Is it really cheaper to live in Queensland than in WA?

Bridgeman

We are currently in WA where we have family and like everyone else finding it expensive to live here. We are pensioners, having come over from the UK 2 years ago to join family. I am aware that the general opinion is that the high cost of living here is due to the mining. We haven't yet bought a house here and we are considering moving to the Redlands area in Queensland where we also have family, but just wondering if the cost of living is really lower over there. Or is it that being more developed you are able to live further out from the city than in WA and therefore live a little more cheaply? On our various visits we have looked at food prices in Coles etc and they seem to be on a par with WA.

Has anyone had experience of living in both places? We are more interested in general living expenses, house prices, electricity, rates etc.

Hi,

I haven't lived in both places but I can tell you that the cost of living QLD is silly expensive as well.

I currently live in the Redlands and we are really struggling as a family of 5 on $100k+super+family assist.

We have cut our spends again and again but are facing the reality of possibly having to leave as more than 6 months has gone by and we are still supplementing our income with our previous savings.

Your situation will be very different to mine so giving you a breakdown of the spends might not help but as food goes, we only shop at Aldi at the moment and can't bring the cost down from $300 per week.

We are currently in WA where we have family and like everyone else finding it expensive to live here. We are pensioners, having come over from the UK 2 years ago to join family. I am aware that the general opinion is that the high cost of living here is due to the mining. We haven't yet bought a house here and we are considering moving to the Redlands area in Queensland where we also have family, but just wondering if the cost of living is really lower over there. Or is it that being more developed you are able to live further out from the city than in WA and therefore live a little more cheaply? On our various visits we have looked at food prices in Coles etc and they seem to be on a par with WA.

Has anyone had experience of living in both places? We are more interested in general living expenses, house prices, electricity, rates etc.

Hi Bridgeman,

We live QLD, Brisbane. We have been renting since we arrived in Aug 2008. We're hoping to be in a position to buy next year. What I can say is that personally for me it's a buyers market at the moment. The houses you'll find will be cheaper in QLD, although there are areas that like W.A. are seen as hot spots and seem to be slightly higher than average. Areas you may wish to consider are Birkdale, Thornside, Wellington point, all relatively close to Redlands, but not as far out. They seems to be somewhat cheaper and have more value for money.

The price for things like utilities, food, petrol etc, have all been increasing steadily over the last few years. The way I see it, is that if you earn in the Dollar and are spending in the dollar, then it's all relative, but agree that it can be a balancing act, especially for us with 3 kids. You may wish to consider renting for a while that way you'll have the luxury of your money earning some additional interest while you see what's out there. Have you considered a retirement village?, there are very modern ones that may suit your budget and allow you a comfortable lifestyle while living in a resort type environment.

Put it this way. If you were looking to buy a 2 bed town house in Subiaco you would be looking at $800K at least. In QLD you would be looking at $300 ish

Put it this way. If you were looking to buy a 2 bed town house in Subiaco you would be looking at $800K at least. In QLD you would be looking at $300 ish

Hardly a direct comparison. A friend lives in a 2 Bed apartment in Newstead - value $1.6M.

There will be cheap and expensive locals for housing in both cities, but for day to day stuff, I don't think there's much difference.

I did Relocations for a few years and helped a couple of familys relocate to QLD from WA they said everything from cars to a loaf of bread was cheaper over this side,, Ive never been to WA so can only go off what these familys said, it was also a couple of years ago and price hikes have happened in both states since then.

Cal x

Archived