Australia: Victorian premier removed as state slides into recession

twinsmom65

Guest chris955

The 2 speed economy has become even more clear in the last 6 months or so. How the country can be earning so much from mining and allow States to slide into recession is beyond me. I look forward to Juliar getting the boot but its going to be out of the fryingpan and into the fire with the alternative.

It really isn't that bad, and i think the definition of recession here is rather different to the UK and economic sentiment (minus the political noise) is fairly positive.

Unemployment actually fell last month, it's 5.5 % in this state.

Compared with 8.5% in London, 5 years after the never ending recession there started, and i know where i'd rather be.

I didnt have a job lined up before i came and have managed just fine, just do your homework first though.

Guest chris955

Fallen to 5.5%, thats interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-07/big-jump-in-victoria27s-unemployment-rate/4506474

Also as you mentioned London the rate there went down in the same period.

The definition of recession is exactly the same, a period of negative growth. It has nothing to do with where one or other person would rather be, those people losing their jobs are still unemployed.

Guest Guest 47403

Hopefully the states that are in recession have learnt from watching the mistakes made by the UK and will get themselves out of it quickly by stimulating growth again, I wouldn't wish the state of the UK economy on anyone.

Guest chris955

Well yes lets hope they can stimulate growth but I can see there will be much improvement while the dollar is so high, it is causing rises in unemployment and major pain for manufacturers and exporters. Australia needs another round of interest cuts.

Is part of the problem that UK, Australian Federal and State government all face that our society is expecting a greater and greater role of government and provision of social safety nets, but are unwilling to fund this through higher levels of taxation.

Nowadays it seems unpalletable that anyone in society is allowed to fall by the wayside and it is expected that the state should be there to provide a good standard of living to all. But this comes at a cost that governments can not sustain.

I think I read that 25% of welfare spending is financed by borrowing in the UK. I think this is a greater indicator that we can not afford the safety nets that governments are pressured to provide.

Its a very noble idea that we should be able to look after our own as a society. But what happens when can not longer afford to?

Whilst i agree that there are far too many people who expect state handouts. The real problem lies in wealth distribution does it not? The richest people in the UK have increased their wealth during the worst recession we have ever seen. Something does not quite add up there if you ask me. People lose their homes because they fall behind in mortgage payments because they have lost their jobs and large corporations are handed billions of assistance yet still increase bonuses and pay rates.

I agree, but the bonuses and pay rises are funded by the private sector, whereas the welfare is funded by the public sector.

So as mentioned previously, unless society (which includes individuals and corporations) are willing to redistribute that wealth in the form of higher taxes, then the publis purse doesnt have enough to go around - yet society expects it to do so.

Fallen to 5.5%, thats interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-07/big-jump-in-victoria27s-unemployment-rate/4506474

Also as you mentioned London the rate there went down in the same period.

The definition of recession is exactly the same, a period of negative growth. It has nothing to do with where one or other person would rather be, those people losing their jobs are still unemployed.

The link is last months figures,there's been a big fall this month.

I noticed just today that the exchange rate for the US$ is slightly higher than AUS$. So that is why... :arghh:

Because the USD is worth less than AUD.

So if your converting GBP to USD you will get more USD than you would if you are converting GBP to AUD.

Traditionally 1 AUD would be worth around 0.75 USD. Nowadays its averaging 1.04 USD.

The link is last months figures,there's been a big fall this month.

Not really a big fall but definitely a slight one according to this posted today -

''Australia's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate remained steady at 5.4 per cent in February, as announced by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) today. ''

More info can be found here - http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/latestProducts/6202.0Media%20Release1Feb%202013

Cal x

Yep really showing it is a two speed economy now in Australia !

I feel bad for anyone moving now. You would def need a job lined up first I think in order to move over.

Karen

It's been a two speed economy for a couple of years - the mining versus the non-mining states.

But today the employment figures for February were announced and there was an increase of 70,000+ jobs, much to everyone's surprise - the biggest monthly increase in over 10 years.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/spectacular-jobs-growth-keeps-unemployment-down-20130314-2g1xu.html

Guest chris955

I must say I share the suspicion mentioned in that story, forecasts of 10,000 jobs turns into over 70,000 :rolleyes:

Mostly part time but good none the less. Its interesting at a time we are seeing lots of lay offs but we have to believe what they say I guess.

I would be equally sceptical if it happened here it must be said.

Where have you all been old news, Ted went a few days ago, it was bound to happen, Victoria has been losing jobs for months and months in fact ever since the gov changed and the new gov were hell bent on getting a surplus. Also the Feds because its an election year have been cutting too hence no nursing jobs around much as they cut cut the health. Increased waiting lists etc. However that said it sounds bad but its not that bad and I will be surprised if most Victorians notice apart from those affected.

Archived