Irish passport but been asked to provide IELTS...?

Tafflass

Hi,

We've just been assigned a CO (which is great) but they've asked for a IELTS for my husband even though he holds an Irish passport. I'm the main applicant but claimed 5 points for partner skills, according to immi all he needs is Competent English which is covered if you have a passport from certain countries of which Ireland is one.

I've emailed our CO but in the meantime just wondering if anyone has been in this or similar situation?

Cheers

Nerys

I can only think it is because your case officer has calculated your points differently to you and believes the best way for you to get the points you need is for your husband to do his IELTS.

You're correct that under normal circumstances you don't need to sit IELTS if you are from the right country and do not need the points - has your CO suggested any reason for requiring IELTS?

On the subject of points, DIAC don't explain very well, and it trips a lot of people up, but they only consider work experience post qualification, so if you got your relevant qualification within the last 10 years but are claiming for experience before that, that could be the reason, but you really need your CO to respond to your query.

​Good Luck!

Does your partner need IELTS for skills assessment? Well if he did I guess he would not have got his positive skills assessment .... I think the CO has made a mistake to be honest, I would just question why it is required. It cannot be anything to do with points balance, him getting IELTS will not help your points.

I think you can only claim the partner skills 5 points if they have had their skills assessed by an assessing authority in a skill on the SOL and done an IELTS...

Partner Skills

You can receive five points if your partner meets requirements at the time you are invited to apply relating to:

• a suitable skills assessment in a nominated occupation on the same Skilled Occupation List used for your application.

You cannot receive these points if your partner is not included on your visa application, or if they are an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident.

[TABLE=width: 2]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #E0E0E0]Points[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #E0E0E0]Evidence required[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]You must provide evidence that your partner meets the requirements. This evidence must be:

• documents that prove your partner is 50 years of age or younger
  • documents that prove your partner has at least competent English
  • a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated occupation (your partner’s nominated occupation must be on the same Skilled Occupation List as your nominated occupation).

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

​Chris

The question is. Does your partner have a skill thats on the SOL and have they had a positive skill assessment by the appropriate authority. If yes.. then your CO has probably made a mistake and you just need to explain he is a resident of Ireland.

If the answer is no. Then there are more issues to follow rather than just the ielts.

Any more info ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

We've just been assigned a CO (which is great) but they've asked for a IELTS for my husband even though he holds an Irish passport. I'm the main applicant but claimed 5 points for partner skills, according to immi all he needs is Competent English which is covered if you have a passport from certain countries of which Ireland is one.

I've emailed our CO but in the meantime just wondering if anyone has been in this or similar situation?

Cheers

Nerys

Contrary to popular opinion and the information in some DIAC publications, holding a particular passport does not necessarily satisfy the criteria. Was English the first spoken language of the applicant and was English the medium of instruction for schooling completed? If yes you are probably OK.

Hi,

I should probably give some more info: My husband was born in Zimbabwe but has an Irish passport as his mother is Irish. His first (and only) language is English and he completed all his education in English....he moved to Britain when he was 14 and so completed his GCSEs, A-Levels and degree in English.

He has a skills assessment from Engineers Australia for which he didn't need a IELTS.

I'm hoping the CO just made a mistake and his Irish passport will be enough, thanks for your suggestions all.

The question is. Does your partner have a skill thats on the SOL and have they had a positive skill assessment by the appropriate authority. If yes.. then your CO has probably made a mistake and you just need to explain he is a resident of Ireland.

If the answer is no. Then there are more issues to follow rather than just the ielts.

Any more info ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry I forgot to say : Yes his occupation Engineering Technologist is on the SOL

I think you can only claim the partner skills 5 points if they have had their skills assessed by an assessing authority in a skill on the SOL and done an IELTS...

Partner Skills

You can receive five points if your partner meets requirements at the time you are invited to apply relating to:

• English language ability

• a suitable skills assessment in a nominated occupation on the same Skilled Occupation List used for your application.

You cannot receive these points if your partner is not included on your visa application, or if they are an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident.

[TABLE=width: 2]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #E0E0E0]Points[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #E0E0E0]Evidence required[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]You must provide evidence that your partner meets the requirements. This evidence must be:

• documents that prove your partner is 50 years of age or younger

• documents that prove your partner has at least competent English

• a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated occupation (your partner’s nominated occupation must be on the same Skilled Occupation List as your nominated occupation).

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

​Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm hoping he will be ok as he only has to prove he has competent English:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Competent[/TD]

[TD]0

[/TD]

[TD] You must provide one of the following:

• evidence that you hold a passport from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America

• an IELTS result showing you have a band score of at least 6 on each of the four components of speaking, reading, listening and writing

• evidence that you have taken an OET language test and attained a score of at least B in each of the four components of an OET as specified by the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So I received an email from immigration today stating:

Thank you for your email. Please be advised that as your spouse is an Irish passport holder he meets the requirement of competent English and an IELTS test is not required.

Good to know it was just a mistake :)

Archived