Padbury V Waikiki Perth CRIME ?

Hi

We head out to Perth in few months and were aiming for Waikiki as we have lived there in the past, i have been on the Perth crime page on facebook and it seems there is alot more crime Rockingham etc area at the mo.

As we have two young kids we want to make the right choice with the suburbs, we were also considring Padbury, can anyone tell me what the crime is like in this and surrounding suburbs??

I know there is crime everywhere but want to take it into consideration when choosing suburb.

Thank you in advance

We just stayed around there for about a month. I can't say crime was something we saw at all (I know it was only a month, but still). We regularly walked around at night, and felt very very safe indeed. This was warnbro way mainly, but Rockingham itself a bit as well. Would move there in a heart beat.

The first thing to do is see where you are going to be working - there is no point living in the south if you are working in the north.

I would strongly advise you get a short term rental for the first month and send time looking around the suburbs at properties - each suburb varies.

Rockingham has a big Brit population - that may suit some and not others. It does have more than its fair share of crime, but there are plenty of people that like it.

Hi thank you

My husband will be working in Subiaco, we have lived south before but wondered if we should try Padbury/kallaroo over waikiki. WE have 2 children that will be starting school not long after we arrive so we will have to decide before arriving or very quickly.

It was mainly to find out if crime was far less in Kallaroo/Padbury or just similar to rockingham/waikiki.

Thanks

If he is working in Subiaco then Padbury will be a far easier and shorter commute. Some areas around Rockingham have high crime and poor schools. I will probably upset people with that comment but the Australians I work with tell me that these areas are bad. I used to live in Duncraig which is next to Padbury so i would say its a very safe area

Gut feel is Padbury is a better area, however it is cheaper than nearby suburbs because it is a little bit further inland and originally had a lot of social housing (Homes West) however only 0.4% of residents are in social housing now (reduced 10% since 2006) but the status lingers long after reality has changed.

I'd have a close look at schools in both areas as that's probably an important factor.

Neither are going to be an easy commute to Subiaco by public transport, by car I would personally think its an easier drive from Waikiki, from Padbury you have to go past Perth and that's where the worst traffic will be.

If you don't mind being inland I'd look at places on the Midland line, like Bayswater, or possibly the northern suburbs of Cockburn, I am minutes away from Fremantle station which is on the Subiaco line and a pretty easy drive from mine along the Stirling highway.

I live in Hillarys which is just over the road from Padbury.

I drive through Padbury every day taking a short-cut to avoid some traffic lights and the area looks reasonable. Some of the houses look a little tired but there are others which could be $1M+. Many areas here are like that as prices rise and people move out leaving their home to be demolished and replaced with a mansion. I think Sorrento and Hillarys have become too expensive for many and that's pushing up prices in the surrounding suburbs.

Padbury has an excellent primary school according to a colleague.

Archived