VISA Granted!!!! :):):)

deldesouza4369

We awoke this morning to the amazing news that our 189 Skilled Independent Visa has been granted!!! We're absolutely delighted!

Just wanted to post to thank every single member here; you've all contributed massively whether in answer to my questions directly or in response to others in the past. It's a great resource which holds so much data on the process. We decided to go it alone without an agent; as we went along it was the information that has been posted here that's made it far easier to decipher the whole visa application process, it's been invaluable. So thanks to every single one of you who have ever answered a question/query to me or to anyone else; it's really great.

We're ready to get ourselves packed up and shipped out. It feels so good to have our destiny back in our own hands again :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks again

For any who are interested here is our timeline:

IELTS: 27th Oct 2012 (Overall band 9, R:9, L:9, W8.5:, S:9)

Skills assessment: Engineers Australia - 10th Dec 2012

EOI submitted: 23rd Dec 2012

Invitation Received: 3rd Jan 2013

Submitted application: 23rd Jan 2013

CO assigned: 13th Mar 2013

PCC: 26th Mar 2013

Meds: 1st Apr 2013

Granted: 8th Apr 2013

Well done!!!!

I share your joy. I was awarded a visa for WA in Nov last year. We're hoping to make the move in August this year. I'm at a loss though about a few things ie. accomodation when we first arrive, schools etc.

I'm interested to know more of how you are planning your move and hopefully get some tips.

I'm in Scotland and moving to Perth with my wife and two kids.

I whole-heartedly agree with you about how helpful this site is. I know for a fact that I would be in a far worse position just now if was not for the quick and accurate responses from members. Big thanks.

All the best on your adventure,

Michael

Thanks!

First place to go is to the DIAC website (http://www.immi.gov.au) there is lots of information there to inform you about what's available (or not) to you. Whilst there check out the SOL (Skilled Occupation List) (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/) If your occupation is on this list; then you can apply for a few different types of visa. You will need to meet 60 points in the points test, which is explained in the booklet you can get from here (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books6.htm)

Have a look around, get lots of information, everything is out there if you look for it, going through the process yourself is tough but this forum can help if you come across specific problems, just search, there are always people who've had the same problem as you're having. If you're daunted by the thought of getting lots of documentation and evidence together or you don't have a straight forward case, consult an agent; they can tell you what you need to do and lead you through the process; that comes at a cost of course. If you do consult an agent make sure they're MARA registered.

Good luck!

Hi Michael,

Excellent, congrats to you guys as well! We're in Glasgow (well Paisley, but don't tell anyone) right now and it's just me and my OH going over; we hope to get out to Melbourne by July (quite quick I know!).

We've not planned massively yet (that's this weeks task), but in general we're looking at two ideas for where we're going to stay when we get there.

1. Is look for a holiday let for maybe 2-4weeks (could be expensive) and then try to get a rented property within that period.

2. Is try to have a rented property sorted out from this end before we leave (less likely but probably less upheaval in the long run).

I've heard Perth can be difficult to get rental property initially due to the distorted economy over there. We don't have kids yet, which removes some of the complexity from our equation. However, my dads friend and family went to Brisbane 2 years ago on a 457 (now going for PR visa), he picked the school for his kids first (not quite sure how he did this, possibly using some local knowledge from his employers), that led him to the area he would stay in. He stays maybe an hour outside the city, so he's got quite a commute, but it's really suited the kids. Sorry I haven't got more to offer there!

As for everything else, my girlfriend and I both had separate properties here, so we've rented her flat already and I'm now setting the wheels in motion to rent mine out; it means if it all goes wrong I have something to back to, or if it all goes right I've got an investment. Selling will take too long for us and we're happy to start from scratch in Oz. So we'll be shipping the minimum of our possessions (zero furniture, just clothing, work tools, sports equipment, laptops, etc) and building from there. It'll be basic to begin with, but we're willing to work at it.

Keep in touch, as we plough through it all, I'm sure we'll learn a lot!

Cheers

Derek

Hi Michael,

Excellent, congrats to you guys as well! We're in Glasgow (well Paisley, but don't tell anyone) right now and it's just me and my OH going over; we hope to get out to Melbourne by July (quite quick I know!).

We've not planned massively yet (that's this weeks task), but in general we're looking at two ideas for where we're going to stay when we get there.

