our dog vaccinated against leptospirosis

dredg97

Hi all,

no matter how much information you get, no matter how careful you are...I recommended my vet not to vaccine our dog against leptospirosis but just against advenovirus, parvovirus, distemper, bordetella bronchiseptica and parainfluenza...but when I got home and made some research on the Eurican Epta I found this covers also leptospirosis!! :arghh:

To make things even worse, we are just 3 months before the big move!!

I already contacted the pet relocation company, and also the government authorised laboratory, in order to understand what we can do...

Totally disappointed, I will leave this Saturday for Perth, moving alone first, trying to secure a job, a rental, so happy I was sorting out everything before leaving...so my wife, babies and our dog could join me in 2-3 months, and now we're not even sure our miniature pinscher will make it!

I'm trying to arrange a plan B, probably our dog will be re-tested, and re-tested, until it will show a negative result. If we will be already in Australia by that time, we can leave our dog with my wife's parents, they could manage the blood sampling and the last arrangement, so that our dog will join us at a later stage (we are in the process to request the AQIS permit, it should arrive by the 20th of February, and should stay valid until mid of August).

So stressed, arranging job interviews (I had one over the phone a few minutes ago and it's 0:44 here in Italy), pet relocation, removalists...and this upcoming trip to Perth leaving my family for 2-3 months...

Thanks for reading...

OK, calm down. Our dog had actually picked it up somewhere. What they do is look at the count at the first test. Then they re-test them. As long as it hasn't gone up you are fine. Stressful, but should be fine as it was only a vaccine and not an actual infection.

That's really annoying and will send your stress levels through the roof. Have you spoken to your vet about it? Does he/she accept any responsibility for it? There's not a lot you can do about it other than retesting, but you can't make the antibodies go away. Different dogs produce different levels of antibodies and you wont know until you've tested whether yours is one of the ones who produced a lot or a little. It's going to be a frustrating and stressful wait for you. :hug: I hope it's sorted soon.

Ditto, although exactly the same, one of my dogs passed first time and the other didn't, they then test again and as long as it hasnt gone up, ie the same or lower, the dog will pass, however, it's one additional thing you dont want to have to worry about at a time when you have some many worries

Cal

Archived