16 year old looking to immigrate to perth with family from uk , need help.

BrandonAustin

Is there anyone that can give me some advise?

I am 16 and have recently left school in the UK, me and my family are looking to immigrate to Perth within the next 7 months.

I would just like to know if the English GCSE's are equivalent to any Australian qualification or if they mean anything at all , also would I have to go to a school or college when we immigrate.

Finally, if I do have to go to a school what year would I be in ?

Thank you

In Australia the formal qualification comes at the end of school - 18. There is no equivalent to GCSEs and most people stay at the same school from Years 7 - 12 (8-13 for you). The difference here is that there is less of a split at 16. Most people continue on to 18 in their school. This is partly because most secondary schools offer a range of subjects in years 11 and 12 that are not as academic, so people can find a mix to suit them. Some people switch to a Technical and Further Education (TAFE) college for year 11 and 12, but most stay put.

Year 11 and 12 here is not the same as A levels. depending on the state, people do 5 or 6 subjects (English is compulsory) rather than 3 or 4, so the standard is a bit lower as there are more subjects to complete.

Some people leave school early to take up a trad ethrough an apprenticeship - although the majority probably still do Year 12.

The best idea for you would be to go to school. You will make some friends which will help you settle in. You would be going into Year 11 and the school year starts at the end of January. That class will be a mix of 16 and 17 year olds - and your GCSEs will have prepared you well for that.

If you really do not want to do that, you should look into TAFE courses - either for year 11 and 12 or another qualification. Leaving school at 16 in Australia with no qualifications will not help you down the track, especially as your GCSEs do not equate to anything here really.

Good luck!

If I were you Brandon I would look to finish school, get a few mates and then look at either Uni or an apprenticeship.

If you like any sort of sports you are coming to the right place, aussies love their sport and just about everything is catered for. Finishing of school would be a good way to get into it and meet some like minded people.

Good luck to you and your family mate.

Archived