statement of educational needs/disability!

wattswalkaboutgang

Does anyone on this forum have a child with Educational special needs or a disability? My son who is 16 has had a statement of educational needs in place since he was about 6 yrs old, he is in mainstream school, but does find school hard and needs help in lessons. I am so worried about his future. We are discussing him either staying on in the 6th form and doing a year there until we move to Aus middle of 2009 or him going to a small college to do a foundation course in construction. He is interested in becoming a Bricklayer. I would imagine that this course would stand him in good sted to carry that on in Aus as the GCSE's don't seem to count for anything in Aus anyway. Any advice you could pass my way would be of great help.

Kind Regards Alison x

hi, do you know where you will live? every state has a different education system. i have worked at a special needs school, these were kids that could not attend mainstream schools. high schools here on the gold coast do have integrated education for kids with special needs.

Were you thinking of him continuing his education here? Every state is different as to what is provided to support kids with disabilities and you may find (although it isnt likely) that he may not be eligible for support here - you would need to provide details of his diagnosis and evidence of his inability to participate without support in an educational environment. So, whenever you do come, be sure to bring current assessments of intelligence, adaptive behaviour, skill levels plus any formal diagnosis.

All educational establishments are required, under the Disability Discrimination Act, to ensure that people with disabilities are supported so that they can participate to the best of their ability so even if your son went to TAFE to do an apprenticeship here, then he would receive some kind of support - providing he can find an employer who would be prepared to sponsor him as an apprentice.

I dont know whether trade courses begun in UK have any value when arriving in Aus, you could perhaps check with a TAFE in the area you are proposing to settle in.

There are some folk on this board and others I visit who have been knocked back for a visa because of their child with a disability - if your lad is looking like he wont be a burden on the Australian community and will be an independent living worker then you should be OK.

Were you thinking of him continuing his education here? Every state is different as to what is provided to support kids with disabilities and you may find (although it isnt likely) that he may not be eligible for support here - you would need to provide details of his diagnosis and evidence of his inability to participate without support in an educational environment. So, whenever you do come, be sure to bring current assessments of intelligence, adaptive behaviour, skill levels plus any formal diagnosis.

All educational establishments are required, under the Disability Discrimination Act, to ensure that people with disabilities are supported so that they can participate to the best of their ability so even if your son went to TAFE to do an apprenticeship here, then he would receive some kind of support - providing he can find an employer who would be prepared to sponsor him as an apprentice.

I dont know whether trade courses begun in UK have any value when arriving in Aus, you could perhaps check with a TAFE in the area you are proposing to settle in.

There are some folk on this board and others I visit who have been knocked back for a visa because of their child with a disability - if your lad is looking like he wont be a burden on the Australian community and will be an independent living worker then you should be OK.

Many thanks for your advice it is most useful.

Its good to know that the provisions are there within the education system so lewis can still reach his full potential in Aus. He just needs a little extra help sometimes!

Kind Regards

Archived