6 Months in WA South (Carpenter)

kimsdu

So time flies when you are having fun!!!!

So it seems that today is our 6 month arrival anniversary.... It has really flown by and we couldnt be happier. We live in Margaret River (Also known as MARK UP RIVER) and absolutely love it here. (Although its chilly at the moment!)

So if anybody remembers my first arrival report then here is the updates.

The biggest news is that my husband has secured himself a better job in Margs (Carpenter) where as before he used to drive to Bunbury, He is now a supervisor for a building company and over sees all the other chippies on site, He loves it and loves the fact that he doesnt have to drive 1hr there and 1 hr back, He is currently building a house around the corner from where we live!

The pay is also so much better he is getting $50 per hour now.

I work full time in a travel agent, Its not ideal for me but its full time Mon-Fri and pretty good wages $22ph so nothing to complain about.

We basically spent all of our savings 2 months after arrival. We bought outright as we didnt want to live on credit however they really want to finance you over here!!!, We bought 2 cars, One for me a 2004 Subura Forester and a work Ute for the OH and a work trailer, We paid 3 months rent and a months bond up front plus a few items of furniture and some essential tools to get the OH into work straight away..., We came over with $31,000 and at one point had only $2000 in savings left in the account (February)... However that being said in 4 months we have managed to save $25,000 again and are saving like crazy for a house. (Hopefully by September). My husbands UK tax return helped alot but also this would never have been posiible in the UK as we never seemed to be able to save more than a few hundred a month.

Cost of living here is interesting... Now im all about convenience and i am not going to drive all over town to find a similar item to save 25 cents... We spend about $150 a week on food and that for us is plenty and we tend to buy organic produce. It all seems less expensive the longer you are here. The big bonus is Lamb here is so cheap where as in UK the price is outrageous!! 2 Lamb chops here cost about $3.80 and they are a good size.

However i did refuse to spend $12 on a bloody oven glove so sent the OH into Big W in Bunbury to pick one up for $3 lol

Rent is $270 per week

Electric $300 for last quarter (Pleasantly surprised)

Water ours is included in rent

Mobiles $30 a month

They really encourage drinking here lol a pint is $11 at the pub or a case of 24 bottles about $49 .... You dont need to be a maths genius to figure it out.

People here are so friendly i have met so many Brits and some of which are now firm friends. My OH surfs and has a solid crew he meets up with now.

We do not live a lavish lifestyle but we never have, we eat out if we feel like it and spend most of our free time exploring surrounding areas and finding new surf spots. The beaches here are some of the best in the world and they are plentiful. The wildlife is amazing, Parrots, Kangas, big lizards to name but a few... hard to get bored of the surroundings...

We talk to family and friends on skype alot and its fine some will be visiting at Xmas to get out of the cold....

This has without a doubt been the best thing we have ever done, Financially and lifestyle wise we are so much better off.. We laugh sometimes and ask if we are dreaming because we still cannot believe it.

I truly hope everybody else that is coming here has a nice smooth transition like we have... Australia is truly amazing so dont give up on the dream..

I would just like to say i dont frequent this site as much since i moved here purely because we are too busy enjoying ourselves and i know that around the time i used to frequent this site others that i spoke to on a regular basis also in the migratiion stages have also since arrived in OZ and are getting on with it all of which are working.

I hope this arrival report puts some positive back onto the forum for those that are n the process of migrating as there does seem to be alot of doom and gloom posts about Oz on here at the moment.

Thanks and i hope you all have a great weekend... Long weekend here as Monday is WA day so no work !!! Yipp:biggrin:eeeee

Very good to hear that everything has worked out for you there. You definitely have the right attitude and it's refreshing to read rather than people moaning about this that and the next thing on the forum.

Hope it all continues to go well for you...

Now.. I had better get back to reading some more complaints!! (Or a balanced view as it is referred to on here)

Great post, nice and positive we have been here getting on for 8 months and have settled just fine too, I wish we was paying your rent! Is it just the two of you?

Yes just the 2 of us ... Soon to be 3..... Getting a dog !!! It was always our intention to get a small place to save for a house , We have a one bedroomed 2 bathroom townhouse on 2 levels so its perfect whilst we save... If we were to rent a 3 /2 here you can expect to pay $350 - $500 per week....

Hi Kimsdu

That was a great post, so interesting and positive. It is wonderful to hear that the move has been so good for you two. We have our visas now and will be coming over to Margaret River area in August to check things out. Hubby is a plumber and also surfs, although dont get to do much of that living in London. We are a family of 4 (2 small kids) looking to come over for good towards the end of next year. I realise you don't use this site much anymore but would love to get in touch I have so many questions and perhaps you could offer some advice. My email is diane.grace76@gmail.com

Its all so exciting!

Diane

• 1 month later...
Hi Kimsdu

That was a great post, so interesting and positive. It is wonderful to hear that the move has been so good for you two. We have our visas now and will be coming over to Margaret River area in August to check things out. Hubby is a plumber and also surfs, although dont get to do much of that living in London. We are a family of 4 (2 small kids) looking to come over for good towards the end of next year. I realise you don't use this site much anymore but would love to get in touch I have so many questions and perhaps you could offer some advice. My email is diane.grace76@gmail.com

Its all so exciting!

Diane

Hi Diane, Sorry i have just seen this but i will send yo a pm with my email and maybe add me on facebook if you like... Then you can see all our Margys pics...

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Great update, sounds just like the Perth I saw when I was there, hope it keeps getting better and better.

Great update, sounds just like the Perth I saw when I was there, hope it keeps getting better and better.

Your back WTF!!!! Hahah welcome back Hoff i gotta say you have been missed... I dont come on here much anymore so this has been a nice surprise ..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Your back WTF!!!! Hahah welcome back Hoff i gotta say you have been missed... I dont come on here much anymore so this has been a nice surprise ..

Cheers for that, I have been overwhelmed by all the nice messages from the good folks here on PIO.

Archived