my mind before, but I'm very interested to know more if anyone has anything to add?

More scrutiny after visiting certain countries

I would fork out for another visa, just to save any hassles... nothing worse than a 24hr flight to be grilled by customs why you have a visa on your dutch passport.... not that it should matter that you travelled, but still just to save hassles...

Landing in september I would do cairns first and travel down south, September should be a nice time up north.... If possible try and do your regional work on the way down south.. Ussually you'll find plenty of work notices on noticeboards in hostels ( that's to say your staying in hostels, otherwise you could always pop into hostels to check out availability and check the notice boards when leaving ;-) )make your way down to sydney for new years eve, it'll be a night you'll never forget.. I can still remember 1994 NYE like it was yesterday( wasn't backpacking then, still lived there before we headed to europe later in the year )

Archived