Relinquishing a 457 Visa in Favour of an Aged Parent Visa (804)

MeCe

A BVA comes into effect as soon as it is granted or when your current substantive visa ceases.

A BVA will cease immediately if any of the following situations occur:

• you leave Australia

• you are granted the substantive visa

• you are granted another Bridging visa (such as a BVB) in relation to the same substantive visa application that your BVA is associated with

• the department cancels either your BVA or the substantive visa that you held when you were granted the BVA

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/bridging/010/holders.htm

Thanks for that link.

Worth reading.

I have been told to consult a migration expert. Don't immigration themselves make themselves available?

We just one side on a A4 sheet, with references to online papers such as 1024i, which covers all scenarios rather than ours in particular. That's why I came on here.

Not sure it can be the same deal as on a 457, as you are tied to just one employer on that visa. I suspect that is not the case on a parent visa.

Did you get a page headed 'Bridging Visa Grant Notice'? If so it has a table with details of the bridging visa, and the last line specifies the conditions.

Did you get a page headed 'Bridging Visa Grant Notice'? If so it has a table with details of the bridging visa, and the last line specifies the conditions.

No, we only got one sheet (a letter) saying we have been granted bridging visas - together with a receipt for payment. Maybe that will come tomorrow.

That's just rubbish!!! They are the law on all this - and they can't stand by their advice. Very poor indeed.

Not only don't they stand by it, but they are notoriously inaccurate. They do advise people to use an agent however.

Most agents if you have a fairly straightforward question like 'I have applied for xx visa while on xx visa. If I cancel the first one will the bridging visa also be cancelled?' For free, but the link lebourvellec posted does show it in black and white. There are so many trip hazards in immigration.

I am here to here advice and opinions. Codswallop, not being the most helpful comment thus far.

Let me try to put it another way because you are getting stuck on one issue, and I have already been advised on that one . Just suppose my husband gets the sack. In this instance, his 457 ceases - does it not? The letter we received said 'until the other visa you hold ceases'

So, he then has a 'ceased' visa, so by the wording in the letter: 'your bridging visa will come into effect when any other visa you hold ceases'.

But, I still don't know, whether his right to work will be the same. Anyone?

Codswallop was a bit of a cyber shake as you were not listening and were risking your visa status in Australia, I don't waste time sugar coating when I see someone in such a precarious situation as you seemed to be about to put yourself into. And the rest of the post was an accurate summary of your visa situation, anyway I am pleased to see that you now seem to be on track.