Need to know what to do now, WHV

kevin123

So first of all hello everyone, I'm Kevin I'm 28 and from London. I have just had 6 months unpaid leave from my place of work agreed along with just over a months paid leave. So I'm going to pack my backpack and me and my girlfriend are heading for Australia! Hopefully around August time but we are quite flexible on that.

I don't know much about what to do, got a few questions

obtaining the visa? Should I get a company to do it for me?

Booking flights? Is a round the world flight flexible on the dates that you travel? Any advice on flights would be helpful.

Between us we are going to be taking over £15k so hopefully won't have to work too much out there but will do it for the experience of being in oz. and if I have a bit of money left would be nice to come home via somewhere nice like Hawaii or somewhere like that.

are there any useful guides I can find here? Any info is much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Only thing I can advise on really is the visa. Please don't fork out for a company to do it for you. It is soo easy to do yourself and is pretty much always granted straightaway! These companies always offer things like setting up bank accounts and so on - which are all easy to do on your own too. People do use these companies though and I suppose if you're not bothered about money and cba doing things yourself then they're a good thing! But, I hate these companies! Good luck :)

Ive met quite alot of people who done the round the world ticket (i havent personally) but there is a very common one that goes to thailand,australia, new zealand, fiji,la, london for around 1500 I think. (STA Travel is normally the chosen travel shop for this)

If you have plenty of money Id say make the most of it and just travel what you can, Australia is beautiful though and if your looking for a luxury holiday after/inbetween defiantly go over to fiji, lovely spot!

As mentioned above depends on what visa you want to get it, if you plan on working then you will need the WHV but if you are only going to be travelling you can get the tourist one and do a trip inbetween to nz, fiji or wherever to break up the 6 months (you can stay in the country for 3 month intervals for up to a year, so as long as you leave before 3months you can come back straight after)

There is so many different options out there so it all depends on what you want to do :)

I agree with Stacey, I would not get the WHV if you are going to be there for less than six months and won't necessarily want to work. The WHV is a once in a lifetime visa, might be better to save it up.

Thats what i think, just a bit of a waste when it could be used later on. Although ive got a bit of a cheek since i might never use mine!

It sounds like they might not need to work anyway if they are careful with their money

i understand what you are saying about the WHV but i am 29 in November and the WHV is only available until you are 30 so there is not much chance i am going to use it again.

i will look into the tourist visa thing though, can you get a WHV out there if you need it? or do you have to get it in the UK before you go?

i understand what you are saying about the WHV but i am 29 in November and the WHV is only available until you are 30 so there is not much chance i am going to use it again.

i will look into the tourist visa thing though, can you get a WHV out there if you need it? or do you have to get it in the UK before you go?

You have to be offshore to apply for a WHV. It is usually granted within a few days, sometimes hours.

It is really simple to apply for, no need to pay a company to apply for it for you. If you've cause for concern re the application say, a criminal record then go consult a reputable migration agent.

If you are not going to get the chance again, take the WHV option up and go enjoy and have the option of working along the way and seeing some parts of Aus you might not normally see (sheep stations and the like perhaps).

i think i am going to go for the WHV because even tho i am going with a bit of money behind me i wouldnt mind coming home via Hawaii or somewhere cool like that and that wont be cheap!

when should i apply for the visa if i am planing on going in august?

and how do i go about doing the tax code and the aus bank account?

i think i am going to go for the WHV because even tho i am going with a bit of money behind me i wouldnt mind coming home via Hawaii or somewhere cool like that and that wont be cheap!

when should i apply for the visa if i am planing on going in august?

and how do i go about doing the tax code and the aus bank account?

If you are defo going in August you could apply anytime now. It'll be valid then. If you are not set on August and could go later, wait a bit longer.

Bank account can be opened online easy enough nearer the time. This bank is often used by people although IIRC there are others.

http://www.anz.com/unitedkingdom/en/personal/moving-australia/open-bank-account/

thanks for the replies guys, applied for my visa at about 11am this morning (sunday) was expecting a reply in the week sometime. Got an email about 2pm saying it is granted!

Are there any good websites for hostels in oz?

i am going to visit sta travel and see what they can do for me with the flights. Im very excited to make this happen!

In fact you can get it up until the day before you are 31, so maybe a bit longer than you think.

If you got there and after a few months decided you wanted to stay longer, you could make a quick hop to Fiji or NZ or somewhere to apply for it.

thanks for the replies guys, applied for my visa at about 11am this morning (sunday) was expecting a reply in the week sometime. Got an email about 2pm saying it is granted!

Are there any good websites for hostels in oz?

i am going to visit sta travel and see what they can do for me with the flights. Im very excited to make this happen!

Congrats! Exciting! Yes STA seem to be good - i was on their website earlier and they seem to have different deals - buspasses, train passes etc. Probably hostels aswell.

Skyscanner is another good website for checking the cheapest flights. If your wanting hostel reviews then you could PM some of the WHV regulars on here - digitalis, nikachau etc.

Best of luck!

Bank accounts are easy to open, just walk into a branch with some ID. I went with NAB as they offered a savings account attached to my current account so I could keep my savings separate and monitor my spending more easily. Their online and iphone banking are really easy to use too.

This is how to apply for your Tax File Number:

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/to-do-first/apply-for-tfn.htm

And make sure you register with medicare too (take a printed copy of your visa with you):

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/health-care-for-visitors-to-australia

For hostels I just googled where I was heading then checked them out on Trip Advisor - haven't gone too far wrong! You can always just pay for one night to start with if you're unsure, there's usually plenty of competition and standards are pretty high

Enjoy every minute - that 6 month career break might rapidly extend - mine has!!

Archived