Help! Anyone worked on ships and asked for penal clearance?

Mark 1234

Hi,

After 13 months, my partner visa is at the last hurdle: medical, AFP clearance etc, but now my case officer has pulled something new out of the bag. 4 years ago I worked for an American cruise line (on board between 6 & 8 months at a time). The initial letter he sent me said ... "where an applicant has spent 12 months or more working on a merchant ship, cruise ship or oil rig, penal checks are required from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails. Additionally, for these periods, such persons should supply a letter of statement of good conduct from the ship's captain or company attesting to their character."Over those two years, I worked on 15 ships registered in the Bahamas and Panama, under 20 different captains, but never longer than 12 months at a time.

Basically I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem arise. I can't find anything on the Aus Immigration site about it, and in a nutshell, this is an impossible task to achieve as the company do not offer references to employees for fear of you using this to gain employment with a rival, and many of the captains have since retired.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for replying,The application is with the Melbourne office. I only worked for one company (Carnival, and yes, I survived). The ships were mainly registered in Panama, and to get a penal clearance from there you need to have a relative in the country to apply and receive it. I'm hoping the CO will let me pass on this one. There's no way the company will give any form of reference and they won't release details of captains for security reasons. It's a real catch-22 situation. I already have police clearance from three other countries I have lived in.EDIT: There again, I was at sea for 18 months. If that time was split between Panama registered ships and Bahamiam ones, that would equal less then twelve months under each country? Which, now I have checked, is correct.

Have you got your Discharge Book that has all the reports on character and signed by the master on each trip. The log books for the Merchant Navy in UK are handed in when you leave the sea. Also my did not have a passport he had a seaman's licence. If you want information about where you should be looking sign up with shipsnostalgia a merchant marine site members on there know everything about the questions you are asking.

Hi,

After 13 months, my partner visa is at the last hurdle: medical, AFP clearance etc, but now my case officer has pulled something new out of the bag. 4 years ago I worked for an American cruise line (on board between 6 & 8 months at a time). The initial letter he sent me said ... "where an applicant has spent 12 months or more working on a merchant ship, cruise ship or oil rig, penal checks are required from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails. Additionally, for these periods, such persons should supply a letter of statement of good conduct from the ship's captain or company attesting to their character."Over those two years, I worked on 15 ships registered in the Bahamas and Panama, under 20 different captains, but never longer than 12 months at a time.

Basically I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem arise. I can't find anything on the Aus Immigration site about it, and in a nutshell, this is an impossible task to achieve as the company do not offer references to employees for fear of you using this to gain employment with a rival, and many of the captains have since retired.

Thanks in advance.

Should not be a problem at all.

I worked in the Caribbean for a few years ( possibly for the same cruise company as you).The contracts were each less than 12 months and like you, I would not have been able to provide this information.

I did not have any issues with this at all.

Hi Sammy, thanks for that.

I feel a little more confident now. I found a list of which ships were registered to Panama, and which are Bahamian. My contracts work out around 50/50. So that's only 9 months under each flag. Don't think there'll be a problem now:) Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Hi Sammy, thanks for that.

I feel a little more confident now. I found a list of which ships were registered to Panama, and which are Bahamian. My contracts work out around 50/50. So that's only 9 months under each flag. Don't think there'll be a problem now:) Thanks to all for your help and advice.

I just re-read and saw that we did work for the same company :) Good luck and yes please don't worry about it.

Archived