Registration as a midwife and ielts

midwife2005

Hi,

We recently activated our visa in Perth and that is where we want to settle. We are hoping to make the move in about 12 months. I obviously haven't registered as a midwife yet, but have just being doing some research. Ielts is one of the requirements for registration, which I completed and passed in April 2011. Does Ielts only last for two years? If this is the case does that mean it will expire in April 2013 and therefore I have to do it again for registration purposes?? Not very happy if this is the case!

Thanks

Jen x

That may be ok then but you prob need to check with APHRA. Just out of curiosity why didnt you register with them when you got positive kills assessment? I know as an RGN Im doing ANMAC but will shortly sort AHPRA too. I know they need you to present at one of their offices within a year of initial registration bit like visa requirement

Nicola

The reason I didn't register with APHRA straight away after the skills assessment is because our timescales were different at that point. Before our Reccie we were looking to move over in about 3 years time, but after visiting we decided that we didn't want to wait that long. Will have to contact APHRA to see where I stand. Thanks for replying btw.

jen x

Hi I have just applied to sit the IELTS, the information ive read says its valid for 3 years. Having said that, I applied for registration with AHPRA last August with a view to going out on a temporary 457 visa. Registration in principle was granted pending a visa. I didn;t need to sit the IELTS for the registration so long as I could prove that I had studied and been assessed using the Enlish Language for a period of 5 years. Therfore, a letter from your high school stating that you attended for 5 years and was taught and assessed using the English Language would be sufficient. Or if your high school no longer exists then a letter from your further education and tertiary education would suffice. I am currently only needing to sit the IELTS because i have decided to go down the skilled migration route (from 2009 everbody applying for a skilled migration visa needs to sit the test). If you have already got your visas then you shouldn't need to sit the exam. Thats my understanding of it anyway, hope this makes sense :)

"Does Ielts only last for two years? If this is the case does that mean it will expire in April 2013 and therefore I have to do it again for registration purposes??"

Hi midwife2005,

As far as I know, you do not need to take the exam again once you can prove that you've been in a continuous English speaking environment employment during these 2 years....I might be wrong, but I'm in doubt...anyway, please post the AHPRA answer if you are going to make this inquiry...it could be useful for others being in the same boat...thx and best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Got this reply from AHPRA

Thank you for your online enquiry.

It is recommended that you apply for registration a few months before you plan to work, however all applications are assessed on a case by case basis and we are unable to guarantee a time frame.

Please be advised that there are exemptions granted to those who have completed 5 years of full-time secondary and tertiary education in English in an approved country. Please see the attached English standard for further information. If the country you completed your studies in is not listed in the English Standard you will be required to complete either the IELTS or OET. You must receive at least a 7 in each category in the Academic IELTs. Alternatively complete the Occupational English Test (OET) with an overall pass and with grades A or B only, in each of the four components of listening, reading, writing and speaking.

Please do not respond to this email as the account is not monitored. A service request has been logged for this enquiry.

If you have any further questions, please call AHPRA on 1300 419 495. Alternatively, please follow the web enquiry link, ensuring you include the service request number in your enquiry.

Kind Regards,

AHPRA Customer Service Team

Archived