How long in short term rental?

Jude

Advice please!!

I've just had my 189 granted and planning on arriving in Melbourne in September. I'll need short term rental to begin with until I find a long term rental property - hopefully in the StKilda/Elwood/Brighton areas.

Any advice on where to look and how long do you think I'll need short term rental?

I've a dog and 2 cats who will probably complicate things but they'll be in quarantine for 30 days......

Jude

Advice please!!

I've just had my 189 granted and planning on arriving in Melbourne in September. I'll need short term rental to begin with until I find a long term rental property - hopefully in the StKilda/Elwood/Brighton areas.

Any advice on where to look and how long do you think I'll need short term rental?

I've a dog and 2 cats who will probably complicate things but they'll be in quarantine for 30 days......

Where to look? That depends on where you want to live! StKilda/Elwood/Brighton sound good based on your preference for StKilda/Elwood/Brighton ;-) But seriously, there are a load of inner city suburbs with loads of cafes, restaurants, shops, parks, easy access to public transport etc and it would be worth you checking them out during your search.

For your convenience, I'd suggest getting staying somewhere central (close to city and transport) when you arrive as this will make it easier to do your long-term accom search.

How long for short-term? Some people find accommodation very quickly... maybe you'll be lucky and find something in the first few days of your search. Others take longer and prefer to get to know the city a bit better before making a commitment.

Having pets (esp three) will certainly complicate things. Setting aside long term rentals, you'll find very few (if any) short term/furnished places which allow pets. This means you'll most likely need to resolve your long term accommodation within 30 days of arriving.

Advice please!!

Jude

Hi Jude, most people who stay with us book for 4 - 6 weeks.

BB

We're moving to Sydney in October and are taking our two cats with us. We're going to book temp accommodation for 4 weeks and hope that we can find somewhere to rent in that time. I have no idea if it will be enough time but we went with 4 weeks because shortly after that, the cats will coming out of quarantine and they aren't allowed in the temporary accommodation.

Finding somewhere to live that will allow cats is probably the biggest source of stress with the whole move.

Finding somewhere to live that will allow cats is probably the biggest source of stress with the whole move.

I approved a tenant in one of my long-term properties recently with a cat - we agreed she would pay an extra $500 Bond to cover any cat-related damage.

BB

That's good to know. Thanks! Did your tenant need to give any document/reference to show the pet was no trouble? I half thought of asking our vet but the cat has had a few traumatic procedures at the vet and has now taken a dislike to her!

We planned to find somewhere within 4 weeks ready for when our pets came out of quarantine. It didn't work and we sadly had to put them into cattery/kennels for 2 weeks before we found a rental. Having pets obviously narrowed down the rentals we could apply for. I felt awful about sending them straight to cattery/kennels from quarantine but they soon got over it and settled in their new home surprisingly quickly.

Thanks for all your replies - I think finding a long term rental which allows my pets is definitely going to be the most stressful thing. I'm just hoping the fact that I'll be in a fairly good financial position will help! I could offer a bigger bond and a few months up front as an incentive and not dead set on any area so surely I'll find somewhere......I hope

This is one of the things I worry about too, I'm in a similar situation as you in that I have a dog and 2 cats although I've still got a long way before I'll be in Oz.

Good luck with your search!

I totally feel your stress and anxiety and would agree out of everything is what is worrying me most his royal furryness flies out to Melbourne a week after me and he is having to leave home to UK cattery a week before us so will be locked up for 7 weeks then if haven't found anywhere will have to transfer to oz cattery. I have been looking on Gumtree as well there are a few pet friendly rentals on there. Are you aware that there are quite strict cat restrictions in some part of city as well although I think in areas you are looking is just dusk til dawn curfew.

I totally feel your stress and anxiety and would agree out of everything is what is worrying me most his royal furryness flies out to Melbourne a week after me and he is having to leave home to UK cattery a week before us so will be locked up for 7 weeks then if haven't found anywhere will have to transfer to oz cattery. I have been looking on Gumtree as well there are a few pet friendly rentals on there. Are you aware that there are quite strict cat restrictions in some part of city as well although I think in areas you are looking is just dusk til dawn curfew.

In our short term rental we have had in the past people with a cat or a dog. So its not impossible to find places that will take them.

And yes you are right about the restrictions - some areas of Melbourne do not allow you to own a cat at all and some allow indoor cats only. This applies whether you are buying or renting.

BB

Hi there, we put our two dogs in the kennel with our pet shippers. They followed us over a few weeks later so we could secure a rental in the meantime. We needn't have bothered holding them in the UK though because we found a rental within 2weeks of landing and moved in days after the dogs landed, but of course we didn't know that at the time. But at least we were all settled into our new home so we could visit them in quarantine at every allocated time. One piece of advice we received from members on here was to apply for any rental that didn't specifically say no pets. Our landlord didn't state that pets were allowed but was more than happy to accept then in his brand new, very expensive home... Gulp :-) so don't get too stressed, like we did!! There are rentals out there. Good luck with the move :wink:

The short term rental that we are staying in allows pets. We have been here now for 7 weeks, 5 of them with our cat. We were turned down for one long term rental because we have a cat but he next one we applied for we were successful with. Luckily the landlord is a cat lover/ owner too! Just waiting for our furniture to arrive then we will all move to our new house, hopefully without too much stress!

We're moving to Sydney in October and are taking our two cats with us. We're going to book temp accommodation for 4 weeks and hope that we can find somewhere to rent in that time. I have no idea if it will be enough time but we went with 4 weeks because shortly after that, the cats will coming out of quarantine and they aren't allowed in the temporary accommodation.

Hi Mosa,

My family and I are also moving to Sydney in October. We have our flights booked but still unsure on where to book a short term rental.

I need to be near the airport (1hr ish commute) as I work in airfreight.

Where did you find your rental advertised? We've been looking but haven't found anything yet!!

Where did you find your rental advertised? We've been looking but haven't found anything yet!!

We heard about it through my husband's employer. They are furnished flats that they let out to visiting academics at the university. I'm not sure if they are university owned or just happen to be near by.

Archived