Will accountancy work experience count?

Tracy Vickers

Hi I have been working in accounts since getting my degree in accountancy 15 years ago but just finished cima do you think I will be able to claim any work experence?????

thanks for any advice just about to submit information to cpa

Probably yes.

When you apply to have your skills assessed you can also have your work experience assessed at the same time. The assessing body will only count work experience AFTER you met the criteria for your skills as an accountant. If your degree does not fully meet the criteria they will look at your CIMA qualification and see at which dated during your studies you met the criteria. They will then count work experience from that date and provide an opinion On the number of years you can claim.

I would thoroughly recommend in your case you pay an assessment of your work experience as this can often cause problems with DIAC if you over claim for work experience.

Thank you I am going to get my work experience check I see it took 1 month for cpa to come back to you was that when you got your letter

Yes it took a month door to door: and they misunderstood my husbands exemptions which held it up a week. We sent everything to Teresa in the London office who check everything before sending it into Melbourne for you.

I am also CIMA and from what you say above you will have no trouble. It is not post qualified experience but your experience overall. It may be worth you looking into the MRA that CIMA and CPA have. The cost is not really a great deal more but the skills assessment is awarded along with your membership here. You only need a letter of good standing as an Associate/Fellow from CIMA, complete the paperwork and pay the fee. It is also handy to have the CPA letters when you first get here to ensure that employers recognise the qualification you have although I have noticed CIMA is getting more of a mention if job adverts lately. You can always drop the CPA qualification once you have been here a little while if you find it is not adding any more value than your ACMA

Good luck

Si

<snip>

I would thoroughly recommend in your case you pay an assessment of your work experience as this can often cause problems with DIAC if you over claim for work experience.

Some context: remember that the skilled work experience advice that comes from an assessing body is not binding on the DIAC case officer - the quality of the documentation you submit to DIAC upon receiving a visa invitation will be key to the case officer's acceptance of the points you have claimed in the Expression of Interest.

The skilled work experience validation from the assessing body is certainly helpful and can provide comfort when the EoI is lodged, but is not definitive.

Best regards.

• 1 month later...
I am also CIMA and from what you say above you will have no trouble. It is not post qualified experience but your experience overall. It may be worth you looking into the MRA that CIMA and CPA have. The cost is not really a great deal more but the skills assessment is awarded along with your membership here. You only need a letter of good standing as an Associate/Fellow from CIMA, complete the paperwork and pay the fee. It is also handy to have the CPA letters when you first get here to ensure that employers recognise the qualification you have although I have noticed CIMA is getting more of a mention if job adverts lately. You can always drop the CPA qualification once you have been here a little while if you find it is not adding any more value than your ACMA

Good luck

Si

I've gone the CPA route via the MRA with CIMA. Felt it will be part of "fitting in" should we be success in getting a visa.

Archived