Navigating my way around the great Australian telecom rort -TPG

fleabo

Anyone use TPG Pay as you go?

Does your prepaid credit expire?

As usual with many Aussie Telco's the bumph on the website DOES NOT SAY, and the chick I spoke to in the Phillipines answered the question but not convincingly (she repeated a few of her lines and insisted it was a post-pay system) and she reminded me of Frank Zappa's 'Pick me, I'm clean' track for some reason. :arghh:

Both myself and my wife use TPG sims in our phones. The deal we are on is both contract and PAYG. We pay $17.99 per month (i think) for the contract part which gives us hundreds of $ of 'free' stuff (calls to OZ and UK, texts and data) but they also 'reserve' $20 from our bank account (or credit card if you pay this way) incase you go over you contracted 'free' limit they withdraw the $20 to keep you 'topped up' (this can happed more than once per month if you use your phone lots).

We have never used more than our contracted ammount and never had to phone customer services, so we are both happy with the service. TPG use the Optus mobile cell network so if you struggle getting a signal with Optus it will be the same with TPG.

Hope this helps,

Nick.

Thanks - it sounds like your are on a 'plan' rather than the PAYG thing. I am not a big mobile user (cheapskate jock) and am fed-up with spending $5 a month with optus and am looking for something cheaper where I won't spend $2 if I do happen to make a call. :wink: TPG looks like the deal for me, but I just wanted to check the $20 credit/deposit doesn't mysteriously vanish after 90 days. I'm just off to blow the pilot light out on the gas water heater....

Cheers,

Fleabo

Both myself and my wife use TPG sims in our phones. The deal we are on is both contract and PAYG. We pay $17.99 per month (i think) for the contract part which gives us hundreds of $ of 'free' stuff (calls to OZ and UK, texts and data) but they also 'reserve' $20 from our bank account (or credit card if you pay this way) incase you go over you contracted 'free' limit they withdraw the $20 to keep you 'topped up' (this can happed more than once per month if you use your phone lots).

We have never used more than our contracted ammount and never had to phone customer services, so we are both happy with the service. TPG use the Optus mobile cell network so if you struggle getting a signal with Optus it will be the same with TPG.

Hope this helps,

Nick.

We have PAYG for both our phones, but not with TPG. When my OH was looking in to which provider to sign up with pretty much all of them expired after a certain period. I think the ones we have at the moment we pay $19 and they expire after 90 days. There are others that last longer but the calls cost more. Apparently Virgin have, or had, a long expiry one that last six months or a year or something.

Thanks. The apparent lack of an expiry date is what attracted me to TPG (though the SIM costs $20, and you pay $1 a month for the privilege of having it). But I can't find anything on their T&C's that confirms what the 'lady' on the phone told me about it not expiring...

We have PAYG for both our phones, but not with TPG. When my OH was looking in to which provider to sign up with pretty much all of them expired after a certain period. I think the ones we have at the moment we pay $19 and they expire after 90 days. There are others that last longer but the calls cost more. Apparently Virgin have, or had, a long expiry one that last six months or a year or something.

Archived