Can any one help with Carpenter/Joiner Vetasses

jonnyandk

Hi,

We are new to PomsinOz and would like to ask if anybody could help us with our application to Vetasses. We are at very early stage and just preparing the paperwork and wondering whats invoiced in the practical test.

We have a problem with providing payment evidence and references from the company where my husband carried out his training as they no longer exist. Has anybody else overcome this hurdle, any advice would be really appreciated.

Also, has anybody been through the Carpenter/Joiner test and clues as to whats involved would be a great help. Is there any benefit to doing the Carpenter/Joiner test or is the Carpenter more or less the same.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks.

Hi I applied to do both carpentry and joinery but got advised to just choose one so I choose carpentry. It as no affect on gaining visa just means you only do one test not two. Once in oz you can choose to do either. This is what I did in my carpentry test in London last September.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you for the info and picture, this is really helpful.

How much evidence of previous employment did you have to supply as my husband has been working self employed for the last 20 years. Its a bit difficult proving his trade. Aldo, did you have to sit the IELTS test?

Any info would be really helpful.

Many thanks.

Hi yes I had to sit the ielts test even though I wasn't needing anymore points so I think everyone as to pass this test. I only had to sit the general paper and not the academic paper. As regards employment evidence, I started since I left school 10 years ago and had few companies during that time but where I started as apprentice had shut down and could not obtain any evidence for the two years there. That didn't cause any problems also I was self employed for 3 years and for this I supplied tax returns, accounts, customer references. You have to write a self employed statutory declaration which you take to the solicitors and swear on the bible that it is true. They sign and you submit that. It's quite a long document about all aspects of the work you did and in detail how you did it. Inc what tools used etc. if you pm me your email I can email what I wrote for reference.

The Chippie test is easy, I had to do the Joiner test, remember Carpenters hide they work behind plasterboard, So Chippies are allowed a tolerance of 1" and Joiners generally work to a tolerance of + or - 1mm

:wink:

Ha !! I jest of course (no not really, I have seen some hideous work before on stud walls), as long as the person is competent at their trade and can use the tools in a safe manner then there is no issue. If you use the search box on this site for 'Joiner Vetessess' or 'Carpenter Vetassess' then you should find all you need to know (for what is involved in the practice exam)

Hi, hubby and I are at the same stage, gathering the paperwork :( think I have it all now, just waiting on some references and we can get it sent off. He's decided to do the web-cam interview as he thinks he'll be able to sell himself better. We own our own Timber Frame Construction Company so have had the same issues with people he's worked for, but luckily have 8 yrs P60's. Decided to do this as work here in the UK was really slowing down....now that we have signed up with Global Visas the bloody phone not stopped ringing lol...also got 3 kids, 13/10/6 and a puppy to take, dreading packing up the house but looking forward to going :)

Hi, Thanks for your reply. The web-cam interview sounds interesting, I didn't realise that this was an option. Unfortunately we are not able to afford an agent so I'm trying to put everything together myself. I must admit i'm finding it difficult. As I understand it the first thing we need to do is prove my OH trade which isn't easy and for him to pass the IELTS test. As he is 41 I think he'll need to score an 8 for the extra points. Please let me know if I should be doing it differently. Also, we have 2 daughters aged 15 and 17 so we need to look in to how they can continue their education. There is so much to consider!

Pm sent to Ann

Hi, hubby and I are at the same stage, gathering the paperwork :( think I have it all now, just waiting on some references and we can get it sent off. He's decided to do the web-cam interview as he thinks he'll be able to sell himself better. We own our own Timber Frame Construction Company so have had the same issues with people he's worked for, but luckily have 8 yrs P60's. Decided to do this as work here in the UK was really slowing down....now that we have signed up with Global Visas the bloody phone not stopped ringing lol...also got 3 kids, 13/10/6 and a puppy to take, dreading packing up the house but looking forward to going :)

Morning, Leigh (hubby) is 43 so he has to get a 8+ for his points, think its terrible that your born and bred in the uk and you have to sit a test to prove it, understand the reasoning if your not English. We bought the IELTS Book 8 and he has been doing test papers, the stuff they mark you wrong for is unbelievable.

Looks as if he will have to get his hammer & chisel out and do the practical test if the interview only for rural.

I have spent the past couple of days getting his work declaration typed up, looks quite good. Will go and get everything certified by the solicitor on Monday and hopefully his references will have turned up by then and we can get it all sent off, and get the work assessment over and done with, will feel as if we have taken a step closer then :biggrin:.

Getting the house in order for valuation, told the kids that if it not been played with since xmas, it gets sold...all proceeds go in my big box with Australia on it.

Don't know where you are based, but we are going to an Expo in Manchester on 23rd March, hopefully get a few pointers there.

Hope your progressing ok xx Ann

Morning, Leigh (hubby) is 43 so he has to get a 8+ for his points, think its terrible that your born and bred in the uk and you have to sit a test to prove it, understand the reasoning if your not English. We bought the IELTS Book 8 and he has been doing test papers, the stuff they mark you wrong for is unbelievable.

