Living in Albury

charlene

Been living on the Gold Coast now for over 3 1/2 years. Started out on a student visa studying hairdressing, carried on with my course even when they took it off the list - big decision whether to give up and go back to UK or whether to stick to our guns. Well we stuck to our guns. I am on my Graduate Visa with now only one year left to find a sponsor and not much money left in the pot!! Have found a company in Albury NSW who is willing to do a regional sponsorship with me. Just need to know what Albury is like and especially schools for my 4 year old and 10 year old. My hubby does Tow Truck Driving on the coast (he has a HR licence) - is there much work around for truck drivers in or around Albury? Have googled the area and job sites but any first hand help, advice, pointers would be great.

:smile:

Can't help with job situation unfortunately. Have visited Albury a few times. Country town about half way between Melbourne and Sydney with lots of great countryside around it. Very different from Gold Coast and not close to any beaches.

Not lived there but when I move in 18 months it's one of the places I'm looking at moving to. It's three hours from Melbourne so I'm assuming it's 5 or 6 from Sydney, but quite close to Canberra.

I know some guys who live and work down there (they were on a course in Sydney when I was down there on another course and as "out-of-towners" we knocked about for the four weeks). They absolutely love the place, big enough to have everything you want but not sprawling like a lot of Australian cities. They also said that it has the greatest variety round about - you can go to Melbourne for the weekend or skiing or to the beach. I've also heard that, along with Wagga Wagga, it's the best Australian city for sport (participation) if you're into that.

I like the bigger regional towns so I'm a bit biased but I'd definitely say go and have a look and see if it's for you.

Thanks for the info Rugby Lad. I know it will be completely different from the Gold Coast, especially weather wise - it's been nice having the beach on our doorstep whenever we want it but I need that sponsorship and I guess I've got to go where it takes me. Really need info on primary schools and work opportunities for hubby. Anyone????

I live in wagga which is 1 hr drive to Albury....I been there three times...Check this website..and you will find the place to rent...better stay at central...rather then outside...http://www.domain.com.au/Search/rent/State/NSW/Area/Murray-Region/Region/Regional-NSW/Suburb/Albury/?searchterm=Albruy

good luck..and if you need more information i will try to provide you....

That's great Wang77 - thank you - I will have a look on the site. I just spoke with the boss of the company that wants to sponsor me. He has offered to pay for my flight to see him in 2 weeks time and will drive me from Melbourne to Albury so it will be good to see what it's like.

Any more info at all will be much appreciated...

:smile:

Albury/Wodonga is a city on the NSW/Victoria border... google... there is so much info. Have heard that it is a great place to live.... lots of young families with great sports facilities and schools. Never been though but friends have a daughter (with 3 children) who lives there and totally loves the whole life style. Go for the interview... if it will give you a visa, that is good and if it isn't for you, once you have PR, you can move on. Life is an adventure and it seems to me that you and your family have lived that adventure well so far.... another chapter could be coming your way!

I'm not generally a fan of Australian country towns, but I like Albury. I've stayed there quite a few times.

It's a reasonable size, certainly has everything you need, and the countryside around is lovely. The main shopping street is good - plenty of busy shops, cafes, restaurants and no sign of boarded-up shop fronts (that you get in a lot of towns). It appears to the casual visitor to be a prosperous place.

It's near the snow for skiing, not far from Canberra for a change of scene, the gorgeous wine-growing areas of northern Victoria are half an hour away plus it's only a few hours drive to Melbourne.

There are far worse places to spend a year or two.

Thanks for the replies - Albury not sounding too bad - lots of positive comments about the place. Yes Rossmoyne we have definitely been on an adventure and a very expensive one at that but I guess you're right - a new chapter could be starting. If all is good with my agent I will go for interview definitely. I will have to spend maybe 3 to 4 weeks away from kids undergoing training (which will be hard) (being away from the husband not so bad!!!) but we just need that PR otherwise it will be back to UK and for the sake of my kids I know they have a far better future here in Aus.

Need some help on schools. My 10 year old had lots of issues with the first school he went to on the Gold Coast. He was being bullied and the school didn't want to deal with the bullies - they just kept suspending my son for retaliating against the bullies and kept trying to tell me that he is Autistic. After three years there I finally took him out and he's now at a new school and he is flying high. He's so happy there, I feel bad about having to move him again. We have spoken about it and he says it's okay - he understands that we have to do what we have to do to stay in Australia as he tells me he doesn't want to go back to UK. His happiness means everything to me and I've been so proud of how he has coped with everything and how well he is doing now. This is why info on schools is very important to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so an update on this Albury move. The owner of the company e-mailed me last week to say that he has now withdrawn the position due to personal reasons. So looks like my move to Albury is no more.

I am now going for a job trial on Tuesday in Mt Gravatt and if they like me this salon chain are willing to do a regional sponsorship with me for their salon in Bundaberg. So it looks like if all goes well we will be staying in Queensland and heading to Bundy.

Any help on Bundy would be great. Think I'll have to post in the QLD forum but feel free to advise if you know anything about Bundaberg, which areas are better than others. I have been told it's a lovely place to be...

Sorry to here about the job in Albury - what will be will be, hey?

Anyway, Albury oes sound a great place to live and I hope I get an interview for the job I have applied for as the area just sounds like a perfect place for the family.

Good luck with your Job trial.

PS - keep the indoor on Albury coming in especially on the high schools ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Misplaced, good luck with getting your job interview. I went for my trial today, did three clients. I got offered the job so it looks like we are def heading to Bundaberg. Just need to work out how we're gonna do it, costs etc...

Life takes funny turns sometimes!!

• 7 months later...
I'm not sure how to post a new thread? I cant see it anywhere on site :( I did notice the dates, but I thought it was worth an ask... Thank you for the reply though!

U have to select a topic first such as weather or chewing the fat, then u will get a green button top left for post new thread

Archived