Driving licence british

kirkhoffmann

Hi, you don't have to do a driving test, you just produce your British one and the Australian licence is given. I'm not sure when you have to change it by, my wife and I changed it at the earliest opportunity.

RAS.

We never needed it as ID, will only be changing now because we have PR.

You seem to get asked for proof of address alot and they always ask if you 'have a driving licence for photo ID', its just easy to have in your purse rather than carrying paperwork around with you all the time (which id probably lose,lol).

Cal x

You seem to get asked for proof of address alot and they always ask if you 'have a driving licence for photo ID', its just easy to have in your purse rather than carrying paperwork around with you all the time (which id probably lose,lol).

Cal x

And you are supposed to carry ya passport with you if you have a uk licence , or ya can pinged , in WA anyway

I only got my Aussie licence about three weeks ago after five years using my uk licence. The only thing I was ever asked for a licence for was at the chemist to buy decongestants with pseudoephogine (sp) in it. I always gave them my uk one, and never had a problem.

Ohhh and once someone hit my car and I had to go to the police station to report it, they accepted my uk licence no questions asked too.

I did once get pulled over for a licence check as there was no Aussie licence linked to my car Rego. The policeman didn't even look at it, no even at the photo, just said 'ahhhhh, a uk licence, no problem'.

I think five years of licence would have cost me a couple of hundred dollars here. Between me and hubbie I would rather be pulled over once in five years than waste $400.

I only got my Aussie licence about three weeks ago after five years using my uk licence. The only thing I was ever asked for a licence for was at the chemist to buy decongestants with pseudoephogine (sp) in it. I always gave them my uk one, and never had a problem.

Ohhh and once someone hit my car and I had to go to the police station to report it, they accepted my uk licence no questions asked too.

I did once get pulled over for a licence check as there was no Aussie licence linked to my car Rego. The policeman didn't even look at it, no even at the photo, just said 'ahhhhh, a uk licence, no problem'.

I think five years of licence would have cost me a couple of hundred dollars here. Between me and hubbie I would rather be pulled over once in five years than waste $400.

Yep, that

If you don't have to change it, then my advice is don't

On a temporary visa there is no need - there are other easy ways of proving ID and you don't have to pay for the local licence if yo don't bother. Also there are other fringe benefits like demerit points being effectively unimposable.

Yep, that

If you don't have to change it, then my advice is don't

On a temporary visa there is no need - there are other easy ways of proving ID and you don't have to pay for the local licence if yo don't bother. Also there are other fringe benefits like demerit points being effectively unimposable.

Wrong , no demerits until you get pr and have to get a state licence then bang lol

Archived