Childminding in Oz

Callie mum

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, I want to become a childminder when I get to Oz or family day care as they call it. Apart from the certificate in childcare level 3 what else is expected? I'm not a childminder now but have two children and understand the EYFS here in the UK. I have looked at the childcare standards and it all appears to be geared towards the nurserys and not day care.

Can anyone help?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, I want to become a childminder when I get to Oz or family day care as they call it. Apart from the certificate in childcare level 3 what else is expected? I'm not a childminder now but have two children and understand the EYFS here in the UK. I have looked at the childcare standards and it all appears to be geared towards the nurserys and not day care.

Can anyone help?

Each state has different requirements.

If in WA for example, you will need a working with children check card.

If you are renting you will need to gain permission from the landlord to run a business at the house. You will also be visited to determine if your house meets the strict regulations health and safety that govern family daycare.They will be looking at fencing,inside the house etc - basically everything.

Thanks for the replys and the links, they have given me a great deal of info, doesn't look as difficult as it is here to become a childminder. Just need to find a Aus college to study the childcare certificate level 3 online, have emailed one but got no reply!

How rude! Lol x

Thanks for the replys and the links, they have given me a great deal of info, doesn't look as difficult as it is here to become a childminder. Just need to find a Aus college to study the childcare certificate level 3 online, have emailed one but got no reply!

How rude! Lol x

Most TAFES do the course and many online - that won't be difficult at all.

If you are renting you will need to gain permission from the landlord to run a business at the house. You will also be visited to determine if your house meets the strict regulations health and safety that govern family daycare.They will be looking at fencing,inside the house etc - basically everything.

That's a good point. I read (on here most likely) that it can be quite difficult to do in a rental because of getting the permission for everything to be changed. So that's definitely worth thinking about when applying for houses if you are renting.

Where are you moving to?

have look at these websites

http://www.familydaycare.com.au

http://acecqa.gov.au/home/

if you are renting you will need to get permission from your landlord, this is not usually a problem and your scheme may be able to help you.

you will need to find a family day care scheme to join, they will be responsible for ensuring that you and your home complies with regulations.

start with your local council, be careful with the private schemes as there are some dodgy ones around, I worked for a private scheme, they can be good :0)

daycarer.com may be a good place to start if you can join you may be able to ask questions and find a good scheme through them.

Search for owfc One World for Children, they do online courses and Gowrie are the main support and training organisation for Victoria, not sure if they do online but may be worth a phone call.

http://www.gowrievictoria.org.au/

hope this helps and good luck with the move

Karen

Hi, can anyone tell me which UK childcare qualifications are recognised by Australian authorities for family day care worker, as I'm looking at doing the UK ones rather than the Aussie ones ( had no reply from 3 uni's in Aus) plus can't do the work assessment bit as not in Aus.

Thanks

Callie x

Archived