Accountancy skills assessment with a non-accounting degree

Red Hand

Hi,

Has anyone applied for a skills assessment with the ICAA (or another accounting body) with a non-accounting degree? I am happy that the skills assessment can still be positive based on my membership of a fully recognised accounting body.

However, I am wondering if my non-accounting degree needs assessed to get points for my education qualifications?

Given that a minimum of a bachelor degree is required to sit the chartered accountancy exams and this is the case in Australia as well, and the chartered accountancy exams meet core knowledge requirements to prove a bachelor degree level, does DIAC regard the accountancy exams as comparable to degree level and thus should qualify for 15 points? Any ideas?

Or, do you think that I will need to apply to another assessment body to verify my non-accounting degree is comparable to an Australian bachelor degree?

Any feedback or prior experience you may have had with this issue would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

I have non accounting bachelors Degree and a member of ACCA which is only partially recognised by ICAA . I had my skills assessed by ICAA last year and got a positive skills assessment. I had only gained ACCA membership about 8 months before my assessment. So i say go for it. Good luck!

Your degree needs to be relevant otherwise their is no point asking ICAA to assess it. If any part of your degree meets some of the requirements for the accounting competences then it would be worth getting it assessed especially if this means you meet the requirements on an earlier date than your accountancy qualification and so can claim work experience from the earlier date.

Hi all, thanks for replying. I am happy that I can get a positive skills assessment based on being a member of a fully recognised body. But does anyone know if I will need another assessing authority to assess my degree to get points for my education qualifications?? Do you get any educational qualification points for having chartered exams that cover the requirements of bachelor degree?

Is it possible to just submit my degree certificate and transcript to get educational qualification degree level points if I don't get 15 points by having chartered qualification?

Thanks!!

Lou,

My degree does not cover any accounting modules. Do you think it will be required to be assessed by another body to get 15 points in educational qualifications category?

Thanks

What accountancy qualification do you hold? If your degree is not relevant ICAA will just assess whether you meet the criteria based on your accounting qualification. My hubbie didn't have a degree. They assessed him on his ACCA qualification and confirmed it had been assessed as equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree and met the skills requirements for Accountant General.

What accountancy qualification do you hold? If your degree is not relevant ICAA will just assess whether you meet the criteria based on your accounting qualification. My hubbie didn't have a degree. They assessed him on his ACCA qualification and confirmed it had been assessed as equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree and met the skills requirements for Accountant General.

Great Lou, that's what I had hoped for. My accountancy qualification is the ACA (Association of Chartered Accountants).

Can you confirm that your husband had his 15 points for his "educational qualifications" accepted by DIAC? Greatly appreciated!!

Lou, grateful if you could also confirm the number of points you and your husband had to get your EOI accepted so quick!!?? Thanks.

You are mixing up 2 things. The DIAC needs to recognize your degree in order to get 15 points - this does not have to be related to your nominated occupation. You do not need to get your degree assessed to claim points, unless its from some exotic place you will be fine. Say you have a Bsc. in Biology, this will give you 15p a long as the DIAC recognizes it.

Whatever skill assessment authority you chose needs to give you a positive assessment, this can be based on your professional accounting qualification. It's essential but won't give you any points by itself.

You are mixing up 2 things. The DIAC needs to recognize your degree in order to get 15 points - this does not have to be related to your nominated occupation. You do not need to get your degree assessed to claim points, unless its from some exotic place you will be fine. Say you have a Bsc. in Biology, this will give you 15p a long as the DIAC recognizes it.

Whatever skill assessment authority you chose needs to give you a positive assessment, this can be based on your professional accounting qualification. It's essential but won't give you any points by itself.

Hi Joanna, this is exactly my query. As well as a skills assessment, often the skills assessment authority give their opinion on your degree as well to deem at a level equivalent to a bachelor degree in Australia, as this can be the basis they assess your skills on.

My question is, if I wish to obtain the 15 points for my Masters degree, do DIAC need proof from a relevant assessment body that it is deemed comparable to an Australian bachelors degree or do DIAC just require my degree certificate and transcript? My degree is from a recognised university in the UK.

Hi Joanna, this is exactly my query. As well as a skills assessment, often the skills assessment authority give their opinion on your degree as well to deem at a level equivalent to a bachelor degree in Australia, as this can be the basis they assess your skills on.

My question is, if I wish to obtain the 15 points for my Masters degree, do DIAC need proof from a relevant assessment body that it is deemed comparable to an Australian bachelors degree or do DIAC just require my degree certificate and transcript? My degree is from a recognised university in the UK.

As you said, they give an opinion which doesn't mean much.

They don't. Just hand in your degree papers and you can claim 15p.

thanks for clarifying that joanna, now to get the EOI and visa forms sorted!! cheers!!

You'll need to get your accounting assessed by ICAA or CPA.

