Arrival in Australia - what do I do?

buckbuchanan

Hi. I will be leaving for Australia on Tuesday. Do I have to do anything when I get there?

I have read post saying I don't have to do anything, but I am just a bit worried I have missed something. Do I need any paper work, forms, etc (other than passports).

Thanks for any advice!

So long as you've got your passport and the necessary visa and associated paperwork I don't think you need anything else.

You might need some of your British documents too - driver's licence plus the papers you'd take on any overseas trip.

If you are planning to work it's worth having a written reference from your UK employer and of course you need your proof of being able to work legally in OZ bu that's prob in your visa??? I don't know, I've got an Aussie passport.

Think what docs you'd need if you were coming to the UK.

Only other thing I can think of is making some photocopies of all the relevant docs in case you lose them.

Guest Gollywobbler

What about registering with Medicare, getting a Tax File Number, organising a bank account, sorting out buyingand insuring a car, getting an Australian drivig licence and no doubt a load of other things besides?

Buck, since I've never done it, I am using the thoughts I have seen others describe.

Hopefully, the people living in Oz might be able to give you a ssort of "checklist" of the things to do when you first reach Oz. British Expats, especially, has LOADS of threads about informal checklists of "must-do promptly on arrival."

Have a good trip. Your dparture will be a loss for Petersfield but again for Australia.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Libby1971

Gollywobbler is absolutely right, there is a bit of stuff to do!

If you haven't already done this stuff then you will need:

a Tax File Number - you can't work without it. You can register for one online, I think you need a tel number. We were told to just fill in any number you like as you don't actually need it but if you do know one, all the better.

register with Medicare - at Medicare office, you'll need to take passports adn birth certificates with you.

go to Post Office and sort out ambulance cover

Find a doc who bulk bills - just in case

Driving licence - take yours in with you, with Passport and fill in.

Register with the body overseeing your profession if you have to. We're teachers so we had to register for that. Plumbers, etc all have to get a licence so if you don't have one, get one.

That's all I can think of, although someone else might have other stuff.

Oh bank account! Money, hoe could I forget? If you haven't activated your account, do it quick and get your hands on your hard earned cash

Libby

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi,

Yes as below, lots to organise, but in terms of being at the airport, just your passports with visa's in - we took a copy of the letter confirming our visa but they didn't ask for it. In fact when we went through customs/security they didn't ask anything - the card you need to complete just before you land has an option to select to say that you are emigrating, so you just need to tick that and hand it in at the passport control desk. We just got a stamp in our passports confirming arrival date and that was it - nothing special at all.

But its a great feeling when you get out the other end

Enjoy it

Liz

Guest Scardycat
Hi. I will be leaving for Australia on Tuesday. Do I have to do anything when I get there?

Thanks for any advice!

:yes:Yes!!! enjoy it, soak up the sun, :cool:then post on here to make us all envious:biglaugh:

Have a safe journey, enjoy your new life

Cat

I have read post saying I don't have to do anything, but I am just a bit worried I have missed something. Do I need any paper work, forms, etc (other than passports).

Thanks for any advice!

I just thought about insurance. It MAY be worth taking out a yearly plan?? Australia has a repricocal (how do I spell that word?) agreement regarding medical care. You've got to pay for dental for instance. You need insurance whilst you're travelling even if you are going direct - you could be taken ill en route - and if you're going via USA take out the highest level. See EHIC and health advice for travellers : Department of Health - Policy and guidance for good health advice for travellers.

Do you know what you're doing after you land? Getting from the airport to your accomodation for e.g.?

God, I'm turning into my mum and dad!

Dave

Crikey, that sounds like a lot of hard work! :smile: I'm with Karen, just relax and enjoy it! IMHO there's no desperate hurry to do anything except perhaps phone and arange ambo cover.....the rest will get done in time!

Yours indolently,

LC:wubclub:

PS. I'm sure you know to bring proof of any no-claims bonus? You'll probably want a car pretty promptly, and it should save you a bit of money should you decide to insure it.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Hi

We are heading out on the 29th of Feb so are not that far behind you. Its a lot to take in but I think when we first get there we are taking a couple of weeks just to acclimatise. We will try to get a car in that first 2 weeks though as hire cars are hellishly expensive but other than that we are going to be in holiday mode! After that though we are going to be getting things sorted eg: tax file, medicare etc...

Good Luck with everything

Mandy x

Archived