First of many

GKJ

Hey PomzinOz people,

Gill here, first (introductory) post....of many I hope. Getting straight into it we've decided to do it, that is emigrate to Australia :) It took a few years to decide but given the current economic circumstances we feel now is the right time. So hubby is a welder 31 and I'm in media 33, two children 9&2, one cat (neutered), no debts and lots of optimism :) Given the fact that carting my family around the world is a huge fete in itself, we have given ourselves a year or so to get there....reading post on here, tell's me it can be a long and arduous process.

So here's the thing......where to start with the 457 visa? Do we go directly to employer (not as yet) Do we need to go through an Australian based agency? Do we need a migration agent? Do we ourselves apply for the visa or does the employer? Please excuse my ignorance, everyone has to start at the beginning :)

So just looking for general information right now, putting the puzzle pieces together so to speak. We know its going to be a long ride, but good things come to those who wait. :)

:biggrin:

You need to find a sponsor first, no sponsor no visa. The sponsor apply to be a sponsor and then you apply for your part. Some employers will do the whole thing for you, ours did.

Lucky you Northenbird, and thanks for a quick reply! :)

So it's just a matter of finding the right employer who would sponsor him. Great. Seems easy enough. Do they carry out the paper work or do we?

Lucky you Northenbird, and thanks for a quick reply! :)

So it's just a matter of finding the right employer who would sponsor him. Great. Seems easy enough. Do they carry out the paper work or do we?

The sponsor has to be approved as a sponsor by Immigration, they obviously do all that paperwork. Once you are offered a job by said sponsor you then have to apply for your part of the visa. You can do this yourself or as I said earlier my husband employer completed it for us.

Hey PomzinOz people,

Gill here, first (introductory) post....of many I hope. Getting straight into it we've decided to do it, that is emigrate to Australia :) It took a few years to decide but given the current economic circumstances we feel now is the right time. So hubby is a welder 31 and I'm in media 33, two children 9&2, one cat (neutered), no debts and lots of optimism :) Given the fact that carting my family around the world is a huge fete in itself, we have given ourselves a year or so to get there....reading post on here, tell's me it can be a long and arduous process.

So here's the thing......where to start with the 457 visa? Do we go directly to employer (not as yet) Do we need to go through an Australian based agency? Do we need a migration agent? Do we ourselves apply for the visa or does the employer? Please excuse my ignorance, everyone has to start at the beginning :)

So just looking for general information right now, putting the puzzle pieces together so to speak. We know its going to be a long ride, but good things come to those who wait. :)

:biggrin:

If you are looking to migrate, then the 457 is not necessarily the best visa. In fact it isn't at all, it is more of a work permit, it is temporary, leaves you dependent upon the employer and in any case, not that common for tradies to secure one anyway.

You would be much better off looking into skilled migration, this is the 189 or 190 visas which you can read about on www.immi.gov.au. I believe that your OH would qualify as a welder. It is a harder process but if you break it down into step by step chunks it becomes more manageable. Whether you use an agent or go it alone is a personal choice.

Edited by Rupert

Thanks guys,

The more info the better. I was under the impression that we couldn't get a skilled migration visa due to being parents. I know the Immi change their policies every so often so maybe that has changed also. + factoring into the equation that we would need in excess of say 50K for that visa, to prove we have the funds to stay. While this is not a problem, per sey, we would rather a direct route via an employer. Also on the 457 I would be entitled to take up work or study, which is a bonus. Im not sure if I can on the SM. Please correct me if I'm wrong, thats why I'm here after all. On the + side, there are a few employers seeking tradies on a 457, in fact he applied for his first post last night :) the first step into the unknown.

On a second note........I'm positive that the immi website is specially designed to be confusing. I'm trawling through it slowly but surley. Thanks again for all your help guys, keep it up :)

Gill.

I was under the impression that we couldn't get a skilled migration visa due to being parents.

