subclass 489 visa - how does it work?

Del70

Hi,

We are looking at Family/State Sponsored Visa 489 for WA. We can claim points for English Language, Skilled Employment, Qualifications, Partner Skill Qualifications, Family Member Sponsorship which gives us 65 points (need 60).

Can someone tell me if we need State Sponsorship too? I keep reading things in different ways, and getting confused.....!

Thanks!

Hi,

We are looking at Family/State Sponsored Visa 489 for WA. We can claim points for English Language, Skilled Employment, Qualifications, Partner Skill Qualifications, Family Member Sponsorship which gives us 65 points (need 60).

Can someone tell me if we need State Sponsorship too? I keep reading things in different ways, and getting confused.....!

Thanks!

No its either Family sponsored or State Sponsored. I know state gives you 10 points. For family sponsored your occupation has to be on the main SOL, if its on the CSOL you can only go State Sponsored. The difference in the two is that if you are family sponsored its supposed to take a little longer to get your visa, but you can live anywhere you want to it WA. If you go State Sponsored you have to live in a regional area of WA, if you look at 489 visa on the DIAC website, at the bottom you will see a link for booklet 6, if you look here it will give you the postcodes, you are not allowed to live or work in and around Perth CBD.

Hope this helps, but I'm no expert, just going off my own experience so far.

Primary School unfortunately, but it still seems to be on the WA skilled list at the moment. It's the only list it's on currently, as far as I can work out......... We know it's not easy trying to get work, and would want to do relief teaching to start off with if we get through. We have some experience out in Oz though, as we did a teacher exchange to rural NSW a couple of years ago, which was an amazing experience. :) Unfortunately it was for 8 months not a year, and doesn't seem to count towards anything Visa-wise........