Environmental Scientists

I don't know if there's a shortage. If you look on seek.com it will give you an idea of what sort and how many jobs are around. I just did a quick look and there were over 500 jobs in WA on there including the word 'environmental'.

However, there are jobs with the regulatory bodies and plenty of consultancies around. All the big construction jobs have to have environmental plans in place, and supervision and monitoring on site. There is also a lot of environmental coastal and off-shore/ reef monitoring too.

One of the major enviro consultancies in my town has just made half its staff redundent, can't speak for the rest of the country but we've so far been fairly immune from the downturn so signs of the times.

Incidentally, if you're planning on trying to get an enviro job in Aus, please please please mug up on the relevent legislation before you come; we've employed three UK enviros in the last 4 years and none of them were able to stand on their own two feet, it's actually put us off employing overseas staff.

Archived