Francis Report

ali

Guest chris955

I know what you mean, my wife fainted 3 times while in hospital after giving birth to our twins but was still sent home that day. It does seem to be case of getting you out as soon as possible.

I do remember the good ones too though, as i said - most of them were lovely and good banter too.

I think i just remember the bad experience more because one of the nurses was determined that i was going home and said i should phone dave to pick me up now. I had only just been given my sandwich and water after fasting all day. I got up and started getting ready and ended up being violently sick and dizzy. One of the other nurses told me to go back into bed and lie down till i was better.

Maybe the other nurse just wanted to clean my bed as that ward was apparently closing - was just for daytime surgery. Anybody whos staying overnight gets moved to another ward. Would still of been nice for ME to make the decision wether i was feeling well enough to go home

wow, 8 trained nurses, the 90s sounds good! you think it would get better as time went on not worse! its sad and such a disappointment when it has the potential to be brilliant...

It was only on that ward! The others weren't great, but better than now.

I have to say we had a fantastic experience when our daughter, aged two weeks ended up on ITU. The nurses and drs were brilliant (despite one cutting the end of our daughter's finger off when she was cutting her nails!). They treated us as her parents, not just a dr and nurse who happened to have an ill child. They explained everything in detail which was necessary as our minds were not on being professionals! They had time for us all, including my Mum who had come to help and the care they gave was wonderful. I hope it's still the same now.

Good luck tonight, Lorna. I won't say 'I hope it's quiet', cos we all know what that does.... :wink:

I know what you mean, my wife fainted 3 times while in hospital after giving birth to our twins but was still sent home that day. It does seem to be case of getting you out as soon as possible.

I was supposed to be leaving that night anyway so what would of even half an hour mattered? I hadnt had a General anaesthetic since i was little and it certainly didnt agree with me lol. So i wasnt to happy about that especially after staying from 8am to 4.30pm the previous day waiting for a operation that was never going to happen! Could of screamed at someone, not the nurses though lol just my surgeon.

Being a nurse in the NHS, I feel I am in a good position to comment here...

The findings of that report are nothing short of awful. Unfortunatly, compassion and caring are not things you can teach. I believe you either care or you don't. I do care, very much so for all the patients I look after. However, we are told week after week in our team meetings we don't meet this target, we don't meet that target. For every patient I see (I work in the community), there are reams and reams of computer work that follows!!! I am not joking. The red tape prevents us from doing our jobs. I would much rather be out and about visiting my patients and providing hands on care and a listening ear. I went to uni for three years to do nursing, only to be told how to read the recipe book every day!! The paperwork combined with lack of staff makes the job ten times harder. For me the solution is simple- less paperwork and more staff. I know you will always get crap nurses that don't care, but i believe most of us do and do the best we can with the resources we have. But what do the government do- more inspections!!! We know what the bloody problem is, so how's about focusing on that for a change!!! Rant over....

Have had good experiences of the NHS personally over the years but also bad ones. When it works well, its brilliant. When things are not working, trying to get anything done is horrendous and you're passed from pillar to post in a huge bureaucracy, with arse covering extrordinaire the name of the game.

To an extent the more fuss you make, the better care you get, particularly when it comes to elderly care, which is not the way it should be.

Without going into huge detail. an elderly relative of mine was in and out of hospital last year & literally the whole family had to be on hospital watch 24x7 for months on end in order to get the staff to really buy into, and drive the whole process of care, even to get them to invest any effort at all on a daily level into getting the person the best chance of recovery. Some nurses were great, amazing even. Many clearly didn't give a **** or take their jobs at all seriously.

The quality of staff in the care home was even worse but this is what you get when you basically pay £6 an hour to pretty much completely unskilled & unqualified bored 17 year olds with no interest in care as a vocation and no career path offered - you get the most dreadful situations arising - i witnessed first hand.

If the family hadnt been super close to the situation the person in question i have no doubt, would have been neglected and died very quickly.

So many old folk fall through the cracks in the system, and it's been like this for years.

It must be absolutely horrendous for those without advocates or close family to assist and ask the right questions - of the right people- often its a death sentence in many hospitals if you are admitted aged 80+ and it really doesnt need to be.

Archived