457 Visa - employer responsibilities

ginger

Hi guys if I was to return to the UK (am currently employed on a 457 visa) what does the employer need to provide?

I believe they have to provide flights etc.....but what about shipping?

Any advise would be appreciated.

ginger

I am in a position where if I leave in October it will be 'me' leaving but I may be asked to leave earlier which I think would mean I was being made redundant.

I thought it was too good to be true if the employer had to foot the bill if it were my own choice.

Just feel like I'm in a lift at the minute with thoughts and emotions.......

Thanks for the advice on the shipping, I did think that would be the case.

ginger

Your Employer is responsible for you & your family's return flight to London. They are not responsible for shipping! We had to claim the flights back after we purchased the tickets. If you have not completed at least 2 years service you may be liable for the cost to ship your furniture out to Australia ?

​Goid Luck

Thanks, I've worked for them for 2 years but part of that time was on a different visa and not the 457.

I just can't be ar$ed with any arguments and really want to know where I stand in 2 different circumstances. (1) I leave of my own accord (2) he relieves me of my duties.

I have come to a point where I just don't think we can afford to live here and there is no scope for a payrise....I have been given 2 choices, stay or go...simple. I have a trip to the UK booked for October but it may turn into a permanent trip. Such a shame it has come down to money but hey if you can't afford a life here then so be it.....damn those 3 kids haha

ginger

Your Employer is responsible for you & your family's return flight to London. They are not responsible for shipping! We had to claim the flights back after we purchased the tickets. If you have not completed at least 2 years service you may be liable for the cost to ship your furniture out to Australia ?

​Goid Luck

That is purely contractual. There is nothing in the immigration act that mentions shipping costs. Some companies wont bother regardless, some ask for 12 months, some 2 years. Varies.

If you think there is a good chance of being made redundant, then i would wait for that, but it depends on circumstances.

Hi We couldn't afford to live there either! Plus didn't like the place! You do what your heart tells you! I'd rather be skint in my own Country than skint in a Country that I didn't like ! If that makes sense .

​Were very happy to be back home in the UK after 2 years in Australia.

There was a thread recently regarding flights and it seemed that that was what the employer was responsbile for, however, the employer went for the cheapest flights and quite a round trip - the employee didn't really get to pick and choose.

Always sad to hear something coming to an end in these circumstances - Good luck on your return to the UK

If you put your request in writing to your employer for them to book your flights back to the UK they have to oblige regardless if you are made redundant or leave on your own accord. I have actually been looking I to this myself and have spoken with immigration. Your employer is also not allowed to try to recover from you any of the costs related employing you and sponsoring you.

We have to pay for our shipping as it was our choice to ship our stuff over here. We are trying to sell up and take as little as possible back. No surprises that it is way more to ship back than it was to bring! Australia for you hey ha.

Archived