Is it worth shipping furniture back or better to buy new in the uk

byrned

We didnt think it was worth shipping our stuff back and sold the lot on Gumtree and got very good prices too.

Unless you have items that are worth alot of money,I would,as Julz suggested,sell and re buy new furniture here.The majority of furniture shops here have regular sales,even supermarkets now have online furniture sections,plus Debenhams and BHS also have regular sales so can pick up some really good bargains.If you are budgeting at first,there is of course Gumtree here also,Ebay,Trade it and so on.

I'd say unless its really good quality then sell there and buy once you are back in the UK.

TBH you can get loads of good stuff second hand on Gumtree and the like if you don't want to buy new. Our dining table is second hand. Its gorgeous and I'd searched for something new for ages and never found what I was after. Spotted the ad for the table and some pics and bought it. Saved myself hundreds of pounds also.

Also Ikea is well priced here for flat pack. And plenty of other stores selling similar for cheap prices. And good quality pure wood stuff is also reasonably priced to buy new. Also if you can wait till sales are on you can get stuff for daft prices. Or find closing down sales for furniture places and get things cheap.

We have been having the same dilemma about what to ship and what to buy new too. In the end I did a quick costing of what stuff we might need back in the UK if we sold all our furniture here and it's soooooo much cheaper. There are a few items we will ship back but by putting it in a shared consignment it's much more economical. Good luck with it all. :)

Archived