The best path forward from a 457 visa

newtothis

We are living in WA on a 457 four year visa. we arrived nearly three months ago and love it here. we are really keen to make life more permanent now we are finally here and I have spent quite a bit of time figuring out the best path forwards.

Life feels a bit unsure...the boss appears happy with my partner but his manager seems determined to cause problems and I am worried this could impact on his future employment.

Im so confused by the options open to us, and unsure if any provide a bridging visa.

As a chef, my partner qualified in July 2011 and has not had a TRA skills assessment. We are unsure if any employment prior to this counts towards his career.

Im sure many people have felt in a similar position and I would really appreciate any advise on the best visa options which we could put in place ASAP that may offer more security

thanks in advance

Hi,

we came over on a 457. It is, in my opinion, a very insecure visa. My partner lost his job and we were given 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave Australia. Luckily he got a new sponsor. This has happened to s 3 times now. His last employer eventually sponsored us for Permanent residency and after a year with them, we were able to apply for citizenship. It has been a rocky, an expensive , road. My advice is to get your partners work to sponsor you and put in for PR ASAP. So you have more security. Good luck

Hi,

we came over on a 457. It is, in my opinion, a very insecure visa. My partner lost his job and we were given 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave Australia. Luckily he got a new sponsor. This has happened to s 3 times now. His last employer eventually sponsored us for Permanent residency and after a year with them, we were able to apply for citizenship. It has been a rocky, an expensive , road. My advice is to get your partners work to sponsor you and put in for PR ASAP. So you have more security. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. That would have been the plan originally but the way he is being treated at work suggests to me that his manager wants him out and although it might be worth him speaking to the actual boss its a tricky decision to make. He doesnt want to rock the boat but there are so many things that are just ridiculous and unfair...just makes me so upset and mad

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles @newtothis.

I thought you had to have completed 2 years on a 457 visa before you're able to apply for PR? And do you need an employer to sponsor you for a PR visa, or can you do that alone?

Hi, I am going to melbourne on a 457visa in next few weeks hopefully. I did inititally have some problems with my employers saying they were only sponsoring me for 2years but that is now resolved and they are sposnoring me for 4yrs. I was worried when they said they would only sponsor me for 2yrs so i looked into PR visas. How it basically works is your employer could sposnor you for a PR visa when you have worked with them for at least 2yrs. Or you could apply for a PR visa yourself at any time, but this would depend on how much experience you had prior to coming to australia. It is based on a points system, and you need to be able to score 60points to be able to lodge the visa application. There should be info on australian immigration website. Hope that helps and good luck. jess x

We are living in WA on a 457 four year visa. we arrived nearly three months ago and love it here. we are really keen to make life more permanent now we are finally here and I have spent quite a bit of time figuring out the best path forwards.

Life feels a bit unsure...the boss appears happy with my partner but his manager seems determined to cause problems and I am worried this could impact on his future employment.

Im so confused by the options open to us, and unsure if any provide a bridging visa.

As a chef, my partner qualified in July 2011 and has not had a TRA skills assessment. We are unsure if any employment prior to this counts towards his career.

Im sure many people have felt in a similar position and I would really appreciate any advise on the best visa options which we could put in place ASAP that may offer more security

thanks in advance

Have a look into the RSMS pr visa or the ENS direct stream if eligible? A migration agent will fill in the blanks for a small fee or free consultation. WA is considered regional whether you live in the CBD or in the countryside.

Try get a second opinion if one agent says its not possible, to be completely sure.

One option is to see if employer will sponsor for the permanent visa, although that seems unlikely based on what you have said.

The other options is skilled migration, however you would need state sponsorship as a chef and you are unlikely to get that from any state but the one you are living in already. You need to check the state sponsorship list.

The final option is that you are the main applicant, are you in an occupation on the SOL or CSOL?

Hi, I am going to melbourne on a 457visa in next few weeks hopefully. I did inititally have some problems with my employers saying they were only sponsoring me for 2years but that is now resolved and they are sposnoring me for 4yrs. I was worried when they said they would only sponsor me for 2yrs so i looked into PR visas. How it basically works is your employer could sposnor you for a PR visa when you have worked with them for at least 2yrs. Or you could apply for a PR visa yourself at any time, but this would depend on how much experience you had prior to coming to australia. It is based on a points system, and you need to be able to score 60points to be able to lodge the visa application. There should be info on australian immigration website. Hope that helps and good luck. jess x

An employer can sponsor for PR at any time, no two year minimum work requirement. The only thing you would have to do additionally before the two year mark is a skills assessment.

Archived