I think you're a bit confused. It's the WHV visa that's a bit iffy if you are parents - in that you can't travel to Australia with children if you have a WHV. A skilled migration visa definitely doesn't have that restriction.

Also on the 457 I would be entitled to take up work or study, which is a bonus. Im not sure if I can on the SM. Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Err - you're wrong. A skilled migration visa is the pinnacle of visas. It's permanent and allows you (and your partner and dependents) complete freedom to work for any employer. You can also get some benefits - assistance with childcare and the like.

Conversely - a 457 visa is temporary, you're tied to the employer and you get zero benefits.

I know which one I'd rather have..

Edited by NickyNook

Guest guest79615

alot of people slate the 457 but for me its perfect, no kids, love the uk, plan to return after couple of years, no mortgage, not giving anything up, can return to uk anytime easily enough, and on a career break...for you however i think you should take the advice of those on above posts, i dont think 457 would be best route to take...take time and read throught the site and other resources, there is lots of great info and you will find right decision to suit your famly circumstances

Thanks guys,

The more info the better. I was under the impression that we couldn't get a skilled migration visa due to being parents. I know the Immi change their policies every so often so maybe that has changed also. + factoring into the equation that we would need in excess of say 50K for that visa, to prove we have the funds to stay. While this is not a problem, per sey, we would rather a direct route via an employer. Also on the 457 I would be entitled to take up work or study, which is a bonus. Im not sure if I can on the SM. Please correct me if I'm wrong, thats why I'm here after all. On the + side, there are a few employers seeking tradies on a 457, in fact he applied for his first post last night :) the first step into the unknown.

On a second note........I'm positive that the immi website is specially designed to be confusing. I'm trawling through it slowly but surley. Thanks again for all your help guys, keep it up :)

Gill.

If you study on a 457 visa - you would be considered as an International student - and have to pay international fees.

Also some states you will have to pay schools fees if you are on a 457 visa, which is around $5000 per child, and there is no family assistance on this type of visa.

Secondary applicants on 457 visa can sometimes struggle to find work as their visa is linked to their partner remaining in their sponsored employment.

The main concern with the 457 visa is as what other members have stated if you lose or leave your job you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave Australia .

I am not sure where you have seen the 50K for the visa?? ($5k for WHV?) TO get State nomination for a 190 visa you are required to state that you will have enough funds to settle in Australia. For a family of 4 would be about $35 - 40K, most states you dont have to provide proof of this but say where the money is coming from - I.e. house sale, savings.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Have a look through he Skill Select page, the 189 and 190 visa would be the best ones for you.

You dont need to use an Registered Migration Agent, but always best to speak to one at the start to make sure that you wold qualify, but if you feel you cant manage the process yourselves using a good registered migration agent, would help you secure your visa.

Personally I would never migrate to Australia on a 457 visa with children, you dont know what the employer is going to be like when you get there.

Edited by lebourvellec

Thanks so much Lorna & Lebour,

I obviously had my wires crossed or visas crossed as the case may be :) The immi sight, is giving me the options for

The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) subclass 186,

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) subclass 187,

The skilled independant subclass 189,

We would prefer the most secure route, which that is yet im not sure. skilled ind would be the easiest at this stage I think. Here's another question though... Is there a cap on the amount of migrants Au let in each year. I ask because the skills select ask you to submit an expression of interest for the visa, have you guys got any idea how long this takes? Again I'm not sure which is the best route for us to take yet, but I'm glad for the careful and helpful info form you guys :)

Gill :)

Really depends what you mean by security.

The 189 or 190 may not give you a job but you have the security that you can work anywhere in Australia, can move jobs when you want (get better job, higher salary etc), and if you lose your job you dont have to leave the country.

The Employer nominated positions, dont give you job security as you can still lose your job in the same way. The 187 RSMS for example you are required to work for the sponsor for 2 years in Regional Australia, you could end up in a part of Australia that you and your children are not happy in, and if you leave your job before the 2 years there could be a chance that you could lose the visa too.

