What's the minimum $$$ ?

OZ lander

Hi all

what is the minimum amount we should move to Canberra with? I know Canberra is very expensive and want to make sure we have a cushion for atleast 2 months before we get a job. So what is the minimum bank balance I should move with?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi all

what is the minimum amount we should move to Canberra with? I know Canberra is very expensive and want to make sure we have a cushion for atleast 2 months before we get a job. So what is the minimum bank balance I should move with?

Any advice appreciated!

I've been lucky enough to secure a job before I go and I will be taking $10000 just for starters as will need at least $5000 just for the rental up front fees and i will be using a bike until my wife returns in August with the rest of the money!! Hoping xchange rate is better by then.

If you expect to buy a car then $15-20k especially if you don't have a job lined up. Bear in mind that the average Canberra salary is around $80k and most families are two income so say they are earning around $10kpm ball park. Until recently I lived in Canberra and was very established, no rent/mortgage, cars already bought etc and the two of us paid pretty much everything on the credit card which then got paid off at the end of the month and our monthly expenditure averaged around $5k. We were by no means profligate.

We came out with $15,000. I started work straight away, but it took my OH 3 months. We bought 2 cars for just over $3k between them, but then add rego on that. I'd say about $5k/month is a reasonable figure to work with, especially if you're planning on cycling. Expect to pay 4 weeks' rent deposit. We found that until you're working and earning dollars, your exchanged pounds just drain out of your bank account at (sometimes terrifying) speed, but as soon as dollars are coming in it all settles out again.

Guest Ptp113
Hi all

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

very expensive compared to where?

Thanks everyone! That's helpful!

HSBC is pretty international so will open an account with them and hope to send some money through as soon as the xchange rate is better!

Its good to know that monthly outgoings are around $5k ...we can plan better that way.

And one of those cars Quoll is still travelling well :)

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Board Express

Great! I still miss her although the Astra I bought here is doing her best to worm her way into my heart!