20 year old thinking about moving back to the UK - student issues.

ktee

Hi all,

My family moved out from London to Melbourne seven years ago, when I was thirteen. I never wanted to immigrate, and as much as I've gotten used to Melbourne I can't help but feel that I'm still an outsider here. I'm now considering going back by myself, for many reasons.

I'm a student, and it's been my ambition for years to go to Cambridge University to study history. I achieved the marks I needed in order to get in. But, I discovered that although I'm a British citizen, I'd have to pay international fees in order to go to any university in the UK. Apparently, in order to get normal fee arrangements, I'd have to have lived in the UK as a resident for three years before the start of my course.

I'm considering finishing my undergraduate Arts degree at Melbourne Uni, then returning to the UK and doing casual work for three years before trying to get into Cambridge (or, if unsuccessful there, another university) for postgraduate study.

My questions are:

1. As a British citizen who hasn't lived there for a long time, would I have the right to work in the UK?

2. How easy is it for young people to get casual jobs at the moment in the UK? (I've worked casually for several years in call centres, conducting social research. Would there be similar opportunities?)

3. Or, is there any chance of getting a slightly better job with my Arts degree?

4. Is there any chance I'd be eligible for any welfare payments?

5. Would I be totally crazy to move back to Britain by myself, as a young person with little to no financial support from my family? Could I rent a flat? Could I survive?

Any answers to any of the questions would be much appreciated! :)

Hi there,

I have just returned to Oz from London. I can't answer most of your questions but I can answer some.

1. Yes you can work. I have British citizenship by descent and I had the right to start working in the UK right away.

2. The people I knew had no problems getting casual jobs in London - yes the job market is rubbish, I got made redundant 3 times in 2 years, but if you're not super fussy, it is easy enough, I found, and my friends found, to get low paying jobs. Career jobs might be another matter (although I didn't find it that hard personally, it was just keeping them).

4. No. I moved to the UK all alone at 21 with no support from family, and very little money, and I survived and had a fab time! If I can do it as a naive young girl, anyone can.

Good luck :)

Edited by LittleMissWildChild

Hi ktee,

I can't add to the answers above but I just want to wish you luck. The world is out there, explore, enjoy, it may be tough sometimes but you will survive. Treat it as an extended working holiday and take whatever work you can find - London will have most opportunities if you can bear to live there. Edinburgh might be worth considering - I am biased but I moved there from London and found it a much nicer place to live, more affordable than London and (for me) as many job opportunities.

Do you have your families support to go?

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.FWIW,my daughter left uni last year and has scored a great job,earning more than we do!lol She is about to move into a flat by herself(She lives in Wokingham just outside Reading)and is living the high life!lol You could look for shared accomo if you're worried about either living alone of being able to afford to.I personally don't think you'd have much problem picking up work.Stay flexible and she'll be right lol!Good luck and Best Wishes xx

Good on you!

As a UK citizen you can just walk right in and start applying. You might well get a career oriented job but if you aren't fussy to start with you will pick up something pretty quickly.

When my son lived in London he found a really nice flat share without too much trouble and he was advantaged as a graduate rather than a student. If you do really well in your first degree then check out scholarships for Cambridge - you never know your luck!

The world truly is your oyster and I applaud your Cambridge aspirations. It's a great place to be!