Moving the dog

Kev Rad

Hi All

Been looking into getting the dog sorted out for the move with us. Just wondering if anyone who has done this has tried to do it themselves rather than using a pet moving service?

I know you can go various levels and do all the paperwork and vet stuff yourself then use a freight company to book the dog on the aircraft.

Any advice, positive and negative would be great.

Thanks

Kev

personaly would not risk it.If something goes wrong and your Dog cant get into Aus for whatever reason, incorrect paperwork or something,it could end up being a complete nightmare.Anything could go wrong, but if you have a company handling everything for you, they will be able to sort out any probs for you.

Just not worth the risk.

I have to agree with what has been said. I am all for saving money, as it flows out quicker than it comes in in this game, but would say if you have decided to take your pooch, I would use an agent. As has also been said, most of the pet shippers have different packages where you could do some of the work yourself and save some money. The quarantine laws in Oz are very strict and they want each i dotted and every t crossed.

Thanks All

Was what I thought. We will try to do as much as we can with regards the vets etc and buying our own IATA crate but think we will go with a professional mover for the rest. Anyone got any recommendations? The ones I've looked at all seem to get good reviews. PetAir seem consistently good. Anyone got any rough costs and what service you got from where? My wife is a great believer in going with a good recommendation.

Thanks

Kev :err:

I would totally recommend PetAir, we're using them when we fly our bitch out, they've been nothing but helpful and I've never heard a bad review about them, they're really clear too and not over-priced. It'll cost us about 2k to take our bitch out, about £1,200 for flight and import permits/export permits, and about £800 for quarantine. That's without the vet fees though which have amounted to about £200 from my vet. My bitch is about 6kg and a Miniature Schnauzer though, I think a lot depends on size as you have to be very specific. They also make you an aircrate to fit your dog instead of the other way around, you can put bedding in, and they spray it with DAP calming spray. I have been quoted far less by other companies but when it comes to quality over cost, this is something I just cannot risk.

We have had some quotes for our dog.

Export from the UK has varied, cheapest £2100 to £3400 with two different companies

Quarantine cost for in OZ £900

Internal shipping to destination from Quarantine centre £350 plus another crate cost.

Archived