Waiting 8-10 days before registering with Medicare????

Dean74

I recently read some where that it was better to wait 8 - 10 days before registering with Medicare to give them chance for your arrival to filter down to them or something of that nature, my question is this............. When I came to validate my visa in Feb on a 2 week holiday would that count as 8 - 10 day wait, I am making the permanent move next week not sure if I wait or go straight in to register? :confused:

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes it would, its just to give Medicare chance to check your visa which they will have done. Some Medicare offices don't even care about the waiting period

Guest The Pom Queen
I have never heard that before. I registered within a couple of days. Not that there was any need to rush to register, I didn't use medicare for more than two years afterwards.

It use to state it on the forms and website not sure if it still does, certain Medicare branches in Melbourne never bothered, some would do everything by the letter.

Now if I remember rightly ( it was 3 years ago now!) we went in a few days and the lady looked us up and said we weren't yet on the computer the immigration dept takes a while to get it onto the system from when you land. So I'm guessing its from when you last entered but au may be completely wrong.

Archived