State sponsorship - which states, anyone know?

Generalis

Hi, we were going through fine with visa and slight problem, thought it was too good to be true. Agent has all along said dont need to do IELTS test but came back last week and said you may not have enough points after all and may need to do IELTS (this is due to my husband being a recently qualified accountant) and his 3 years pre qualification may not count so to do the test. I cant get hold of agent, on hols for 2 weeks to find out what areas we could go to on state sponsorship. Does anyone know? He did say we wouldnt be able to go to Brisbane with points but would Perth be an option? Also no other agents at work that we can ask as all left and receptionist reluctant to refer me to anyone else for this question as our agent knows all the background. Thanks am stressing now as nearest IELTS testing place is booked up until June, either that or go further afield.

Sam

Guest paul1966

Hi i got state sponsorship from Queensland, Filled in forms got it after 10 days and iv'e justed sent off my forms for 176 visa you have to have 100 points and be on there list of jobs wanted. Hope this will help just look up Queensland gov web site you can down load forms.

Hi Paul thanks for that. Our agent said we wont be able to go to Queensland but I'll have to look into that on queensland website. I was reading on one site that if you go down state sponsorship route you have to get an assurance of support from someone already there and we have no family there. Did you have to do that? Do they also tell you where in Queensland you have to live?

Sam

Guest PIPPADEE
Hi Paul thanks for that. Our agent said we wont be able to go to Queensland but I'll have to look into that on queensland website. I was reading on one site that if you go down state sponsorship route you have to get an assurance of support from someone already there and we have no family there. Did you have to do that? Do they also tell you where in Queensland you have to live?

Sam

I have heard that WA are doing a one day on the spot sponsorship. You have to go to London on the 13thMarch ( not sure where ) but this may be an option for you . If i get anymore info i will post it to you

Pippadee

Guest Gollywobbler
I have heard that WA are doing a one day on the spot sponsorship. You have to go to London on the 13thMarch ( not sure where ) but this may be an option for you . If i get anymore info i will post it to you

Pippadee

Hi All

I have been investigating this WA sponsorship thing - the thread to which Pippadee refers. Specifically, I asked Welshtone, who is well-known to our Members, what he knows about this idea. This is the text of his response to me this morning:

Hi gill

The shows are on around this time and reps from the SBDC in Perth will be at them. They often give on-the-spot approvals for Business sponsorship and STNI. From memory of a show in Dublin 2 years ago, they would just sign a proforma sheet of paper. It was like a PR exercise for the clients as the client would think what a great agent, got me approval on the spot. You then still had to go through the usual procedure as it was an approval in principle. You attach the in principle approval to your application later - so it gives a bit of security in knowing that WA are unlikely to refuse sponsorship if you provide the in principle approval.

WA are processing State sponsorships withi na couple of days of lodgement on-line although it does take a week or more to receive the approval as it is sent by snail mail.

Regards

Tony

Welshtone is a Registered Migration Agent and he worked for DIAC in Perth for 10 years before becoming an RMA several years ago, I believe. He knows exactly how these sponsorships - and the relevant State Government officials - work.

There is indeed an Expo in London that same week. The details are here:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

My guess is that if they decide to have a special "one day" event, there will be advance publicity about it via either the WA Govt Migration website or via the Expo website or both. I would guess that an Information Pack would be downloadable and it may include an application form for this one-day show.

But DIAC and the State Governments all work according to a strictly non-discriminatory policy. There is no way they will try to restrict access to the information about the proposals once the proposals are definitely settled and the methods decided. I think they are far more likely to make the information available to all and sundry with instructions to study it at home and to submit an application for the event if one thinks it might be a goer for oneself.

Also, please note that Tony has seen them giving approvals "in principle" only. They do not do the Full Monty on the spot, evidently. It might certainly help but I strongly suspect that non-participation in the possible forthcoming event would not be allowed to disadvantage anyone and according to Tony WA gives formal approvals very fast anyway.

In the light of Tony's comments, I certainly wouldn't spend ££££ on a trip to London unless I happened to be going there anyway or fancied a City-break type holiday whilst there.

The WA Government has some sort of permanent representation in the UK. (Perhaps they all do - I don't know.) However, I told Google to find 'Government of Western Australia + Migration.' Predictably, the relevant website was down last night when I tried! However, the second or third link on the page was for a lady in the UK. Her office would be able to provide more information about this, for sure.

It has been suggested to me that this office does not want UncleTom Cobley & All making contact with potentially futile enquiries. That probably happens all the time anyway and the contact information would not be available via Google if they do not welcome direct enquiries from members of the public, whether or not they might be futile, it seems to me.

Best wishes

Gill

Sam

Sam,

- There is no Assurance of Support required for the new skilled visa classes.

- I concur with the comments from Tony about WA giving "in principle" visa sponsorship approvals at the expos, etc in the UK. Unless the WA Government is adopting a different stance this year a full application for State Sponsorship will still need to be submitted.

- The good news is that the WA Government is generally the quickest in terms of turning around applications for State Sponsorship.

Best regards.

Guest the terry's

Hi Sam,

Look at all the gov. sites for each state and see if your job is on their sponsorship lists first of all. We wanted to go to Adelaide but didn't have all the points needed so opted for state sponsorship, only to find that Adelaide don't or didn't at the time, do state sponsorship for gen. plumbers. We were given the option of Perth, Canberra or Melbourne, so chose Melbourne.

Hope this helps,

Helen.

Archived