Looks as if he will have to get his hammer & chisel out and do the practical test if the interview only for rural.

I have spent the past couple of days getting his work declaration typed up, looks quite good. Will go and get everything certified by the solicitor on Monday and hopefully his references will have turned up by then and we can get it all sent off, and get the work assessment over and done with, will feel as if we have taken a step closer then :biggrin:.

Getting the house in order for valuation, told the kids that if it not been played with since xmas, it gets sold...all proceeds go in my big box with Australia on it.

Don't know where you are based, but we are going to an Expo in Manchester on 23rd March, hopefully get a few pointers there.

Hope your progressing ok xx Ann

Hello wish you well I have just gone through the whole proceeds has take about a 18 months have done the dreaded ielts to obtain the score I had to go round the uk 5 times in order to gain my points required 43 also

It can be done and the practical test is straight forward the instructors are really helpful and want you to pass they want the best for you

With regards to work experience the more you have the better you will need his city and guilds certificates which copies can be obtained but can be a lengthy wait.Track down his either former boss or foreman and get a declaration done in regards to that your husband served his time and was supervised for a year after his time was finished.

PM me i have a draft copy of the declaration from my agent I can send you

We have gone though a lot to get to where we are and still not got the visa ,but hopefully fingers crossed it will be here soon.

My wife is pregnant and we have sold the house and only three weeks left in it before we need to be out so nerves times

Hopefully it will al be worth it if you require any info pm me i will help you

take care

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi I applied to do both carpentry and joinery but got advised to just choose one so I choose carpentry. It as no affect on gaining visa just means you only do one test not two. Once in oz you can choose to do either. This is what I did in my carpentry test in London last September.

Hi Craig,

My OH has got his carpentry test in a few weeks and the picture you have posted has given a good insight. Can you tell me what other type of stuff you had to do on the day please? He also applied for Joiner/Carpenter but was advised to do just the Carpenter side of things so our situations are pretty similar.

Thanks in advance,

​Elaine

Hi Craig,

My OH has got his carpentry test in a few weeks and the picture you have posted has given a good insight. Can you tell me what other type of stuff you had to do on the day please? He also applied for Joiner/Carpenter but was advised to do just the Carpenter side of things so our situations are pretty similar.

Thanks in advance,

​Elaine

Hi Craig,

Thanks in advance,

​Elaine

Hi, pratical wise it was just what's in the picture. No saw horse just the roof. The technical interview you have to do on the day was very in depth lots of question's about excavations (civil engineering work) and building setting out. Asked questions about types of concrete and finishes. Also lots of health an safety questions other than that the rest was pretty much trade related. Hope it all goes ok.

Hi Craig

Thank you for the information you have put on about the practical.

Could you let me know do the examiners give you a degree or height to use to build the roof or can you simply use your tape measure for all the cuts.

Your comments would be really appreciated.

Hi they give you a scale drawing which you work out the degree from that. You have to draw the roof out on plywood first to show you can set the angles out. The degree is 36.7 so I did a 37 degree pitch which was fine. You could also do 36 which is also ok.

Hi Craig

Sorry for all the questions but the husband is starting to panick a bit.

He is a self employed carpenter who has had no training but has self learnt and has a very successful business, however like many carpenters in this country he doesn't do many roofs and when he does he uses angle finders and tape measures to calculate how long and how high.

But now we are starting to panick because he doesn't know how to use the roofing reckoner metric book to find the angles and lengths. Is this the only way he can do the roof or are the examiners not bothered how you get there as long as you produce what they have asked for?

Hi Craig

Sorry for all the questions but the husband is starting to panick a bit.

He is a self employed carpenter who has had no training but has self learnt and has a very successful business, however like many carpenters in this country he doesn't do many roofs and when he does he uses angle finders and tape measures to calculate how long and how high.

But now we are starting to panick because he doesn't know how to use the roofing reckoner metric book to find the angles and lengths. Is this the only way he can do the roof or are the examiners not bothered how you get there as long as you produce what they have asked for?

Hi family of 4, soz for butting in , i have also done the practical test its very easy there was a guy on my course who had not done a roof before and he done well its nothing to worry about, if you feel better watch it on you tube to get a little idea, also does he have certs etc to say he is a time served carpenter? ( soz hope this dosent sound rude )

Hi Agibb83, you are not being rude. He doesn't have any certs but we have passed the first section with a level 1 and he is due to do the practical soon.

It is because there is so much talk about using the roofing book which he doesn't use, he uses angle finder and tape measure.

Hi Agibb83, you are not being rude. He doesn't have any certs but we have passed the first section with a level 1 and he is due to do the practical soon.

It is because there is so much talk about using the roofing book which he doesn't use, he uses angle finder and tape measure.

Hi again, i also never use angles or do roofs, but honest its easy, i did however buy a roofing square, small one to fit in the toolbox, very handy so it was, if he wants to know anything just ask or he can contact me by email gibbi206@hotmail.co.uk cheers alan

Archived