Using cars to increase the money you can bring to Aus? Surely not this easy?

CrozierFamily

I presume once you are here there is no way to buy a car in the UK and import it over, or get your parents to buy the car keep it for 12 months then ship it to you as your own.

Unfortunately not. The person importing needs to have owned & used the car outside Aust for 12 months.

Yes I seen those comparisons also and wondered. We own our two cars over 12mths but will they sell easy?

Depends what they are. If they are models original available in Aust, then it should not be a problem. Others such as hatchbacks with small diesel engines may be more difficult as thay type of car was not widely sold in Aust.

Hi

I am hoping someone can point out a flaw in my logic someplace, please help!

I am thinking about how to transfer my £ equity to Australia to get the best deal I can. The exchange rate is not great, so I was thinking of alternatives.

What I have noticed is that the price of some cars in Australia is very high, compared to the UK. An example I have is a friend of mine who is currently selling a car in the UK for £17k. In Aus I have found the exact same car for sale at around £45k. Now I know shipping and taxes at will eat up maybe £5k, but still that is a double your money scenario.

I am thinking that instead of transferring cash, I purchase vehicles I know are worth a lot of money in Aus and ship them. Then convert the value in Australia.

There must be some flaw to my cunning plan, or surely everyone would do this, does anyone know what the flaw is?

Cheers,

Andrew

There are heaps of posts in the transport section of PIO on this subject. In summary

To import a car to Aust you need import approval. One Approval per 5 years

To get import approval you must have owned & used the car for 12 months (Except for pre 1989 vehicles)

You must also have the right to reside permanently in Aust, or a visa that can convert to PR such as 457. Tourist visa is non starter.

On arrival in Aust the car will be subject to Duty & GST but buy carefully & there can still be a 25% profit or higher.

There will also be the cost of local compliance & registration.

There is no time restriction on selling, once its here. You can sell it straight away.

There is a great post by Kakimoto33 (from Iron Lady) about how to buy to maximise profit.. It is post #1055 on the following thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know-106.html

The info on the pre 1989 scheme can be found here:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pre1989scheme.aspx

Edited by KZ1

you need to own for 12 months before applying to bring it in, then once permission is granted you can ship it. you will get hit with a load of tax and registration, spraying etc.. but if your car is worth anything they will then hit you with a luxury car tax on top of all the mods you need to do. You really need to do your homework to make sure what your taking will make a profit. I will say it is probably worth it if you want to keep it. The cars here not only are expensive but there massive high milages for the same money so if you bring in a low miler it will hold its value and you can sell on 2 years later for the same money or even more.

Vintage/classic cars are the best but not as popular over here - they like new everything mostly

you need to own for 12 months before applying to bring it in, then once permission is granted you can ship it. you will get hit with a load of tax and registration, spraying etc.. but if your car is worth anything they will then hit you with a luxury car tax on top of all the mods you need to do. You really need to do your homework to make sure what your taking will make a profit. I will say it is probably worth it if you want to keep it. The cars here not only are expensive but there massive high milages for the same money so if you bring in a low miler it will hold its value and you can sell on 2 years later for the same money or even more.

Vintage/classic cars are the best but not as popular over here - they like new everything mostly

you need to own for 12 months before applying to bring it in

Technically you can apply before the 12 months has expired, but approval will not be granted to ship until 12 month

you will get hit with a load of tax

In the overall scheme of things the tax is not that much. You can still make 25%+ on importing a car.

but if your car is worth anything they will then hit you with a luxury car tax

LCT threshold is over $75,000. To get an Aust valuation over that you would have need to pay £75k+ for the vehicle

all the mods you need to do

Our car needed no modification whatsoever.

• 1 month later...
Hi Andrew I'm sure you need to have owned the car 12 months, but if you happen to own a Golf give me a shout.

Hi M2M, I've currently got a 2003 mk4 golf 1.9 TDI. 125,000 miles, fully serviced, air con, cruise control, 50+ mpg, was gonna sell it before coming over unless I get a better offer..... LOL

We've just had our 190's granted and we were looking at getting over full time this year. However, the idea of buying a couple of decent cars to sell on to give us a better start has given us a 'plan B'. This would mean a two week validation trip this year, a chunk out of our precious air miles gone, then the big move Easter 2014 in order to meet the 12 month ownership requirement. Just trying to work out if the gains from selling on will make it worth the delay in the move and the costs of a separate validation trip. Glad I found this thread, it might help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy. I moved to Brisbane last year and did something very similar to what you've got in mind. Certain EU cars effectively double or triple in value when you ship them over here (shipping by the way, is actually quite straight-forward). On a 457 you can only bring one car over but it is certainly worth doing - even if you don't plan on selling it due to the hugely inflated car prices over here. By selling my car here, I'm set to make around £30k....which is basically my insurance for covering relocation costs and car shipping (the import tax will be a bit of a sting) + a bit a profit should I decide to head back to the UK at any point. Like others have mentioned, you do need to have proof that you've USED the car for 12 months. My advice would be to buy as expensive a prestige EU car as you can....hold out on moving a year (if necessary), then make a lot of money from it.

I presume once you are here there is no way to buy a car in the UK and import it over, or get your parents to buy the car keep it for 12 months then ship it to you as your own.

That might be a good idea,i was offered my fathers honda jeep as a going away gift but am not able to as need to have owned it for 12 months,could maybe get them to put me down as owner and then ship it 12 months from now,but would there be any point as will have probably purchased a car or two by then