chippy in hobart thinking of working in perth

buster11

hi every one

i am struggling big time in hobart for work(5 years in oz) thinking of taking my landrover to perth to find work and possibly relocate. can any body offer advise for best tradie areas and whats the weather really like out there and lifestyle. Thanks in advance !!!

hi every one

i am struggling big time in hobart for work(5 years in oz) thinking of taking my landrover to perth to find work and possibly relocate. can any body offer advise for best tradie areas and whats the weather really like out there and lifestyle. Thanks in advance !!!

Why don't just get on the ferry and come over to Melbourne.I'd be giving that a go before dragging yourself over Perth.

what can you tell me about melbourne, is that where you are. Yes it would be cheaper but attracted to WA
Melbourne has slowed down for sure but in saying that I'm working on average 10 hours a day. Lately I've been doing 12 to catch up on a backlog. I've been here a long time,so I'm established.My personal circumstance was that in the 7 years I was in Perth I never got the chance to work on the tools.Building slump and interest rates at 18% didn't help.I moved to Melbourne and haven't stopped since.

Now in fairness I wouldn't have a clue what it's like there now as I left 18 years ago.When I was there all the houses were double brick ( no framing required )Some houses were hard plaster to the floor ( no skirting) All the door jambs were steel and built in by the brickies( prehung door to pop on) The only carpentry was the hand cut roof( no trusses ) the locals are real good at that.When was the last time you pitched a roof by hand? So as you can see there isn't much work for a 1st and 2nd fixer.

I have an idea there is plenty of shuttering going on;that seems to ring a bell.

You need to speak to someone over there but make sure they are on the ground walking the walk.

It's all timber frame over in Vic,you have got to stand more of a chance here.

Best of luck with it.

thanks kipper2

The style of build is a major factor for carpentry and the amount of work on domestic builds.Thanks for that, maybe Melbourne it is, i have got a few weeks before i will becoming over. 18 % would have crippled me, ****!

Are you a sub-contractor?

yes you are right someone who is on the ground walking the walk, nice!

thanks kipper2

The style of build is a major factor for carpentry and the amount of work on domestic builds.Thanks for that, maybe Melbourne it is, i have got a few weeks before i will becoming over. 18 % would have crippled me, ****!

Are you a sub-contractor?

yes you are right someone who is on the ground walking the walk, nice!

Yes I'm a subby.I did lock up and fix for years but now doing maintenance.Least it's meant to be but I get all the tricky jobs which suits me just fine.Next week I have to rip a stud wall out and rebuild because cavity slider was fitted the wrong way round.So carpentry/plaster/paint.Makes it a bit more interesting.Have you tried the people who build the Sea Cat ferry.My mate used to work there when he didn't have any carpentry work on.

Hi Kipper, thanks for inquiring on my behalf. Lock up and fix , how is this done in Melbourne, does this include slab/ footings etc.

What is the time frame on works? Is this apart of a team?

Where in Melbourne, need to get organised.

Hi Kipper, thanks for inquiring on my behalf. Lock up and fix , how is this done in Melbourne, does this include slab/ footings etc.

What is the time frame on works? Is this apart of a team?

Where in Melbourne, need to get organised.

Lock up and fix has nothing to do with slab/footings.

What kind of work have you been doing in Oz?

This is sub contract price work.

Working solo(unless you what to bring a mate)

In the western subs

thanks Kipper2 , can you explain whats involved? eg footings, slab or is this all ready done and is it apart of a team.What is time frame ?
Well there's no written time frame as such.It's usually a case of the supervisor saying 'when are you going to be finished because the plasters want to get in' Or the painters.

Forget about slabs,it's nothing to do with carpentry.

Can you just clarify for me that you are an apprenticed served carpenter / joiner.

hey kipper getting a little cocky now!

1989 city and guilds joinery and carpentry.

Australia 5 years of aussie style timber framing and certified builder in Tasmania!

I believe the tassie boys do the complete package not just handling of timber framing thats why their called builders!

I will look after my self !

hey kipper getting a little cocky now!

1989 city and guilds joinery and carpentry.

Australia 5 years of aussie style timber framing and certified builder in Tasmania!

I believe the tassie boys do the complete package not just handling of timber framing thats why their called builders!

I will look after my self !

You've taken that completely the wrong way. Some of the questions you asked seemed very basic and that was a bit of a concern.lets be fair you would want some reassurance when dealing with a complete stranger wouldn't you.Especially when I'm lining a job up for you.

So if my construction manager asks what your experience is are you going to react in the same manner and call him cocky?I had a job lined up for you and you send me a nasty private msg.I don't get it.You say that you will look after yourself.Good luck with that.Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I was WORKING !!!....On a Sunday!!!

some of the questions were basic, i needed to understand how things worked in Melbourne, obviously things are very different from each state( you said that you're self) A construction manager would ask for resume and references before any work would commence. Also kipper you never answered any queries that i had, you jumped on the idea that i am a novice.If you worked all day on Sunday, what are doing on here!!

No wonder people get put off helping others - the guy almost had a job for you and you chucked his help in his face - I hope you look after yourself because I certainly wouldn't help you out!

Archived