If you already have a degree the only difference is that you can be assessed as meeting the requirements for Accountant General having passed the relevant ACA exams but without having obtained full membership of the institute. If you don't have a degree then you have to be a full member of ACA before you will be assessed as meeting the requirements. Hope this makes sense!

We claimed:

Age 25

Degree (ACCA assessed as relevant degree) 15

IELTS 20

TOTAL 60

We submitted EOI 24 March and were invited on 1 April.

Don't submit your EOI until you have had your skills assessed by ICCA or CPA (and of course have evidence for other points claimed).

Pm me if I can help any further.

Lou

Thanks wrussell, can you confirm that you have had prior experience with DIAC that they accepted the chartered accountancy qualification as "equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree level"?? Thank you.

Under the current regulations, if you hold a degree in any discipline assessed as comparable to an Australian first degree (or higher) you will be awarded 15 points by the DIAC. It is possible to be positively assessed as an accountant by relying on 'vendor qualifications' but not satisfy the relevant DIAC criteria for 15 points.

If you hold any recognised UK degree you should be OK, unless your degree was conferred by a degree mill. If you are not sure take some professional advice.

Under the current regulations, if you hold a degree in any discipline assessed as comparable to an Australian first degree (or higher) you will be awarded 15 points by the DIAC. It is possible to be positively assessed as an accountant by relying on 'vendor qualifications' but not satisfy the relevant DIAC criteria for 15 points.

If you hold any recognised UK degree you should be OK, unless your degree was conferred by a degree mill. If you are not sure take some professional advice.

hey wrussell, thanks for all you comments and useful advice!!

after receiving ielts results on friday, I have submitted my skills assessment to ICAA. sorry to keep referring back to the comparable degree point but can you please confirm when you say "hold a degree in any discipline assessed as comparable to an Australian first degree" that DIAC perform this assessment (based on degree certificate and transcript) and it is not required to be "assessed" by an assessment body? many thanks

after receiving ielts results on friday, I have submitted my skills assessment to ICAA. sorry to keep referring back to the comparable degree point but can you please confirm when you say "hold a degree in any discipline assessed as comparable to an Australian first degree" that DIAC perform this assessment (based on degree certificate and transcript) and it is not required to be "assessed" by an assessment body? many thanks

Google CEP

You say your masters degree is from a recognized UK University - you should be fine. Didn't you need a Bsc. to get your Masters? Where is that from?

You say your masters degree is from a recognized UK University - you should be fine. Didn't you need a Bsc. to get your Masters? Where is that from?

hi joanna,

my degree was a straight masters degree, without a bachelor. i've no doubt my degree is recognised as "comparable" to an australian bachelor degree but i what i dont know is what DIAC will require for me to prove this? and more importantly if they require me to get an assessment body in australia to assess its comparabilty for them??

ive already submitted my skills assessment, which is due back in 2 weeks, so if i need to get degree assessed, it generally takes a lot longer, so need to initiate this process asap if required!! let me what you think or if you know anyone who experienced this? thanks!!

hi joanna,

my degree was a straight masters degree, without a bachelor. i've no doubt my degree is recognised as "comparable" to an australian bachelor degree but i what i dont know is what DIAC will require for me to prove this? and more importantly if they require me to get an assessment body in australia to assess its comparabilty for them??

ive already submitted my skills assessment, which is due back in 2 weeks, so if i need to get degree assessed, it generally takes a lot longer, so need to initiate this process asap if required!! let me what you think or if you know anyone who experienced this? thanks!!

Your question has already been answered multiple times. You don't need to get your degree assessed to claim points.

hi joanna,

If your getting your skills assessed by one of he accounting bodies they will also confirm if your accountancy is equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree and will state this in their assessment letter.

Your question has already been answered multiple times. You don't need to get your degree assessed to claim points.

Thanks Joanne, I was just was a bit worried when I read the educational qualification points information again, just wanted to make double sure others had got points by just submtting their degree and transcript, I realise now after receiving confirmation from a few bloggers that I should be ok.

Sorry, these visa can drive you crazy sometimes!!

Thanks for your advice ;)

If your getting your skills assessed by one of he accounting bodies they will also confirm if your accountancy is equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree and will state this in their assessment letter.

Thanks Lou, I had emailed the ICAA on this and they wouldnt give me a definite answer, so was seeking some confirmation on my other degree as a backup. Hopefully I have both angles covered!! Lol

This visa process is a little more stressful than I first thought!!

Thanks for all your advice and support so far, no doubt I'll be calling on you again soon!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Can anyone help me about syllabus that I have to send to ICAA please? If anyone one of you who got their skills assessed by this body could help me it would be nice. I am so lost and sent several emails to ICAA about this issue but i didnt get helpful feedback.

My problem is that i can get from my university a program with all courses undertaken but not the details of each subject. Can anyone send me an example of what is required please?

Please PM me if you can help

Thank you in advance.

Archived