sports development jobs - are there any out there?!!

Cam

Hi,

We're looking at giving Sydney a 1-year trial, but I'm really concerned about whether I can get a job in my field: sports development. I haven't found much on the web so far. It feels like too much of a risk of 7 years hard work in the field & I'm too long in the tooth for waitressing again.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• 2 years later...

If anyone is interested in this. Having been in Sydney for 6 months, admittedly during a downturn, but this is my conclusion.

1 - sports is so not funded in the same way here, despite the Rudd policy talking about health & community most funding still only goes into elite sport.

2 - The Active After Schools program is probably the closest to some jobs at home but without the flexibility or use of initiative that you may normally use, however with funding coming to an end in Dec 2010, the debate is out whether it will continue as although they say they are meeting their targets most of the kids engaged are sporty kids rather than non-sporty kids.

3 - Jobs come up randomly with sport governing bodies which would be similar to those back home

4 - Council jobs are few & far between & mainly focus on facilities rather than programmes & initiatives

5 - Don't stick to one place if you want to make a go of it be prepared to work anywhere & fly to an interview!!

6 - Victoria may be best bet for health & physical activity positions.

7 - High competition for jobs, I've been turned down for jobs I would have done 6 years ago

8 - Really need to prove that you are in this for the longterm with the employer otherwise they'll just take a local.

I wish I knew all this before we came as we may have had a better chance of staying,but that's why you come to find out what opportunities are out there. Things may change when Oz comes out of the Global Financial Crisis, but at the moment if your field is influenced by public funding it could mean that there are very few jobs out there. Despite the media, yes there is a recession going on out here in the job market.

• 4 months later...

Hi Cam, just wondering that after 5 months of you writing your last post if you've had any luck in sports development. The reason I ask is thats what my partner is looking for and is having the same trouble you were at the start of the year. Is there any hope?

Any info would be great :)

Hi Dancing Santa,

We ended up coming back to the UK in May, as I was at the end of my maternity leave so it made sense to go back to my old job rather than just wait in hope in Sydney. I haven't noticed much coming through on the email alerts I set up, although apparently Oz's autumn/ winter is a better time for recruitment. I should imagine that all the uncertainty caused by the elections has probably affected things too. It could be that jobs pick up again next year. Oz is very slow with filtering through policy & funding so I think alot of people stay in their jobs for longer as there's less opportunity to move around. We'd definitely be back in Oz if we had a choice, & I was offered a job a week after we came back which was really gutting. There are still some specific sports governing body jobs which come up. I guess the only real issue is competition for jobs in large cities and employers lack of understanding of what people do in the UK, & that we do so much more in our roles than I think alot of people do in Oz!!! I'm not sure what's happening with the Active After-Schools initiative post-December 2010.

I think I found things a bit harder as I couldn't just jump for any job or casual coaching work to get my foot in the door, as I had to think about childcare & also taking a career break, so needed to get a position that was at a similar level to my current job. I will still keep my eye out at what's out there incase things change, as I don't think we quite got Oz out of our systems!!

Let me know how your partner does. What sort of background does he have? Local authority? Governing body? Community?... & where abouts are you based?

Good luck.

Hi Dancing Santa,

We ended up coming back to the UK in May, as I was at the end of my maternity leave so it made sense to go back to my old job rather than just wait in hope in Sydney. I haven't noticed much coming through on the email alerts I set up, although apparently Oz's autumn/ winter is a better time for recruitment. I should imagine that all the uncertainty caused by the elections has probably affected things too. It could be that jobs pick up again next year. Oz is very slow with filtering through policy & funding so I think alot of people stay in their jobs for longer as there's less opportunity to move around. We'd definitely be back in Oz if we had a choice, & I was offered a job a week after we came back which was really gutting. There are still some specific sports governing body jobs which come up. I guess the only real issue is competition for jobs in large cities and employers lack of understanding of what people do in the UK, & that we do so much more in our roles than I think alot of people do in Oz!!! I'm not sure what's happening with the Active After-Schools initiative post-December 2010.

I think I found things a bit harder as I couldn't just jump for any job or casual coaching work to get my foot in the door, as I had to think about childcare & also taking a career break, so needed to get a position that was at a similar level to my current job. I will still keep my eye out at what's out there incase things change, as I don't think we quite got Oz out of our systems!!

Let me know how your partner does. What sort of background does he have? Local authority? Governing body? Community?... & where abouts are you based?

Good luck.

Hi Cam,

Sorry to hear that you've gone back, especially as you sound like you want to be in oz still.

Sarah

Thank you for this. My background is as SDO at a local council but i then went into teaching for a few years. Was considering teaching for a bit to see what opportunities might come up when i know the systems etc a bit better. Also I coach a few sports to a decent level so that can tide me over but again its bits and bobs and would rather have a guaranteed salary. In Sunshine Coast but moving to Brisbane to see if there is more opportunity around there. Anyway, many thanks again, will let you know how things go!

Jamie & Sarah

Hi there, I get a regular job update from sportspeople which is useful. Fitness Australia isn't a proper regulatory body apparently & well, say no more. AUsport update their jobs every Friday, but no news as yet as to whether they are going to have government funding for AASC post-December.

I reckon you should contact your local AASC regional coordinator & get yourself on one of their coach days as they are very good & will potentially offer you some regular coaching & an idea of what's going on.

Check that your coaching qualifications will be accepted, as sometimes they may require you to update or re-take parts to put you in line with the relevant Australian sporting body qualification. With me with Trampolining I think I needed to do tumbling as well!!!

I'd also contact Brisbane Council & speak to their Sport & Rec department as I remember their website was pretty good at one stage & there have been one or two jobs advertised up that way. But you will need to explain in detail what your experience is as they haven't quite made the connection yet with sports development & community development, I think our UK roles require a wider variety of skills so it's worth telling them what you've been up to.

My husband's cousin taught for a year in Oz as a supply & loved it, & got loads of work & they really liked her. For some reason if you have less than 4 years at Uni they think of you as a junior teacher, so a lower pay scale, despite the years of experience, but if you did a PGCE after your degree then you'd meet the 4 year thing. Definitely think that might be a good way to get started & to start making contacts.

Good luck & let me know how you go. In the last weeks I've been contacted by NSW health to apply for some jobs over there, just gutted it wasn't 8 months ago, maybe it means that economically Oz is starting to pull through.

• 7 months later...
Guest markpeteacher

Hi Guys I hope you are all well?

I am a new member, and I'm emigrating to Melbourne in may this year. I am a secondary PE teacher and looking to get into teaching in melbourne. I completed my PGCE in Kent two years ago but as male PE teaching is very oversubscribed I didnt get a job. I have worked in nutrition, sales and recruitementsince. All of these were based around education, nutrition and sport. What are my chances of starting supply/relief and possibility of getting a long term contract? I am aware the system is similar to the UK in regards to completing my NQT year and I know I have to teach two subjects which is not a problem for me at all.

Any help or advice would be very helpful. If any of you are around melbourne in may it would be great to meet people too!

Thanks very much for your time!!

All the best

• 1 month later...
Guest Michala

Hello there

I am in a similar position, except I have not been granted a 457 yet, did you say you had. I thought you could only get that if you had a job sponsor, I am very confused HELP, or can anybody help me out

Cheers

Archived