Room shares in Sydney

ghostgirl

The thought of sharing a room with someone makes my skin crawl. I understand that Sydney is incredibly expensive but surely there must be somewhere to rent where I'd have my own room?!

Has anyone had experience with sharing a room? Is it doable for a few weeks? I know this is entirely down to the person you'd be sharing with, but I doubt I could share a room with my best friend in all the world for more than a few weeks. I'm not weird I am just used to living completely alone!

Almost every houseshare advertisement I've looked at says the room is available for 2-3 people! Nightmare situation. Mind you I am looking at cheaper places but sharing a room is too creepy! A hostel room is different, I wouldn't mind that but not a bedroom in a house for a year!! :(

Room shares are very common in popular areas close to the city. Rents are so extortionate that if you want to live near Sydney Uni, UNSW or Bondi Beach and you don't have $250 a week to spend - then you can only afford a room share. Lots of students have to do it and plenty of people on WHVs do it, too.

I'd suggest checking areas further out. The cheaper the overall rent, the more likely you are to get an affordable room to yourself.

Its popular in London as well, lot of aussies and kiwis i used to know lived like that. I would not want to do it but some of the crazy room rents that get charged down there I cant blame them. The only one I went into had like a bookcase subdivision down the middle. Probably best to share with an American, as if you believe the movies they appear to do that at University so would be used to respecting the other persons space.

I feel a bit spoilt saying it sounds like a nightmare to me but I just can't imagine it being comfortable. I lived alone for three years and it was heaven. I'm a bit of a loner really. I won't mind living in a suburb, I love walking & I hear public transport is excellent over there?

I feel a bit spoilt saying it sounds like a nightmare to me but I just can't imagine it being comfortable. I lived alone for three years and it was heaven. I'm a bit of a loner really. I won't mind living in a suburb, I love walking & I hear public transport is excellent over there?

It doesn't sound at all spoilt. I am practically gob smacked that this happens, never encountered it in my adult life before!

It doesn't sound at all spoilt. I am practically gob smacked that this happens, never encountered it in my adult life before!

Yeah I can't believe it either, I'd heard of illegal immigrants sharing rooms in houses in Belfast & my mum told me about it like it was the saddest story on earth.

P.S some of the rooms I looked at online only had double beds and would specify that only females were to share, either I'm missing something and it was just for lesbians or they really expect strangers to SHARE A BED.

It is probably students and / or Asians whoi r more likely to share - I went into unit for sale in my block and counted five beds - 2 in each bedroom and 1 in lounge but $600 or so a week is much better divided by 5.

Bloke next door to me is always sub letting a room, sometimes to couples, sometimes singles

I stayed in a private hotel in Neutral Bay in 1979 but many of then have closed or been redeveloped. There may still be some around.

I see rooms advertised all around Surry Hills and Redfern. Some pubs do them. I stayed in Orange Grove hotel a couple of years back in Lilyfield. It was fine.

Look on http://www.domain.com.au or Gumtree or maybe in some of the hostel noticeboard.

Archived