Anyone Used Plastic Wrap in their Containers?

Tazzamaraz

Hi,

I'm thinking about packing my own container as it seems a huge saving.

The removal companies I have spoken to state not to use plastic because of 'sweating'. Bubble wrap seems the easiest way to wrap things though and I wanted to use vacuum bags too. I was thinking about putting some silica gel sachets.

Just wondering if anyone has used plastic and it's been OK or if anyone has had any bad experiences or if it is just one of those things that companies put out there to encourage you to use their packing service. I saw a family on Wanted Down Under the other day and they had everything wrapped in bubble wrap in their container.

Thanks

I wrapped a lot myself and used bubble wrap plus wrapped a CD rack complete with CDS in cling film or glad wrap as its called in Oz -had no problems at all

Used the striped canvas bags that everyone in the UK uses for fag runs LOL for bedding etc

Nothing was mouldy and passed through Aussie customs ok

All our items were wrapped in paper, we too were advised about wrapping things in plastic. I guess it's down to you if you use plastic and what risk there is to that - I guess check with the insurers if it has to be wrapped in certain materials (so as not to invalidate)

Guest Guest62720

Using plastic sheeting to wrap items will retain any moisture, either within the actual item being wrapped or within the surrounds of the item itself which, due to the various temperature fluctuations during the course of the transit, could cause the item/packaging to 'sweat'. As the moisture cannot escape it will cause damage to the item usually resulting in mould forming.

Bubble wrap has a cushion of air therefore allows any moisture to dissipate.

Hence this is one reason why the removers do not use plastic to wrap goods but paper sheets ir bubble wrap. If you want to pack your own goods/container then do seek advice from the removers as to what materials to use and not to use - they are meant to be the experts.

You can still get your goods insured if you pack them yourselves but the following standard Clause will apply :

Excluding breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining and tearing of owner packed effects, including trunks suitcases and the like. Excluding claims for missing items unless an itemised list is provided to Insurers prior to the commencement of the transit. Loss arising from mould or mildew is excluded.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I have 1500+ blu ray collection im taking with me,i have them in really usefull boxes,approx 90 of these boxes as they store approx 20 in each box they are strong and protect them inside well,now my questions is i was going to cling film each one or two together is this ok?I know and it could happen some of these boxes could go missing,or even some blu rays out of some of the 90 boxes,i thought using cling/pallet type cling to wrap them so its harder for them to or anyone to go through them,would this be a good idea,would customs need to see in all these 90 boxes,im wondering when it comes to cds and games console games how did they get packed as well as blu rays/dvds etc

Our house was professionally packed with paper but had quite a few bags of baby clothes in vacuum bags, they were all fine and I was never told I shouldn't use them. I think if the items are 100% dry when you wrap them you will be alright. I had a few traces of moisture and dried food on some kitchen items which grew mold even though they were in paper so be careful as the container does get very hot.

Archived