1. Is look for a holiday let for maybe 2-4weeks (could be expensive) and then try to get a rented property within that period.

2. Is try to have a rented property sorted out from this end before we leave (less likely but probably less upheaval in the long run).

I've heard Perth can be difficult to get rental property initially due to the distorted economy over there. We don't have kids yet, which removes some of the complexity from our equation. However, my dads friend and family went to Brisbane 2 years ago on a 457 (now going for PR visa), he picked the school for his kids first (not quite sure how he did this, possibly using some local knowledge from his employers), that led him to the area he would stay in. He stays maybe an hour outside the city, so he's got quite a commute, but it's really suited the kids. Sorry I haven't got more to offer there!

As for everything else, my girlfriend and I both had separate properties here, so we've rented her flat already and I'm now setting the wheels in motion to rent mine out; it means if it all goes wrong I have something to back to, or if it all goes right I've got an investment. Selling will take too long for us and we're happy to start from scratch in Oz. So we'll be shipping the minimum of our possessions (zero furniture, just clothing, work tools, sports equipment, laptops, etc) and building from there. It'll be basic to begin with, but we're willing to work at it.

Keep in touch, as we plough through it all, I'm sure we'll learn a lot!

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek, cheers for the reply. I'm not far from Paisley (not far enough haha) in Balloch, Loch Lomond. Wow! July eh? Better do do it as quick as you can. We're just waiting for our oldest kid to finish his school year, do a bit of saying cheerio to our scattered clan then get there as soon as we can.

I've been looking at holiday lets/Serviced apartments and find them quite expensive much like everything else so a short stay would be more economical. I've read that rented property can only be done once you're there as you are required to view the property first. Gumtree has been mentioned as a place to look for finding private rentals but I've yet to go down that road. I've been planning this move for ten years and I decided not to buy property here in Scotland, a decision I still stand by today so we will be starting from scratch out there. We've decided not to take furniture either, just personal belongings and tools, laptop, TVs etc.

I have friends who recently moved to Sydney. They stayed in a hotel for the first few nights, then a serviced apartment for about a month while they found a rental suitable to their needs. I think this will be roughly the same road I will take. Choosing a good school for the kids is top of our list for areas to choose from. We have friends in Perth who will help us out in any way they can so we are quite lucky in that respect.

Good luck on your travels, hope Melbourne is good to you. It'll be good to hear how you get on.

Guest gemma87

gosh looking at your time scales that is quick, i hope ours goes through as quick as urs we have just submitted our eoi but hope to be in oz by christmas.

gosh looking at your time scales that is quick, i hope ours goes through as quick as urs we have just submitted our eoi but hope to be in oz by christmas.

Yeah it really was quick; we had a relatively straight forward case I think! I maxed out the points to try and get a quick invite; it worked, we were invited on the first intake after submitting EOI.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

We awoke this morning to the amazing news that our 189 Skilled Independent Visa has been granted!!! We're absolutely delighted!

Just wanted to post to thank every single member here; you've all contributed massively whether in answer to my questions directly or in response to others in the past. It's a great resource which holds so much data on the process. We decided to go it alone without an agent; as we went along it was the information that has been posted here that's made it far easier to decipher the whole visa application process, it's been invaluable. So thanks to every single one of you who have ever answered a question/query to me or to anyone else; it's really great.

We're ready to get ourselves packed up and shipped out. It feels so good to have our destiny back in our own hands again :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks again

For any who are interested here is our timeline:

IELTS: 27th Oct 2012 (Overall band 9, R:9, L:9, W8.5:, S:9)

Skills assessment: Engineers Australia - 10th Dec 2012

EOI submitted: 23rd Dec 2012

Invitation Received: 3rd Jan 2013

Submitted application: 23rd Jan 2013

CO assigned: 13th Mar 2013

PCC: 26th Mar 2013

Meds: 1st Apr 2013

Granted: 8th Apr 2013

Congratulations :)

What is your major, civil, mechanical or something else?

Congratulations :)

What is your major, civil, mechanical or something else?

Cheers! Major was in Mechanical Design Engineering. Engineers Australia assigned my ANZCO occupation as a Mechanical Engineer which meant I wouldn't need state sponsorship as it's on the SOL; I thought they might stick me down as an engineering technologist, or engieeering NEC which would have meant I needed sponsorship as they're on the CSOL. Got lucky :smile:

Archived