What to take what to leave behind??

mrsmen

Hello everyone we are moving to Perth in July 2013, myself husband and three children, i would love some valuable advise on what to take in our container and what to leave behind. Does anyone have a list of wish i had taken that or wish i hadnt bothered!

Thanks

Ill be interested in this list too. How long has your process take from the start?

Yeah, me too. Is it worth while to bring white goods? We are only renting at the moment in the UK and we were thinking of buying the white good before we move over there.

Yeah, me too. Is it worth while to bring white goods? We are only renting at the moment in the UK and we were thinking of buying the white good before we move over there.

White goods - usually not, most people say that the price difference is about the same, and you will need them when you get a rental, and if your shipping takes months - you will need to buy them while you wait. Plus you will need to get the plugs changed over.

Ill be interested in this list too. How long has your process take from the start?

It hasnt take too long to be honest the hardest part was making the decision to go! My husband has been offered a job in Perth and they are relocating us, we are just sorting things out here, renting house out deciding what to take etc etc so id say 6 months in total but we have been fortunate that my husbands job is in demand and we are being sponsored. what about you?

Clothes, buy in the sales as much as you can in the next couple of sizes up for the children. Not too many winter clothes, just fleeces/jumpers rather than full on winter coats.

Cosmetics too, stock up on your favourites, I haven't seen voseen kids for example here which we liked in the UK anything channel, clinique is 4 times the price here and of course no boots/nectar points.

I also wish we'd packed up a movecube threee months before we left with plates, pans, spare clothes, bedding, kids toys, bikes etc. It costs about £1,000 for a large one that holds a lot of stuff and it arrives after about three months so if you were organised you could arrive about the same time.

Clothes, buy in the sales as much as you can in the next couple of sizes up for the children. Not too many winter clothes, just fleeces/jumpers rather than full on winter coats.

Cosmetics too, stock up on your favourites, I haven't seen voseen kids for example here which we liked in the UK anything channel, clinique is 4 times the price here and of course no boots/nectar points.

I also wish we'd packed up a movecube threee months before we left with plates, pans, spare clothes, bedding, kids toys, bikes etc. It costs about £1,000 for a large one that holds a lot of stuff and it arrives after about three months so if you were organised you could arrive about the same time.

Thanks, thats great information i did think of buying the kids a stock of clothes in a bigger size but wasnt sure if it was worth it, do you think shipping our sofa is worth it as its quite old what is the price of furniture like in Perth? I heard there is an IKEA?? thanks

Have a look at Harvey Norman website, they sell furniture and white goods, that should give you an idea, of prices.

I would bring as much as you can though and like Pom Princess said, stock up on everything

Check out Ikea AU, online, I have heard its a lot more expensive than the UK Ikeas

We are in Tas, but we threw loads of stuff out before we left the UK, and it has cost a fortune to replace it all .

Have a look at Harvey Norman website, they sell furniture and white goods, that should give you an idea, of prices.

I would bring as much as you can though and like Pom Princess said, stock up on everything

Check out Ikea AU, online, I have heard its a lot more expensive than the UK Ikeas

We are in Tas, but we threw loads of stuff out before we left the UK, and it has cost a fortune to replace it all .

Thanks i will have a look on that site, i think we will take as much as we can fit in, one more question take beds too?? thanks for the help everyone

We didn't bring the sofa because ours was about 4 years old, we did pay about £600 for something that's £400 in the UK but i'm sure it would have cost more than £200 to ship it and it's older if that makes sense.

I brought, family photo's, chests of drawers that were in really good condition, under 3 years old, prams if you need them or might do, clothes, toys, tables, chairs.

The only things I really threw out were things I would have naturally replaced over the next 12 months anyway.

Archived