Bank Account has been compromised

paul2542

Guest The Pom Queen

We had a pio member stay with us and they had a commonwealth bank card and I can confirm that they seem to do everything via text as he gave me mobile and I'm still getting texts about this account despite me telling them he has gone back to the UK and its an incorrect number

Had this happen to me twice with two different banks. Last time I was travelling overseas on my own - I had an unexpected stop over and I tried to get money from an ATM - it swallowed my card up then I got a text from them saying suspicious activity on my account and they had cancelled my card. I was not impressed - luckily I had another card with me or I would have been pretty stuck.

Well I hope so, the fact I don't even know the status of my money really does concern me. All I know now is my account is cancelled along with my card and I will be given a new card etc. So I don't know if any money is missing or not. I really hope not.

If you rang the bank back surely they can give you details about the status of your money???I'm with a building society here in the UK.If I ring their customer services 24/7 number,they will ask me security questions and then ask how they can help me!

If you rang the bank back surely they can give you details about the status of your money???I'm with a building society here in the UK.If I ring their customer services 24/7 number,they will ask me security questions and then ask how they can help me!

They couldn't tell me anything. Just that the account and card is now cancelled and a new one is being issued. So I don't know about my money, or what actually happened and will all my account details change. If so that is really going to mess up my wages this week. Im going to call in my local branch tomorrow to find out more.

They couldn't tell me anything. Just that the account and card is now cancelled and a new one is being issued. So I don't know about my money, or what actually happened and will all my account details change. If so that is really going to mess up my wages this week. Im going to call in my local branch tomorrow to find out more.

Sorry Paul was reading your thread at like 6.30am in bed this morning lol!I really hope it all works out for you.So annoying when that sort of thing happens.

I used to work for Commonwealth Bank. Yes the are like all the other banks.But TBH, you need to trust them with this one They have an excellent Fraud department and if they feel you account has been compromised , then more than likely it has. If they did nothing you would soon blame them for letting a fraudster take all your money. The banks can not win. They are there to protect you!!! Its happened on the worst day of the week. Going into the branch shouting the odds, wont get your account back to the state it was before some one tried to access your money. You will be able to withdraw your funds when you do go into the branch upon showing ID., but please don't shout at them as its not their fault.

Just remember they have probably prevented what could possibly be a lot worse than you realise. Also if they have blocked your net banking, it is more than likely to be internet fraud.

Guest Ptp113
I use Westpac, and have had the same sort of thing a couple of times with them. I have a business account with them, and use it for lots of overseas transactions (four to five a week sometimes), and occasionally I get a text message from them to ask me to call the customer service dept or call in to my branch because there has been suspicious activity on my account. Mostly it is just the overseas transactions that flag my account, but on one occasion someone had stolen my card details and had gone on a spending spree in Las Vegas! My account has never disappeared from the internet banking though, because the first thing I do when I get the message is empty the account in to my reserve account to make sure that the money can't be stolen.

I would definitely be a bit more worried if the account had vanished, but it may just be their way of stopping the account over the weekend until it can be sorted on Monday.

Hope it is all okay.

Better to be with Westpac that another of the big four who shall remain nameless.

I used to work for Commonwealth Bank. Yes the are like all the other banks.But TBH, you need to trust them with this one They have an excellent Fraud department and if they feel you account has been compromised , then more than likely it has. If they did nothing you would soon blame them for letting a fraudster take all your money. The banks can not win. They are there to protect you!!! Its happened on the worst day of the week. Going into the branch shouting the odds, wont get your account back to the state it was before some one tried to access your money. You will be able to withdraw your funds when you do go into the branch upon showing ID., but please don't shout at them as its not their fault.

Just remember they have probably prevented what could possibly be a lot worse than you realise. Also if they have blocked your net banking, it is more than likely to be internet fraud.

I don't want to have a go at them at all. All I want is some information and an explanation. Mainly like, is all my money there and how will this affect my wages going in. As well as when can I access my money.

I didn't manage to get into a branch today but I should have time tomorrow.

This happened to my account with the commonwealth bank as well and they were wonderful. even though money had been stolen from my account after i made a transaction on the internet with an overseas company the bank replaced the money that was taken. being with out online access for a few days was much better than if they didnt do anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately no money left my account. Apparently it was a problem in the Cronulla area and it affected quite a few people, so they blocked our accounts as a preventative measure. It was far more reassuring once I went into the branch and they could explain everything to me. I got a new card and the account unblocked and it didn't effect my wages going in.

Glad its all sorted now.

Fortunately no money left my account. Apparently it was a problem in the Cronulla area and it affected quite a few people, so they blocked our accounts as a preventative measure. It was far more reassuring once I went into the branch and they could explain everything to me. I got a new card and the account unblocked and it didn't effect my wages going in.

Glad its all sorted now.

Good news!

Good for you Paul. Identity theft is no joke, I was in a similar situation 2 years ago but fortunately my bank recognized "suspicious charge" on my credit card and blocked the card immediately. Better to be safe and pay for it with inconvenience than loose a lot of money.

Archived