Becoming a student in QLD.

Jambob1990

So the latest on a long list of ideas to get to Australia is for my partner to go to college in Queensland and do a nursing degree. We would be living with her parents for a while in Brisbane Until I could find a job and she would find a part time job too. the good thing is we have nothing holding us to the uk and we should have a good lump of cash in the bank due to inheritance. I just wondered if anyone on here had moved to Australia as a student looking to make the move permanent in the long run? Any advice would be much appreciated as usual. Oh and we have a 6 month old baby.

We are both English her mother has just got Australian citizenship or will have after the ceremony but has passed the test. It does cost a fortune and like you say the idea would be to move where the jobs are after graduation. We thought doing it there would just be easier because of the support from family.

We are both English her mother has just got Australian citizenship or will have after the ceremony but has passed the test. It does cost a fortune and like you say the idea would be to move where the jobs are after graduation. We thought doing it there would just be easier because of the support from family.

Support of the family.... not the latest idea to get to Australia then? as you mentioned in your first post....

Coming on a student visa, with a baby, it'll financially cripple you, International fees and all. That inheritance will be swallowed up in a blink of an eye. In the Uk you can claim child benefit, family credit, help in all kinds of ways if you need it. Australia will give you no help. A nurse in the UK gets a bursary. She won't get that here. To be honest, it makes no financial sense at all.

Also, when is she going to get time to do part time work whilst training full time as a nurse? not to mention baby, she'll be exhausted!

I hope John Doe sees this post, he has his finger well and truly on the QLD nursing situation. It's not good at the moment, with many redundancies....

A highly relevant thread posted in the last week.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/179049-nursing-qld-current-picture.html

Support of the family.... not the latest idea to get to Australia then? as you mentioned in your first post....

our latest idea not THE latest idea is what I meant...

i agree with you wholly, but her mother is the mastermind this and trying to tell that women anything she doesn't want to hear is near on impossible, she just won't accept that she's wrong.

That's why I just wanted to know if anyone had successfully done it regardless of cost.

Maybe now is the time to assert your authority.... it's not 'no', just 'not now'.

The thing is that cost plays the biggest factor really, unless you are totally loaded, then I guess yes, it can be done regardless of cost.

If it were me though, I'd be thinking of all the house deposit etc you are throwing away on International fees unnecessarily, and for the sake of just three years or so...

Exactly!! That's what I've been saying to my partner all along

There is no guarantee that going to Australia on a Student Visa will even get you PR, the rules are changing a lot and the ones that came across as students are finding it the hardest to be able to get residency.

You understand that you both will only be allowed to work 20hr per week on a student visa.

Many people that have gone over on Student Visas have struggled to get PR.

Archived