A year out in Brisbane

tazinaspin

Hi im just starting to make all the arrangements for going out to oz on a working holiday visa in the next 6 months. Just wanted to pick some ideas of things ill need to do other than the glaringly obvious Visa, Travel insurance, booking flights and arranging bank account and tax file numbers. Also has anyone got any good pointers or advice on the best place to apply for visa (ie is it worth while going through a company who arrange the bank and tax number or is it just as good to go directly through the government and sort the rest myself?) I will be staying with a friend out there in the gold coast area so accommodation is all in hand. there seems so much to think about and would like to get my priorities n order so there are no nasty surprises later on down teh line! Thanks for reading and any suggestions ideas would be helpful

I think its probably best to just do it yourself, ive saw people saying its easy to get a tax number etc.

Although ive also heard of people using the company groups like BUNAC because you get other advantages. I assume its maybe cheaper hostels etc but ive never checked it out so couldnt say for sure. Best of luck

agree with the others you can do it yourself it's really easy, it took me about half an hour? just need things like your passport handy to fill in all the details. Took ten mins to get approved. It's enough money without getting someone else to do it! Banking is easy too, I went with ANZ but there's loads of others, there's normally a section on their website for migrants or working holiday travellers. I'd go for the migrant one if there's no traveller one. You just need to set it up online and if it's approved they'll ask to come into a local branch (of whatever city you land in) and activate it. I think you can transfer money to it before you go but imo it's a risky move. I took aussie travellers cheques with me and put that into my ANZ account. If you get it changed from UK pounds to aussie travellers cheques in the UK before you go, they shouldn't charge you to put the travellers cheques into your account. They tried to do that to me but I was like nooo way it's already in aussie money lol. Tax number you need to apply when you;re in aus, you can use your friends address.

Archived