For both employer sponsored visas you require a sponsor, with a trade occupation like your husbands it is not easy to find, would need a skills assessment for 186 and possibly for 187.

For an expression of interest to be active you would require a positive skills assessment and likely IELTS (for extra points for the 189 and 190).

The government wants people to lodge EOI so employers can look through everyone and find people to sponsor, but as of yet I have not heard of anyone finding a sponsor this way.

Employer sponsored visas are longer to process than Skilled migration ones.

After years of researching these Visa's and having 3 children my 1st choice would be a 189 Visa, After this a 190 Visa.

I definately wouldnt emigrate with children on a temporary Visa, Of course it works for most people however after allowing my children to settle in new homes and schools I wouldnt take the risk. If youve taken a points test and can secure enough points for a 189 go down this route!

Thanks a million guys,

You've really helped me a lot. We're thinking 189. Your right jac, I don't want to settle then uproot or indeed find myself in a position that the children are unhappy. The choices are difficult enough without having the added worry of unhappy family.......which is still possible, who knows when we get there.

Lebour, Can I ask what an IELTS is... we are under the impression (which has been wrong all along :) ) That he would require to get his skill asses with TRA. Has anyone got some insight on this aspect. Does it take place where he works or another place..... maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here. Also do we need to pass an English proficiency test, being from English speaking countries (BTW my hubby is British if that makes a diffrence) Do we need to get tested?

I'm really sorry guys if this is all basic, run of the mill stuff but to me its all so...confusing, which really gets me to thinking a migration agent would be better, No?

Have you done the points test? You will see one section asks for your proficiency in English and asks what level you are at 6/7/8 and so forth. The IELTS test is just that, it costs approx £120 is an academic exam that can be sat in many institute's around the country. In my case I need to get a level 8 to get an extra 20 points on my 189 application.

If you google 189 points test you should be able to get an idea of how many points you can get. I think the minimum for Expression of Interest (EOI) is 60 points but the more points you can get the quicker you get picked from the bunch! For example I think, but dont quote me people with say 70 points would pretty much be likely to be picked in the same month. I think for myself, I am working on the basis of getting 65 points.

The IELTS isnt neccesarily for your partners skills assessment this is seperate.

PS Gill, Migration experts can be fantastic if you dont have much time to find the information, fill in the forms or are unclear of what route to take. They are also fantastic in cases that are complex however your case doesn't seem to be too tricky and I think the costs of a migration expert are approximately £2000 upwards. If you have the spare cash and like the ease of getting someone to do all the running about then this is a decision only you can make. However, there are plenty of people on this site that can help you with the process.

jac.....AHHH ok got ya......and so the rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper. I'll definitely look further into the IELTS and points test. The basic on on the immi site gives him 60+. I thought thats all he needs....but the more points the better. So maybe its wise to do the test. Does anyone have an idea if this is solely for UK residents or is there a place in Ire that you can take the test.?

Gill

I googled IELTS and Nottingham (my city) and all the results popped up and I could log onto my local centre and see when the tests were being held. Theres loads of info on here regarding the IELTS if you do a quick search. For approx £120 it seems a drop in the ocean compared to the total cost of emigrating so may be worth doing but that decision is up to you. The test is apparently quite simple however only if you are aware of the format and questions and its recommended to do some prior revision.

You would only need to sit the general IELTS test. TRA is for the skills assessment and separate from the English test.

If you can meet the passmark without the IELTS, having a UK/ROI passport will satisfy competent English. ,

Going by your OH age, if he goes for 190, and has 8 years of work experience, (depending on qualifications, also if he did apprenticeship - these 5 years which usually can not be used for work experience), meeting the 60 pass mark he could get away with not doing the IELTS.

But definitely speak to a Registered Migration Agent first.

Great stuff guys,

Will definitely be speaking to an reg'd agent. Thanks for all the help and good information. I will pop back in a few days with a few more questions, in the mean time I'll continue to stalk the site for answers.

Cheers again,

:hug: