9 months in - our experience

Paula and Jay

Hi all, not been on here for a while so thought we'd post an update.

Been here 9 months now, we've moved to a new suburb and both moved jobs. I think that's the hardest thing we've had to get over - the work is very different to the UK. Someone mentioned on here the other day that there is a "macho ego" office environment over here and I definitely agree. Some people i have had the displeasure of working with have such a high opinion of themselves its ridiculous. I am on a 457 and left the company that sponsored me after 6 months as I'd never been spoken to or treated so badly in all my career. The expectation to work from 7am until 10pm was ridiculous and something I was not willing to do -purely because the reason people were working late was bad organisation and management. Therefore I left, and now work for a much better company. The office doesn't have the banter of the UK but its less stressful and much better money so softens the blow. This has definitely been the toughest thing to get over, it's amazing how much work in the UK involves a social element. Over here it doesn't (from what I've experienced).

Sydney is a lovely place to live, the weather is fantastic, there is loads to do, and were enjoying it. I do find some people here extremely rude, and arrogant, but it's the same anywhere. We moved to mascot and have a nice apartment, close to the train line, we have a much better lifestyle here and money is a lot better, yes everything is more expensive but our salaries more than cover it s it's all good.

I don't think we will stay here forever but were definitely glad we have done it - the first 6 months were so tough but I think we're on the upward now. I'd recommend anyone doing it but make sure you're 100% into it because its very different the reality to the perception. You still have to work hard, and do food shopping and pay bills etc. Saying that though, the sun makes it a lot better!

The good thing about living here is its so cheap to travel (in Australia), flights are cheap, trains are cheap, so were seeing a lot of the place. We bought a new car (relatively easy to get credit), so we explore every weekend it's great.

It's definitely a very stressful thing to do, and were still not fully settled. The people who say give it 2 years are right, it's sort of a daze the first 6 months and only now are we beginning to get into a routine and enjoy it. It's been tough and we miss our friends terribly, but on the flip side we love the lifestyle out here. I'm hoping we will find an equal balance soon.

I see people on here starting their own journeys and wish everyone the best of luck!

if anyone needs any info or advice then please don't hesitate to let me know,

Jay

Cal just seen this on your comment - very true!

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I've had jobs here where the social aspect is HUGE - going to the pub on a Friday arvo, for example, which is like NYE on 52 Fridays a year, BUT, it depends on the culture of the office and whether there are pubs and bars handy, and if everybody goes to work by public transport rather than driving. I worked at Garden Island for twelve years from 1984 to 1996 and I am still friends with people I worked with there, despite leaving and returning to the UK for twelve years. Much the same thing happened during my twelve years working for Royal Mail but it was more difficult with people working on different shifts and most taking their cars to work. I made plenty of friends but it was easier just to drive home and go to my local pub.

I put in some horrendous hours at Garden Island (twelve hour days plus Saturdays) and I know there is a culture of 'presenteeism' rife in certain workplaces, although I fancy it is much the same in The City of London if you are in banking/broking/the law?. I was reading recently - in bloody 'Madison!' (I found it in the garbage area below my unit) about a woman who said her colleagues all glared at her if she actually took her half an hour lunch break. I am making up for all those extra hours now, having worked about four months in four years back in Sydney!

Sorry to hear you have encountered some nastiness - not my experience in Sydney, where, contrary to my expectations before coming here (in 1978) I have met much nicer people than in the UK!

Cal just seen this on your comment - very true!

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Thanks,, and i can hand on heart say over 6 years in, its definitely worth it,,lol

Cal x

Archived